Chapter 78 : Who Are You?

Detective Cameron Lee stared at the carving for a while before entering the building. With trembling hands, he opened the old wooden door slowly. With shaking knees, he took a step forward. Everything was eerie and creepy. It was pitch dark inside the orphanage that he couldn't even see his own hands when he placed it in front of his face.

'Shit! Cameron, you have to do it. Don't be a coward and think about the people who needs you! Damn it!' He scolded himself.

Detective Lee was about to reach for his phone to use it as a flashlight but he realized he doesn't have it. He probably left it in the car. He couldn't go back to get it because he knows that if he left the place again, he wouldn't be able to come back anymore. All he has in his mind now is to save the most important person in his life—Devius. Fortunately, he managed to have his gun on his waist. He held it tightly to his trembling hands and took a deep breath.

"Devius, wait for me, I'll save you no matter what." He mumbled as he started walking again.

The surroundings were silent and quiet. All he could hear were his footsteps and the wind gently blowing outside. He tightly clutched on the gun in his hands. He knows someone could attacked him anytime and he was ready about it. Every step he takes, he do it carefully. His eyes were fixed on the way in front of him even if he couldn't really see it.

He was careful on the stairs until he reached the second floor of the orphanag. Then he felt someone's eyes on him. Even if Cameron couldn't tell where the culprit is hiding, he knows that he isn't far away from where he was standing.

He silently observed the place around him. He has been in service for quite a long time, his observing skills and guts is already strong and sharp. Even though the place was dark and  he couldn’t see every corner, he knew he was standing in the middle of the hallway and the eyes he felt that was staring at him, were probably hidden in one of the rooms there.

"Red! I know you're in there. I came as you told me, why don't you come out now!? You called me a coward, aren't you being one?" He shouted while still being cautious.

On one of the room, a smirked curved on Red's lips. He watched as the detective point his gun in front of him. Officer Devius Chad and Ju Jin Su could also hear the man's voice even if it's just a faint sound as they were two floors above. Officer Chad wanted to call out for Detective Lee, tell him to be careful but he couldn't because his lips are covered with cloth again, that made him unable to mutter anything. As for Ju Jin Su, he was just standing by the door.

Back on the second floor, Red run towards the stairs. Cameron heard his footsteps and quickly went to follow him. Little did he know that Red was doing it on purpose because he has a plan inside his mind. He wanted Cameron to follow him upstairs.

"Why do you keep running away? Are you the one being scared now?" Cameron asked, panting but he never got a response. "Red! Why don't you answer me? Why don't you say a single fucking word!?" Detective Lee yelled again.

Red giggled and his voice echoed all over the place. Detective Lee looked around but he could hear the giggle surrounding him. It's because, against everyone's knowledge, Red set up a speaker in every corner of the orphanage while Ju Jin Su and Officer Chad were talking earlier. He attached a small microphone to him so that even if he spoke, Detective Lee or anyone else could not determine where he was.

"Detective, how was the place? Does it still scares you? Does the darkness remind you of something? Or do you want me to start a fire so you could remember?" Red asked while giggling and an insane smile drawn on his face.

Detective Lee looked around again, trying to figured out where Red was located. "Why don't you show yourself, huh? Why do you keep hiding?" He asked.

"Why? Are you sure you're ready to see me...again? How sure are you that you can handle to see me again after so many years?" That question made Detective Lee furrowed his brows.

"What do you mean again? Did we met before? Do you know me? Who are you?" He loudly questioned.

Then Red's playful laugher was heard again. "Oh. We didn't just met once, Detective. We've met a lot of times even before you knew it, I've already been a part of your life but you chose to forget it." He stated in a long litany.

Detective Lee grew even more confused. He find Red's voice familiar from the very beginning but he couldn't figure out who he was. Now, hearing from him that they've met before, only confirmed his assumptions. He must have spoken to Red before but he just couldn't remember that's why he finds his voice familiar.

On the other hand, Devius and Ju Jin Su were in the room upstairs, not so far away so they can hear every conversation. They could hear everything because the speaker was quite loud. The astonishment and confusion on Officer Chad's face was obvious after hearing the litany coming from Red while Ju Jin Su could only be heard sighing.

When Detective Lee went silent for quite a while, Red spoke again while still giggling. "What? Did the cat took your tongue? Or are you scared to find out who I am?"

"Who really are you? Why don't you just show yourself to me? What do you want?" Detective Lee asked consecutively.

Red's face became serious. "Who am I? Why don't I show myself? What do I want? Do you really...want me to answer those questions, Detective? Can you handle it?" His voice sounded more serious now and for some reason, it scared Officer Chad while Detective Lee remained confused.

"Yes, I wanted to hear your answers from my questions. I wanted to know why you are doing this. I wanted to know what you wanted from me that you went this far. Killing people to get my attention. I wanted to know everything behind the person named Red." Detective Lee said.

"Then, I'll tell you. Just make sure that you can listen because you won't be able to take it once you found out who the person behind the name Red is." He uttered as he leaned his back on the wall, still looking at Detective Lee's direction. "Who I am? I am someone you know but you refused to identify. I am someone whom you took everything from yet you never recognized. Why don't I show myself? I did it many times. I approached you. I talked to you and I even hugged you but just won't recognize me. Funny, right? What do I want?" Red stopped and went silent for a while before he continued talking again. "I wanted what's been stolen from me. I wanted my life back. I wanted that name back. I wanted that identity back. I wanted to take back what is mine and my brother's from the very place." Anger was visible to his voice as he muttered those words.

Detective Lee felt confused. "I don't understand. What does those things has to do with me?" He asked but then, Red laughed like a lunatic again.

"Detective... Detective... Detective..." He said as he smile evilly. "I thought you're a smart man but it turned out, you're an idiot."

"Why don't you just tell me?" Detective Lee felt like he was looking for a needle in a stock of hay because of Red's words. "Who are you?"

"Do you really wanna know who I am, Detective?" Red asked back.

Detective Lee looked around. "Yes, I wanted to know who you are."

"I am..." He purposely cut his sentence before adding, "...Lee Yuhyeol, brother of Lee Han Se."

"What? Who are you?" He asked again, thinking that he misheard it.

"My name... is Lee...Yu...Hyeol and my brother is Lee...Han...Se." A smirked was carved on Red's face as he slowly stated the name.

After hearing him say it again, Detective Lee felt very confused. The confusion, curiosity and everything came tumbling to him that he could feel his head hurting. The name Lee Yuhyeol and Lee Han Se felt so familiar to him. If he heard it right, Red said he was his brother yet he never had one. Moments later, Cameron heard some footsteps running to the higher floors, he has no choice but to follow him there too. Even if his heart was pounding really hard, he can't think of himself right now. All he wanted to do was save everyone and protect Devius at all costs.