Chapter 56 : Fear

(Flashback)

Cameron was silently sitting on the chair beside Detective Parker who is busy munching on the apple that Officer Chad bought for him. Detective Lee gave out a sigh, he was still thinking and trying to figure out what Red's other purpose is. Scaring him and making him worry isn't the main plan, he knows that. But what? Stabbing Detective Parker and bringing him to his place, telling him about the mysterious name of Lee Jin Hong, something must be more than just scaring, teasing and threatening him. He just don't know what that is for now but he'll figure it out.

"You want some apple?" Kairo offered him a slice.

Cameron shook his head. "No, I'm fine."

"You sure? They're sweet. Officer Chad bought them." He smiled.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He refused.

After that, both of them went silent again. They've been colleagues for a long time but they never had a longer discussion. It doesn't feel awkward but it wasn't that comfortable either especially because there's only two of them inside a four-cornered room.

"Cam, can I ask you something?" Detective Parker broke the silence after some time.

Detective Lee nodded and turned to him. "What is it?"

Detective Parker sat up properly, very careful because his wound was still hurting. He place the plate on the table beside his bed and leaned on the pillow behind. He took a deep breath and looked the latter directly in the eyes. A hint of hesitance could be seen in his eyes.

"What is your childhood like?" That question made Cameron furrow his brows, no one has ever asked him that question before—not even Officer Chad.

"Why are you suddenly asking that question, Parker?" He confusedly asked.

"Well, nothing. I'm just curious."

"Why?"

"You never told us your childhood, not even Chief Simon knows it. I'm just curious, you seem really mysterious to me. We've been colleagues for a long time but I felt like I only know your name. Aside from that, everything about you is a stranger to me." Detective Parker explained.

Cameron went silent. This kind of topic, he wasn't and will never be ready to talk about it, especially with someone he's not that close with. He only told a little information to Devius, there's still a lot he is keeping inside him and he doesn't plan to even give anyone a peek on it. The only person who knew him inside and out was his adoptive father who was still missing to this days—Harold Lee.

"There's nothing interesting about my childhood." He simply answered, Kairo nodded.

"Mine isn't that interesting either. I play almost all day, everyday and my mother would pull me by the ear to drag me home. Was your childhood like that?" Detective Parker said like he was a kid throwing a tantrum.

Detective Lee shook his head. "My childhood wasn't like that. It wasn't interesting yet it wasn't normal either." He sighed.

"It wasn't normal? What do you mean?"

"Yes?"

"Why do you say so?" Detective Parker asked again.

"It's just...not normal."

"What is not normal about your childhood?"

Detective Lee took a deep breath and game a bitter smile. "It's something I don't want to talk about. I planned on never talking about it anymore." He honestly stated, making Kairo silent.

The room was filled with silent for a while again. When Cameron was about to start a topic again to get rid of the awkward silent, he felt his phone vibrating inside his pocket. He took it out and saw that a message was sent to him. The number became familiar to him upon receiving a lot of calls from the person who owns it. When he opened the message, his heart felt like it has been hit by a rock from a very high distance. It was Officer Chad's picture, sitting on his car with a caption saying— 'It's really fun watching your man drive your car. What would happen if I shot him with my gun right now?'