Chapter 1 : An Ordinary Day

(Ten Days Before)

Tons of papers were piled up on top of the table in front of Detective Lee. He haven't slept for days because he was too busy. He can't even remember when was the last time he closed his eyes. There are many cases the passed few days that they need to investigate and solve as soon as possible. And there is no such word like rest or break in the vocabulary of people like him.

He has to stay up all night, looking and reading the piles of cases and informations. He has to figure out the pattern, motives and other things that can lead them in captivating the culprits. He can't even enjoy a single meal because of those whom he calls as 'bastards' who kept doing crimes and giving them a hard time.

He's been a detective for almost ten years, he should have gotten used to it but it still pisses him off. Maybe that's just a detective's nature.

He thought that if criminals doesn't exist, how peaceful the world would be but he probably won't be having his job too.

"Damn!" He groaned while pulling his own hair. "I'm so annoyed."

"Detective Lee, wanna go out to have lunch with the team? You should also take some rest, you won't be able to work if you get sick, you know?" One of his colleagues walked towards him.

His name is Kairo Sedis Parker, he's older than him but Detective Lee has been in service longer, so that makes him his senior. Detective Parker is also half korean and half american while Detective Lee is a pure blooded one. He is friendly but they don't usually hang out because Detective Parker is more like an outside person because he's always working outside and he loves being surrounded by his colleagues, unlike Detective Lee.

"I wish I could, Detective Parker, I still have to review some of these." He pointed at the papers in front of him.

The detective just smiled and shook his head. "You're too hard working but you don't want to get promoted. You should take some rest too, seonbae." He patted his shoulder jokingly.

"Being in a higher position means higher responsibility and more working at the office. I already have more paper works and I enjoy chasing criminals outside. No, thanks." He just frowned and twitch his lips.

"Hahaha. I admire you. But trust me, take some rest too. I'll get going if you don't wanna come with us." He waved his hands before walking out.

Cameron wished he could be as easy going as they are. He became a detective because of the only one reason. It's not because of money, position or fame. He just simply wanted to make sure that there is peace and give the people a safe environment to live in. He wants the children to enjoy their childhood without any fear of being harmed. He wanted the parents to be comfortable and secured that their children are safe and fine while they're doing their own works. He wanted everyone to experience the things he never got to experience in his childhood.

Yes. His childhood isn't as fun as the other children he knew. His childhood is like a living hell as he describes. He didn't get to know his parents because before he could even see his parents or say their name, he was taken away from them. He was abducted on the very day he was born. Perhaps that's what they've told him and what he witnessed as he grew up.

When he was rescued, he was sent to a welfare house or what is commonly known as an orphanage but what he expected to be a place where he could finally be at ease, is just another hell for him. He was abused physically and mentally by some staffs and his peers there but he couldn't even muster up the courage to tell anyone. It's not because he was a coward but because he doesn't know who to trust. He once thought he'll just study hard and wait until he can finally get out of that hell but then because of the help of a good person, he was saved. He thought there's no such thing as kindness but when he met Detective Harold Lee, he finally can say that the world is not that worst as he thinks. Even if not everyone is trustworthy, someone is.

Harold Lee helped him a lot and taught him every single thing he knew. He treated him like his own son. He gave him his last name but more than that, he gave him the love he never thought he'd ever receive. He's the most important person in his life but his destiny is really cruel because five years after he became one of the ranked officials, he disappeared on a mission, believed to be death.

They tried to look for him but they found nothing, they found no one. They wanted to declare him dead but Cameron denied. He promised himself that he will find him himself.
He will solve his adoptive father's disappearance. Detective Harold Lee's disappearance hit him like a bolt of lightning but he told himself, as long as no one found his corpse, he's alive and will come back to him. He will look for him and he's still looking for him. He will never give up, not until he sees for himself that he is already dead.

"Hey! You're almost gonna drown because of how deep yout thoughts are. They're deeper than Mariana Trench." He heard a familiar voice beside him.

He immediately stood up to give respect. "Chief Simon, sorry I didn't notice your presence." He saluted.

The lady just smiled and shook her head. "Tsk. You've been working for five straight days, take some rest at your quarters." She commanded.

Detective Lee also smiled slightly and shook his head. "I have no time to rest. I have a lot of things to work with."

"Take some sleep so you can think straight. Come on, I'll talk to you when you've had enough sleep." She patted his shoulder and walk towards her office.

She is the Head of the Detective Agency, Sara Simon. She's only thirty five but she's already very successful. She is well respected in their department especially because she is just and kind, she's also very beautiful but unknowingly single. Since it's his boss who advised him to rest, Cameron finally stood up from his sit and walked his way towards the quarter. It's better than driving to his apartment which is not so far from the station anyway. He opened the door and just slumbed to bed and close his eyes. Before he knew, he's already fast asleep.

After some time, the door of the quarter opened a little. The lady from earlier, Chief Simon is standing and looking at him with a smile on her face. She sighed as she looked at Detective Lee's sleeping face. He's still frowning even in his sleep. Chief Simon admires Detective Lee a lot. Not just because he's a very talented person when it comes to his profession but also because she sees his bright side. After some times, she slowly and carefully closed the door.