Chapter 18 : The Next Victim 1

Officer Davius Wayne Chad suddenly felt unsafe around the tall trees and grasses. As if someone has been watching them from behind those massive trees. The call made him anxious but he wasn't afraid at all, just worried. The wind blowing the trees, making its leaves to fall on the ground that's already piled up with dried leaves. The atmosphere isn't comfortable too as the surroundings is starting to get dark. He took a deep breath and walked towards the detective.

"Cameron?... Caiseus?... Cam?... Cai?..." He called Cameron calmly but his partner seemed so distracted that he didn't even heard him. "Detective Lee..." He once again said but still got no response. "Cameron Caiseus Lee!" When he called him the third time and still got no response, he called him louder. "Hey! Detective Cameron Caiseus Lee!"

"Ha? What?" Detective Lee looked at Officer Chad with confusion.

"What's wrong with you? I've been calling you for a while now." Devius asked, wrinkling his brows.

Detective Lee once again look back and Officer Chad followed but saw nothing. There's only dried leaves.

"What happened? What is it? What are you looking at?" Devius asked.

"I saw a suspicious man earlier, standing behind this tree." He said, pointing behind the tree.

Devius felt something was off but he doesn't want to show it because the culprit might just be around. He's the kind of person who doesn't want to show his weakness because it might be used against him by the enemies.

"There was no one there, aren't you just mistaken?" He simply asked.

Detective Lee shook his head. "Nevermind. Let's just go."

Detective Lee begun walking towards the car and Officer Chad was about to follow when he felt his phone vibrating again. He furrowed his eyebrows when he saw that it's the same number who called him earlier but still answered it.

He heard a chuckle on the other side. "Looking for me, officer?" The unnatural deep voice of a man asked, confirmed, it's the same person from earlier.

"What do you want? Who are you? Are you the one who killed those innocent lives?" Devius tried not to scream in anger by balling his fist.

The voice gave out a soft laugh. "You will know once we met. I'll see you soon, Officer Devius Wayne Chad." After that, the call ended again.

'What the hell?'

He feels frustrated but decided to shrugged it off, so Detective Lee won't notice. He's caught between telling and not telling his partner about the call. He then walked to the car and they both hopped in and drived back to the city. It's already dark when they arrived at their station. Most of their colleagues are already sleeping in their quarters and some are already asleep in their desk.

They are both bothered by something but they didn't notice each other's reaction because they are both busy thinking about their own worries. Cameron Lee is thinking about the man he saw on the forest earlier and Devius Chad is busy thinking about who might the killer and if he should or should not tell his senior about the call he received.

Both men marched their ways to the office of their commanding officer. They knocked first before entering.

"Good evening, Chief Simon." They both respectfully greeted.