Chapter 41 : Piece of Memory

Devius leaned on his bed while looking around the room. He really hates being a patient because that means he has to eat the flavorless food at the hospital. He's the kind of person who's into salt and flavor, so being in the hospital and being a patient isn't a good situation for him. But thinking that he was there for saving his senior, he could endure it. Officer Chad is just glad that nothing bad happened to his partner.

On the other hand, Officer Chad's sister, Daena, came running towards Cameron the moment she went out of the car.

"Detective, where's my brother? I heard what happened, how is he? Is he alright?" Daena asked in a very worried voice.

"You don't have to worry anymore, he just woke up. He's fine." He gave her a little reassuring smile.

Daena's expression became less worried upon hearing Cameron's news. "I'm glad he's safe, I don't know what will I do if I lost my brother." She whispered.

Cameron felt a hint of guilt again after seeing how worried Officer Chad's sister is. He'll never want to be the cause of anyone losing their lives, especially Devius. He doesn't want to cause anyone's grievance.

"He's in his room, just go and accompany him for a while. I'm going to buy some foods." He patted the girl's shoulder and begun walking away.

Daena took a deep breath and looked at the detective's back. She smiled and headed to her brother's room. For some reason, she like Detective Lee even if she just met him once when Miranda Jameswood was killed. She felt like her brother is safe when he's around despite what happened. She likes him not in a romantic way but in a brotherly manner. She felt comfortable towards him and she likes his presence.

On the other hand, Detective Lee went to the nearby korean restaurant. He took some gimbap, omelette and korean fried chicken. He also bought some water and coffee. After seeing that everything is settled and completed, he took a deep breath and was about to head back to the hospital when he saw a familiar figure. He blinked twice to ensure that he wasn't hallucinating because of his nightmare but the figure was still there.

Not far from his direction, a man in a black coat was standing behind a tree. He may not see his face but he could feel that he was staring right at him. He clenched his fist as he stares at that mysterious guy. He then recall the time when they went to the forest, he saw him there before. Not just in the forest, he also once saw that guy in their headquarter's parking lot but he just disappeared.

"Am I hallucinating?" He asked in confusion as he blink. "No, I'm not." He whispered to himself when he still saw the guy at his place.

Then he felt his phone vibrating. It took him a moment before he was able to take his eyes off of that person and took out his phone. When he saw the number flashed on it, he quickly guessed who was it. He took a deep breath and pressed the answer button as he placed it to his ear, staring at the guy from a far.

"Red..."

He heard a chuckle on other side. "Detective, what took you so long to answer my call?" Red asked.

"Why did you call me?" Detective Lee asked back instead of answering his question.

"I heard about what happened to your friend, is he alright? He didn't die, did he?" Red questioned teasingly.

Detective Lee wrinkled his forehead. He told no one except Officer Chad's sister, Daena and their superior, Chief Simon about what happened.

"Don't be surprised that I found out, Detective Lee because I was there when he was shot." Those words made Detective Lee confused and off guard at the same time.

He thought he heard him wrong. "What did you say?" He asked.

A soft laugher was heard. "I said, I was in the parking lot last night when your friend was shot. I saw everything and I saw you cry in fear of losing him." He repeated, now a lot clearer.

"Who really are you?" Cameron could feel his heart pounding hard with confusion and annoyance as he spoke.

Red laughed again but now, it's louder. "You kept asking me that question yet you've known me for so long, Detective Lee." He responded with his robotic deep voice that he's been using since the day he called Cameron.

"How could I know you when you're the one who texted me those riddles first? How could I have known you if you haven't showed me your face yet?" Detective Lee asked in a serious tone.

He's been suspicious towards this mysterious caller but now, he's getting more and more suspicious about Red. He thinks that something is really wrong about him. About how he got his number and the thing he just found out about the club. Also, he was the one who informed the authority about the death of James Lee. If he wasn't related to the culprit, there's a great possibility that he is the killer caller himself.

'Red, who are you really?'

Detective Lee clutched his fist and look back to the tree earlier and surprisingly, the man in a black coat was still there. But that's not what surprised Cameron, it's when he saw the mysterious guy with his hand held up to his ear. He was holding a phone!

Detective Lee felt his heart pounding as he stares at the man. He watched as he slowly lifted his other hand and waved at him. He heard something clicked on the phone but now, he couldn't take his eyes off of that person.

"You..." He felt like his throat became dry.

Then he heard another chuckle from the other line. "Seems like you will finally had the chance to meet me, Detective Lee." Red said, not in a deep robotic voice but now in his normal voice.

"Y-You... You're that man." His voice trembled.

Detective Lee felt terrified as he could recognized that voice. He shuddered as he heard the voice in his nightmare in it's form in reality. Red's voice, it's the same voice he kept hearing in his dreams.  He dropped the food that he was holding as he felt his head hurting and then followed by dizziness. He held his head as he step back until he reached a wall. His head felt like it's gonna explode from pain. His vision was slowly getting blurry.

(Lee Jin Hong...)

(Lee Jin Hong...)

(Lee Jin Hong...)

It feels like a nightmare again. He could hear that name being called repeatedly. He swallowed hard as he felt his hands slowly begun to tremble in fear, curiosity and confusion. It took quite some time to clear his throat and fixed his composure.

"W-Who the hell are you, really?" He struggled to asked.

"Do you really wanted to know who I am, Detective?" Red asked in a challenging voice.

Cameron swallowed hard because he could feel a lump growing in his throat again. "Just tell me who the fuck are you! What do you want from me? Why don't you just tell me and stop bothering me?"

"Fine, I'll give you a hint. I am the missing piece in the puzzle of your memory. You can never complete it without me. You know me yet you chose to forget me. Don't worry, your memory will always find a way to recall my part in it because I am the one who completes it." Red responded but Detective Lee couldn't understand anything.

His head was throbbing with pain and he can't even stand straight. His dizziness is getting worst but he's trying his best not to take his eyes off of that man in a black coat. He saw him slowly walking to his direction. Cameron fell on the ground from dizziness, with his phone still on his hand. He was still conscious so he saw the man standing not so far from him but he was too dizzy that he couldn't see his face.

'Damn it!'

Detective Lee tried his best but everything was too blurry and all he could hear was nothing but chatters because even the sounds around him were no longer clear. Cameron could only hear his heart pounding inside his chest. His head was hurting so bad and he felt his body getting weaker. He doesn't know what is causing everything. Something flashes in his eyes but what it a memory? Or was he hallucinating? Cameron saw the pair of black shoes step forward to his direction but was not able to hear the last words that caller said yet he heard a few words before he finally passed out.

"Lee Jin Hong, you should start remembering that name, detective. Because that name and I were the piece of memory you tried to get rid of."