Chapter 42 : Instinct

Devius suddenly felt something weird while he was having a conversation with his sister. He felt somehow worried for no reason. His heart begun pounding as if he's being chased. But what bothered him the most is when he suddenly thought of Detective Lee. Daena instantly noticed that her brother is thinking of something.

"Vius, are you alright? Does you wound hurt?" Daena worriedly asked and sat beside her brother.

Officer Chad shook his head. "No, but I felt something weird. I feel worried for no apparent reason." He said.

"Maybe it's just a side effect from your surgery." His sister said but Devius wasn't convinced at all, he knows something is wrong.

"No, I felt like something wrong. I'm worried about Detective Lee. I think something happened to him, which I wish not." He said in a really worried voice.

"Do you want me to look for him, then? I'm sure he's just outside, buying some food like he said earlier." Daena said to calm her brother.

He doesn't know why but he really felt worried. He bit his lower lips out of nervousness. He wanted to go look for Detective Cameron Lee himself but he knew that his sister just wouldn't let him leave the hospital bed. Officer Chad doesn't feel anything about his body anymore except for the little pain in his wound. He couldn't just sit there feeling like that so he thought of a way to escape from his sister's sight.

"Little princess, go get my phone at the nurse station. I want to call someone." That's the only reason he could think of so he couldn't get out of his sister's sight.

"Nurse station? Why would it be there?" Daena confusedly asked.

Officer Chad took a deep breath. "I asked them to charge it. Just get it there, I'm sure it's in the nurse station."

"Okay, wait for me here. Don't move, just stay in your bed." Daena stood up and walked out of the door.

As soon as the door was shut, Officer Chad got out of his hospital bed. He carefully stripped the dextrose from his hand and changed into his clothes. He winced as he felt the pain from his wounds. He even feel a little dizzy from standing up but the worried feeling he has towards Detective Lee, nothing is gonna stop him from looking for his partner. He peeked at the door to see if anyone was out and when he didn't see anyone, he quickly went out the room and headed out of the hospital.

He took his phone out of his pocket and started dialing Detective Lee's number but he's signal was busy. That made Devius feel even more worried. He looked around but he didn't see his partner. He went to the nearby store but there were only a few people inside and Cameron isn't one of them.

"Where the hell are you, Cai?" Devius whispered to himself while trying to dial his partner's number again.

He went to the other side of the road. He kept looking from side to side until he finally reached the restaurant where Detective Lee was earlier but of course, he didn't see him there. Officer Chad crossed to the other side of the road again. He tried dialing Cameron's number for the third time but it was still busy.

"Why the hell am I so worried about this? What the hell is happening to you right now, Cai?" He took a deep breath and started looking from side to side.

Officer Chad went to the parking area but he didn't find his partner there. He was already looking for him for about thirty minutes yet he still didn't see any sign of Detective Lee. Devius didn't even feel his wound that begun opening and it started hurting more and more but his worried feeling is giving him the encouragement to look further.

When he felt dizzy, he took shade under a tree and that's when he spotted Detective Lee, leaning unconscious to a wall on the other side of the road. Some people are gathered around him but no one is doing something to help him other than being a nosy freak.

"C-Cai?" He blinked his eyes to get rid of the dizziness.

Officer Chad quickly run towards Detective Lee. He saw him holding his phone in his hand. Devius wound opened up from all the moving he did but he couldn't feel the pain. Just the fact that he found his partner unconscious is enough to make him not mind anything aside from Cameron's safety.

"Cai, what happened to you? Wake up!" He shook his shoulder to wake him up but he's completely passed out.

"Sir, do you know him?" An elderly woman asked, Officer Chad nodded his head.

"Does anyone know what happened to him?" He asked the people around.

"We don't really know. There was a weird guy standing in front of him earlier, just watching him and when some people started gathering around, he just left." A guy wearing a blue shirt, probably about thirty years old, narrated.

"A weird guy?" Officer Chad asked in suspicion.

"Yes, he's really weird. He's wearing a long black coat with a hood in this hot day." The same elderly lady stated.

"A man wearing a black coat?" Devius furrowed his brows.

"Oh, I saw everything earlier too. That weird guy was the one who put him in that position." A teenage boy said.

"Did you see his face?" Devius asked but everyone of them shook their heads in response.

Officer Chad wasn't sure if these person are talking about the same guy he has in mind but he has a great feeling that the person they are talking about and the culprit are the same. He stared at his passed out partner. He took a deep breath and started carrying Detective Lee on his back. He could feel his wound hurting now but he felt more worried about Cameron's state.

"Cai, what exactly happened to you?" He whispered while walking back to the hospital.

When he reached the hospital, some nurse immediately run to their aid and carried Detective Lee to the stretcher. Officer Chad was immediately taken care of too. His wound has to be cleaned and stitched up again as it opened up from carrying Detective Lee. The back of his clothes are even stained with his blood.

After some moments, Detective Lee finally gained consciousness. His sight was greeted by the white ceiling of the hospital room. When he turned to his side, he saw an IV inserted to his arm. He could still feel the dizziness from when he passed out on the road. His head is throbbing too.

"Cai, are you feeling okay now?" He turned to the other side when he heard Officer Chad's voice.

"You? You're not supposed to be here. Why did you got off your bed?" Cameron struggled to sat up.

"I got worried about you. Fortunately, I saw you on the road passed out but unharmed. What really happened to you?" Devius queried in a worried tone.

After hearing his partner, he sighed and furrowed his brows. "You looked for me? You mean, you went out of the hospital to look for me? Are you insane? Your wounds could get worse!" He lectured.

"Well, I was so worried. Do you expect me to just sit in bed knowing that something might have happened to you?" The other argued.

"But still, you're not well. If something like this happens again, don't look for me because I can handle myself."

"But—"

"No buts, Devius Chad. I don't want you to risk your life for me. I don't want you to be in danger just to save me... not again. I can't handle it if you get hurt because of me." That came out of Cameron's mouth without him being aware of it.

Just thinking about Officer Chad being in danger makes him feel really bad. He doesn't want the feeling of someone taking the risk because of him, especially Devius. Cameron doesn't want to voice out whatever he feels but it's too late because he already said it without knowing. With that, Devius' feeling became more at ease.

"You're worried about me?" Officer Chad couldn't hide the huge smile on his face.

"Who's worried about you? I was just saying." He tried to reason out but he knew he couldn't take it back and he has no intention of taking it back either.

"Just admit it, Cai. I can see and I can feel it that you're worried. There's no use denying it."

Looking at Officer Chad's huge smile, he couldn't help but feel relieved. At least nothing worst happened to the both of them. Cameron was relieved that Officer Chad is well. Just like how Devius is glad that Detective Lee is fine. Cameron stared at his partner and hid his smile before Devius sees it.