Chapter 39 : Shielding You 2

Detective Lee heard someone running from behind him. He furrowed his eyebrows when he saw the man in front of him smirking then he heard a gun shot. For some unknown reason, he felt his heart aching when he felt a pair of hands on his shoulder. He doesn't feel alert at all because it was a familiar touch, that's when he finally looked back and saw Officer Chad smiling at him but pain is visible in his face.

"Cai, you're not alert at all." He gave out a laugh.

"Devius." He uttered his name.

Before Officer Chad could even say another word, another gun shot was heard and Cameron saw everything as the bullet went directly at Devius' back. He heard the guy run away from behind but he couldn't pay any attention at all. He couldn't take his eyes off of his partner. Cameron felt his body froze when blood started oozing from Officer Chad's mouth. The pain showed on Devius' face. He just winced as he looked at Cameron.

Detective Lee heard the person who shot his partner run away but he couldn't take his eyes off of Devius as he blood continued coming out of his mouth. Officer Chad held tightly at his shoulder. Cameron felt frozen as he watched him. For the longest time in his life, he was scared. The fear made him unable. He couldn't move, he couldn't talk. He couldn't even take out his phone to call for help. He doesn't know what to do. He just felt his tears starting to get out of his eyes.

"D-Devius." He felt a lump on his throat as he mumbled the officer's name.

Officer Chad stared directly in his eyes. "Cai, I... I don't feel well now." Devius' smile slowly faded as he slowly fell to the floor.

Detective Lee quickly caught him to prevent him from hitting the concrete floor. "Devius, are you crazy? W-Why did you do that? W-What the hell were you thinking?" Cameron asked, trying his best to stop his tears from falling but clearly, he failed.

"I... I saw him and h-he's going to shoot you. I...I just can't let that h-happen." He answered, struggling to breathe.

"You're so naive, you should have used your gun instead of using your body to shield me, you idiot!" He scolded yet he felt like he could die from worrying.

"I-I panicked and all I...could think of is shielding you f-from the bullet." Devius smiled yet still wincing.

Cameron took out his phone and dialed 911. If it was a normal time, he could have carried Devius to his car but his knees are too weak. Seeing his partner in blood, it's a fear that isn't familiar to him but that fear has made him weak and unable. After reporting the emergency, he turned to his partner who was still half awake. He's been a detective for so many years and he already witnessed a lot of deaths, especially when they're hunting some criminals and they fight back. But seeing his partner wounded badly, his heart is racing and he can't stop worrying. He felt afraid of seeing someone die because of him.

"I-I feel sleepy, Cai." Officer Chad mumbled in his weak voice.

"Just hung in there, the help is coming." He held his hand tightly.

"I...really wanted to sleep."

"Don't you dare fall asleep, Devius." He tried sounding like he was scolding the officer but his voice sounded more worried.

"B-But it's so hard. I-I...wanted to sleep." Officer Chad muttered.

"You can't sleep, okay? Don't sleep." His voice became softer but he didn't get any response. When he glanced at him, Officer Chad's eyes are already closed. "Devius, don't sleep or I'm gonna kill you!" He scolded his partner as the hot liquid continue coming out of his eyes, he's crying. "Please don't sleep, Devius." He pleaded.

For the longest time he couldn't remember, he cried again. The fear on his heart kept growing as time passes. He can't afford to see anyone dying for him. When the ambulance finally came, they immediately did the first aid to stop the bleeding. After doing everything, they brought Officer Chad in the ambulance through the stretcher. Detective Lee didn't let go of his partner's hand while the ambulance was on the way to the hospital.

'You can't die, Chad. I still have to thank you for saving me.' He said while looking at his partner's unconscious body.

When they reached the hospital, Officer Chad was immediately brought to the operating room for the surgery. The operation lasted for hours and Detective Lee felt it was the longest time that he had spent waiting in his entire life. The anxiety and fear bothered him excessively. He kept pacing back and forth. When the surgery was finally over and the doctor in charge went out of the operating room, Cameron quickly approached him.

"Doctor Yance, how is he? Will he be fine?" He asked, full of concern.

The doctor smiled. "The surgery went well and your friend is safe now, Cameron. We'll move him to his room later and just wait for him to wake up." The doctor assured, Detective Lee felt a bit relieved but still worried.

"Thank you so much, Doctor Yance." He gave a sigh of relief.

The doctor smiled. "It's the first time I saw you this worried. He must be a really important friend to you." He said.

"He saved my life, I'm very thankful to him. Also, I'm thankful to you for saving him too." Cameron uttered.

After talking to the doctor, Detective Lee took out his phone. He was planning to call Chief Simon because he couldn't do it earlier. Aside from that, he was also going to call Officer Choi's sister to inform her about her brother. While looking for the number, he was stopped when he saw the blood on his hands. He didn't even notice that his clothes are stained with Devius' blood too. He just shrugged it off and was about to go to Officer Chad's contacts but sighed when he remembered he doesn't know the password. He returned the phone to his pocket and went to the restroom to wash the blood away.

"Mister..." A kid came to him when he cane out of the restroom.

"Are you talking to me, kid?" Cameron pointed to himself.

The kid nodded. "Yes. Are you Detective Cameron Caiseus Lee?"

"Yes, what is it?"

"Mm. A man asked me to give this to you in exchange of candies." The kid handed him a piece of paper.

"What is this?" Detective Lee asked, examining the paper.

The kid shook his head. "I don't know, sir. Someone gave me some candy and asked me to give that to a man named Detective Cameron Caiseus Lee and he pointed at you." The kid explained.

"Lee Jin Hong." He read the words but quickly stopped when he realized it's the same name he heard in his dreams and the name of the last victim.

"Is that name, mister? It sounded weird." The kid commented.

He looked down at the kid. "Who gave this to you?"

"I don't know his name but he's wearing a black coat and he has a weird smile. He also said it's someone important's name written in there and he told me that he would love to meet his brother again soon." The kid answered, sticking his lips out.

"Someone's name? Someone important? His brother?" Detective Lee asked in confusion.

"Mm. That's what he said. I have to go now, mister. My mother is waiting for me." The kid smiled and walk away, leaving Cameron in confusion.

Detective Lee run outside the hospital hoping that he could see who sent the kid but aside from other patients, their families and some hospital staffs, he didn't see anyone there. He just went back inside while looking at the paper. When Officer Chad was finally moved to his room, he stayed beside him. The doctor said that Devius might wake up after a day and he'll be totally fine after four to five days and can get out after. Detective Lee decided to tell Officer Chad's sister when he get back to his apartment since he couldn't open his partner's phone and he doesn't have Daena's number.

While at the hospital, he just kept staring at the paper with the name Lee Jin Hong written on it. He doesn't know what it means or who this Lee Jin Hong is. Aside from the last victim, he knows no one that named Lee Jin Hong. Although he dreamt about it, he still couldn't think of anyone who has that name.