Chapter 24 : The Accident

Detective Lee has been looking everywhere for Officer Chad. He went back to the station but he didn't find his partner there. He went to the hospital where Michael was admitted, thinking that he went to make sure of the kid's safety but he wasn't there either. It's getting dark and it might be a little dangerous for him to be alone, especially in his state of mind. Even a professional like him can be very vulnerable when he isn't in his right composure.

After searching and calling his partner and getting unanswered, he ended in front of a bar where he got a tracked of Devius' phone. He was hesitant to get in at first because he hates being in those kinds of places but in the end, he found himself walking inside. There, he saw Officer Chad gulping some kind of liquor. He sighed and walked towards his partner.

He straightly looked at him. "Why are you here instead of working?" Detective Lee asked.

"Don't mind me, I'll go back to work later. I just need to wind up, sunbay." The other responded.

"I told you, it's seonbae not sunbay." He corrected him.

Devius smiled. "Yeah, maybe I should watch more kdrama so that I can perfect my pronunciation." He joked.

"Officer Chad, do you want to tell me what was that earlier?" Detective Lee sat beside Officer Chad as he gulp on his drink.

"It's nothing, Detective Lee." Devius shook his head, lying.

"Nothing? If anyone got stab here, would you call it nothing too?" He raised his eyebrow, eyeing Officer Chad.

Devius hesitantly turned to him. "Of course, it's different. If I see someone got stabbed, I'll definitely help him." He answered.

"Exactly." Cameron nodded his head while pointing his finger at his partner. "That's definitely how I feel now. I wanted to help you but you're refusing my help." He stated.

"It's really just a call from someone I know." He lied again.

"Fine, I'll find that someone you know right now and ask him myself." Cameron stood up and was about to walk out but he felt Devius' hand on him. "What?"

"Why do you wanna help me?" Devius sounded a bit drunk now.

"What else do you expect me to do, Chad?" Cameron asked with a sigh.

"You can just ignore me, why would you even bother looking for me the whole day? Why call me hundred times? Why would you even help me?" Officer Chad asked, looking straight at Cameron's eyes.

Detective Lee took a deep breath and face his junior. "I did that because I care for you, Devius. I am worried about you when you just suddenly walked out and disappeared. I got worried when I saw that unfamiliar expression in your face. I'm simply worried about you because I care for you, Devius." He said that while holding Officer Chad's shoulder.

Hearing those words from a person who looked like a living iceberg, Devius felt his heart being touched in a strange way, especially when he heard Cameron saying his name the whole time. His feelings became more at ease and calm unlike earlier. His worries miraculously faded away like smoke in thin air. He suddenly felt secured. So, he decided to tease his partner a bit.

"Do you care for me that much, Detective Lee? Are you in love with me now?" He smirked, teasing the man.

Detective Lee's eyes went big. Hearing those questions made him jolt out of his chair and quickly let go of Devius'shoulder. Looking around, worrying that somebody might have heard what the officer just said, then he glared at him.

"You're drunk, huh? Let's go home if you want to stay alive." He turned around.

"Hey, answer me first. Did you fall for me?" Devius said, laughing.

"Tss!" He growled then started walking away.

"Han Se hyung..." Detective Lee stopped on his tracks when he heard Officer Chad addressing him like that. "...look at me."

Caneron wasn't sure if Officer Chad was still joking but his voice sounded serious now. He wanted to just ignore him and walk away then he felt Devius' hand on his wrist.

"Devius Chad, I don't have time for more of your jokes. We're so busy about the case." Cameron said without moving an inch, without looking back at his partner.

Officer Chad stared at his back. He sighed with a smile and slowly let go of Cameron's hand. Detective Lee turned to face him but Devius just smiled and patted his shoulder before walking away and out of the bar. Detective Lee quickly followed him outside. He saw Officer Chad getting headed to the direction of the car.

"Devius!" Detective Lee called out but Devius didn't hear him.

Cameron shook his head and walk towards the car. He went inside and looked at Officer Chad. Devius' eyes are closed but he surely is still awake. Detective Lee wanted to talk to him about the incident earlier but he chose to stay quiet and just started driving. But instead of going home or to the station, he headed to a nearby place where the people normally go to watch the sky at night. He didn't go there even once but as what other says, that place is calming.

Looking at his juniors face, he know that Devius needed some rest and winding up. Devius knows that they are heading in a different route because he had memorized it already. He also knows where they are heading because he once took his sister, Daena, there before. He tried hard not to smile and just pretend to sleep. When the car stopped, he felt a cold can on his face.

"Hey!" He quickly snatched the canned beer that Detective Lee was holding. "I thought you hate to drink?"

"Tss! Just be thankful and stop being noisy." Cameron rolled his eyes.

"How did you eaten get these?"

"I bought some earlier before heading to the bar." Cameron answered.

They went out and sat in front of the car. The cold wind touched their skin, making them both feel the blow that was so relaxing. Devius closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He still feels tipsy but chose to open the can and gulp it. The wind is calming his mind but the presence if the man beside him is giving him more than just a comfort, Cameron's presence made him feel safe and secured.

"Take it easy, no one's gonna take it from you." Detective Lee lectured.

"Ahhh. Can you stop being a mood destroyer for just a second?" Devius turned to Cameron, twitching the side of lips.

"Tss! Mood destroyer my ass." He said.

"But seriously, Detective Lee, thank you for being with me. Thank you for accompanying me and bringing me here." He smiled.

Detective Lee just nodded his head. They stayed silent for a while. Gulping beers and looking up at the sky. Moments later, the beer was almost out, Officer Chad being the one who had taken much of it. Detective Lee just had two cans but still had been affected by the alcohol. After gulping the last can, Devius Chad looked at Detective Lee who was staring up at the sky, enjoying the view of the million stars. He then saw some kind of feather flew onto Detective Lee's hair.

"Hey, Chad, about what happened earlier. I won't force you to tell me everything but if you needed some help, I'm always here." Cameron stated.

"Hmm." Devius simply hummed because he was too focus on the feather on Detective Lee's hair.

"But if you felt comfortable telling me soon, I'll be ready to listen."

"Hmm." Devius responded again, his face getting nearer at Cameron's hair.

Detective Lee thought that Officer Chad wasn't comfortable to talk about it so he just stayed silent and continued watching the sky. But in reality, Devius wasn't even listening. He slowly leaned towards Cameron's hair and lifted his hand, slowly reaching for the feather. Detective Lee felt it. They where just an inch apart so when Cameron turned to looked at what Devius was doing, their lips accidentally touch. They were both stunned but everything happened swiftly and because of shock, they couldn't even move away from each, making their lips touch longer as the wind play with their hairs.