Chapter 35 : Piece of the Past

Detective Lee took a while before finally falling asleep but the moment he closed his eyes, he found himself on that same basement again. He was standing in front of the mirror, staring directly at his reflection. But unlike before, it wasn't his younger version, it was himself in the present. He was aware it's another nightmare but his awareness scares him more. Cameron heard a foot steps from behind.

"Red... you're here?"

He swallowed hard and when he was about to turn around, his eyes opened and he was back in his room. He was thankful that he woke up but the curiosity and confusion in his mind is eating him up. The fact that he heard the word Red in his dream is already more than enough to wake his curiosity up.

"Why did I dream about that place again? Who was that person behind?" He whispered to himself as he wipe the sweat on his forehead.

"Hyung? You alright?" He heard Devius' voice, but when he tried to turn to him, he woke up again.

This time, Cameron woke up for real. He sat up in confusion and wandered his eyes around the dark room. He quickly turned to check if Officer Chad was in the room with and he felt relieved when saw him sleeping on his bed. Detective Lee gave out a sigh of relief upon realizing that he's back to reality.

"What was that? A dream in a dream?" He panted.

It was the first time he had a dream on a dream. He looked at the clock and it was only three o'clock midnight. He got up to drink some water and returned to his bed afterwards. Feeling relieved now and calmed down, he went back to bed and immediately fall asleep but then, he found himself on the same dream again!

"What the hell is happening? Why am I back to this place again?" He asked himself, feeling annoyed yet scared.

"Because it's a piece of your past and you can never escape from it." A familiar yet unfamiliar voice spoke behind him.

He was facing the mirror, yet he couldn't see the reflection of who was speaking from behind. He wanted to look back but his body was as stiff as a cement, he couldn't move an inch. Cameron tried his best but still couldn't move any of his body parts. He could only stand there and listen to the footsteps behind him.

"Who are you?" Detective Lee asked.

A chuckle was heard. "I am who you know very well yet on the other hand, I am also the person you never recognized." The man said.

"I don't understand at all." Cameron said confused.

"I am you. I am Red."

He was taken aback after hearing that word. "Red?"

"I'll give you a riddle, listen carefully." He felt a hand on his shoulder yet there was no reflection on the mirror except from him. "My identity is found in the depths of your bitter memories. I am who you have long forgotten but the one you also remember every day. I am the piece of your past, I exist because it's me who completes you." The voice stated the riddle but Cameron couldn't understand.

He just stood there trying to figure out what that riddle had to say. He was confused, the voice was very familiar but he could not recognize it. He repeated the riddle in his mind but he became even more confused. He stared at the mirror in front of him as it slowly became blurry and filled with blood.

"Cai, wake up." A voice echoed from all over the room.

That's when everything started to fade and he woke up back in his room. He opened his eyes to see a worried Devius looking at him. He stared at him for a while before he sat up.

"Are you alright, Cai? You, you're having a nightmare again?" Officer Chad asked.

Detective Lee slightly nodded. "Mmm."

"Wait here, I'll get you some water." Officer Chad uttered and was about to go to the kitchen but he was stopped by Cameron's hand on his wrist. "Why? Is there something else?"

"What did you call me again? Cai?" Detective Lee furrowed his brows.

Devius nodded. "Yes, I called you Cai. Why?" He asked confused.

"Why did you call me that?"

"Well, because you always wake up when I call you Cai." Officer Chad explained.

Cameron let go of his hand and followed him with his eyes when he went to get some water. A thought of idea popped up in his mind. Every time he had that same nightmare, after hearing Officer Chad's voice, he instantly wakes up. It's as if his voice was the key that frees him from those nightmares. Devius'voice always brought him back to reality.

"Here's your water, senior." Devius handed him a glass of water and sat on the bed.

"Thank you." He said.

"This is the second time that you had a nightmare, I know it wasn't just a simple nightmare, senior." Officer Chad spoke in a worried voice, Cameron only looked at him.

It's true. It wasn't just a simple nightmare. It was his past, hunting him. Those nightmares terrifies him a lot yet he wanted to find out more. He knows there's something about his nightmare that connects him to his past. He remembers all the bad things that happened but he was sure there's something he is forgetting. The nightmares couldn't just be dreams but can be a piece of the past. He took a deep breath and looked at the man in front of him.

"Devius?" Detective Lee called his name.

"Yes? Do you want more water, senior?" The other questioned.

"No, I'm fine. But how did you know I was having a nightmare again?" Detective Lee queried.

"Well, I heard your little groans again. You are like those puppies Daena had before. They groans when dreaming." Devius replied with a laugh.

Cameron frowned and stated, "Do I look like a dog to you? How dare you compare me to a dog?"

Officer Chad chortled quietly while saying. "You're so cute, Cai. You're even cuter than Spaux, Juji and Pierre."

"Who are those?" Detective asked in confusion.

Devius laughed even more. "Pfft—Daena's puppies." He replied.

But then, instead of getting annoyed, Cameron just stared at Officer Chad. For no apparent reason, he couldn't take his eyes off of him. His heart got nervous and started being unknowingly fast as he watch the latter laughed. Devius' laughter could unknowingly ease the burden in his heart. The fear he felt from his nightmare earlier just magically disappeared. It's amusing that Devius' laughs could do much.

"Senior?" He was pulled to reality by a snap. "I was calling you and you're spacing out. Why are you staring at me?" Devius asked.

Detective Lee panicked a bit but managed to hide it. "Just go back to sleep and we'll continue the investigation again tomorrow. We still have to find where Michael's mother was." He said instead of answering.

Hearing that, Officer Chad felt concerned again as the kid hasn't spoken yet and his mother's whereabouts are still unknown. His smile faded as he nodded his head.

"You're right, I'll go back to sleep then, senior." Devius patted his shoulder and stood up.

When he was about to walk towards his bed, Detective Lee spoke. "Hey, wait—"

Officer Chad turned to him. "What is it?"

"Return the glass to the kitchen." He commanded making Officer Chad to pout.

"You are really mean to me. I thought you had something to say, you just ordered me." Devius jutted his lips and took the glass, returning it to the kitchen.

Cameron smiled unconsciously but he immediately erased it in a blink of an eye. He just went back to lying down. After a while, Officer Chad laid down on the bed too but none of them went back to sleep immediately. They were both just staring at the ceiling and observing each other. They did that for quite sometime until they felt dozy again and fell asleep.