Chapter 11 : A Painful Memory

It's already midnight but Cameron is still wide awake. He wanted to sleep but his eyes won't cooperate. The image of Gong Seuk Tae with fear in his eyes kept playing inside his head. It was as if he saw himself again after very long time. When he stared at the kid, it felt like he's staring at himself.

Many, many years ago. He was vulnerable, hopeless, helpless. When he was a kid, he was already waiting for death to come and get him. He had already given up on life. The fear, the feeling of wanting to be protected by someone but he's all alone. The feeling of wanting to run away but every step is a dead end. The feeling of wanting to shout but his voice was stolen. The feeling of wanting to cry but his tears are dry.

When he finally got out of that cage where he was kept in, Cameron almost didn't know what hope is. He doesn't know what life is. Even when Harold Lee took him in, he doesn't know if he could trust the man because no one has been trustworthy around him ever since he learned how to walk.

Those feelings, it's as if they came back again after seeing Seuk Tae in that situation. There's something that the kid make him feel. After thirty years of living his life, he never felt safe and at ease. Even if he's tough outside, he carried the fear as he grew up. Seeing the poor kid, Gong Seuk Tae, being in the same situation as he was before, he wanted to protect him. He wanted him to feel that he's safe and no one's gonna hurt him. Cameron wanted Seuk Tae to feel the safety he never got.

"I'm going to catch that culprit no matter what. I won't let him hurt Seuk Tae and anyone." He sat up and whispered himself.

Devius is still awake too and couldn't sleep. He sat up and lean on the wall facing Cameron. The light was off so it was dark but he could see Cameron sitting and he could hear him sigh. This is his best ability. He trained so hard so he could clearly see in the dark, like he has some kind of night vision. He stared at him for a while. He looked younger than his age and he could pass as a high school student for someone who doesn't know him. But what got him the most was the emotion in his eyes. It feels like a painful memory was playing repeatedly in his mind. He wanted to tease him but he just couldn't.

Inside him, he felt pitiful towards the man but also admires him. He doesn't have the good first neither second impression towards Cameron but there's something in him that will make anyone admire him even without trying. For the passed few days of Devius working with Detective Lee, he noticed how hardworking he is in this case.

"Hey, senior, you can't sleep too?" He asked, Cameron turned to his direction.

"Yeah, I'm trying to think of some way to catch the killer." He answered.

Officer Chad stood up and turned the lights on. "Do you think it's the same person who killed those people?" He walked towards Detective Lee and sat on his bed.

"Yes. According to Parker and the way the victims died. It must be the same culprit." He answered.

"But, what if he wasn't working alone?"

"Possible but if he has some accomplice, he wouldn't include him in the killings."

"You're right, senior. But, this killer is really weird, right?"

Cameron stayed silent for a while before nodding. "All the signs are the same. The victims received some sort of call before they were killed. Although I can't figure out the connection of the victims to each other, it's obvious that the culprit is the same person who ended their lives." He said in long litany.

"Then, what could be his motive?" Devius asked again.

Detective Lee shook his head. "I have no idea yet but sometimes, murderers kill for no reason but they just want to end somebody's life."