Chapter 21 : Taken Seriously

They have been drinking for a while now. Devius even went to buy more liquor just so he could get Cameron drunk and make him forget everything that happened earlier. But in the end, both of them got drunk.

"Detective Lee, just don't think about what I said earlier, okay?" Devius kept saying that even if he's already drunk.

"Tss! Telling something that's hard to believe then force me to forget it just like that?" Cameron gulped his drinks too.

Both of them had been drinking for almost an hour. They are both drunk but Officer Chad drunk a lot more than Detective Lee did so his senior is more in the right mind than him.

"Hayst! Don't force yourself to like someone just because they liked you. Trust me, it's really fine." Devius said again, standing for what he said earlier.

Cameron went silent. "It's not that." He sighed.

"Hmm?"

"No one has ever confessed to me before, so I don't really know how to respond when you said you liked me." Detective Lee said.

Officer Chad looked at him in disbelief. "You're hell handsome and no one has ever confessed their love to you? Don't joke around with me." He laughed but Cameron shook his head.

"I don't joke around like that, Chad."

"Hell, no? So, no one ever told you that they like you?"

"I just said that you're the first person to ever confessed to me, right?" Cameron rolled his eyes.

"Well, maybe because you're too intimidating?" Devius laughed.

Cameron stared at Devius because of what he said. He has a point, maybe he was too intimidating that's why no one ever dared to confessed to him.

"Senior, just don't mind my confession. Hmm?" Devius repeated.

But in this case, he can't just ignore it. First, because it's the first time someone confessed to him. Second, the one who confessed to him was a guy and third, he doesn't want to ignore his feelings because he knows how it felt to be ignored. The difference is, Devius wasn't being honest when he said he liked him. It was just a made up lie to prevent him from answering the phone and talking with the culprit.

"But let me asked you one question." Detective Lee mumbled, looking directly at Devius' eyes.

"What is it, senior?"

"Why do you like me?"

Officer Chad wasn't prepared for that. "Huh?"

"Why do you like me? It has just been more than a week since we met, how did you fell for me that fast?" He repeated.

'Oh, shit!' Devius cursed in his mind.

Luckily, he remembered one line from his sister's favorite novel. "Time has to do nothing about falling in love, you know?" He twitched his lips.

Detective Lee was even more confused about the answer. "Huh?"

"Time has to do nothing when talking about love. A person can fall in love with just at first glance, that's what we call love at first sight. When you fell in love, it doesn't matter whether you've known that person for a very long time or if you had just met." He explained.

"Then? What about you? Did you like me at first sight?" Detective Lee asked again.

'Damn! I hate you at first sight, to be honest.'

Devius knows that Cameron was already drunk because of the look on his face. He wanted to just shove his question off but the eagerness on his eyes made Officer Chad consider answering. The whole 'I'm in love with you' thing was just a made up lie but he felt like wanting to answer this question.

Devius Chad smiled. "I don't really like you at first. You looked arrogant and overconfident. You also never smiled and the way you look at people doesn't show any emotions at all. It's as if you're looking at nothing." He slightly laughed remember how annoyed he is when they first had an encounter. "But when I got to spend time with you, I realized you were not that bad. You just wanted to hide inside your shell to not get hurt, you're like a turtle. When I saw you smile that night, I was mesmerized. That was the first time that I had a chance to see your smile." Devius said that in all honesty without even realizing it but Cameron felt it.

Because of that, he believed Devius' lie more. "Then, give me a chance." He uttered.

Devius looked at him, confused. "What? What chance?"

Cameron smiled and stood up, walked towards his bed before turning to Officer Chad. "Give me a chance to try and like you back. I've never liked someone before, so I don't know how or what it feels to like a person but let me at least try."

"What? No, you don't have to do that, senior. I don't want my confession to be a burden to you." Devius awkwardly refused but Cameron is determined.

"Just...Just give me a chance, Devius." After he said those words, he fell flat on his bed and fell asleep.

'Shit!'

Devius' lips were left open, then he begun laughing because of Cameron. He's not laughing because Detective Lee believed his lie. He laughed because he felt some unfamiliar feeling in his heart while staring at the sleeping detective.

"Devius Wayne Chad, you'll probably regret making this lie up." He told himself.

He then picked up Detective Lee's phone and blocked the culprit's number so he could not contact him anymore. After cleaning the table, he opened the window for some fresh air. But when he looked down, he saw an unfamiliar figure behind a tree. He couldn't see it clearly but he felt the stare from below then the figure disappeared in the shade.

"Am I being so paranoid?" He sighed asking himself.

"Chance...give me a chance." He glanced back when he heard Cameron talking.

"Sleep talking? New discovery." He laughed.

Devius closed the window and lay on his bed too. He texted his sister, Daena, first before placing his phone under his pillow. He stared at the ceiling before closing his eyes.

The next morning, he was awaken by a delicious scent. He furrowed his brows before opening his eyes and getting up. Cameron woke up early because of a headache. He saw Officer Chad still sleeping so he decided to make some breakfast and soup for hangover.

"Woah! That smells good, senior. You're really a good cooked." Devius complimented while taking some water from the fridge.

"It's so early in the morning and you're already so noisy." Cameron shook his head.

Devius looked at his partner's usual expressionless face. He thought Cameron had already forgotten about the confession he made up last night but he's totally wrong because Detective Lee clearly remembered everything. He could even remember telling Officer Chad to give him a chance to like him back. Cameron still find it unbelievable but he can't just ignore his partner's confession. He feels awkward but he wouldn't show it because he doesn't want to offend Officer Chad who was completely unaware. Unaware of what his made up lie did to Cameron's mind.

"You could be a cook, Detective Lee." He praised again.

Before, he would ignore Devius' compliments but now it's different. He wanted to but he just can't. He doesn't want Devius to feel offended now that he knew how his partner felt.

"Uhm...thanks." He simply responded.

Devius sat on the chair while watching Cameron prepare their breakfast. "This looks like a husband and wife scenario, isn't it?" He joked but Detective Lee almost choked because of that.

"Just...stop talking and eat. We can't be late, there's a meeting later." He lectures.

Officer Chad nodded and begun eating. Detective Lee was wondering how could someone just act normally after confessing while Officer Chad was just thinking about how delicious the food is. Cameron can't even concentrate eating his food because he felt awkward towards the other guy.