Chapter 202 - Grimmar Soul Staff!

Nie Yan appraised the red pearl between his fingers. It was precisely what he had been searching for all along, a Kiln Fire Heart!

The legendary Elementalist, Countess Alicia, created ten Kiln Fire Hearts out of the lava from the world's core. A Kiln Fire Heart wasn't an inherently magical item, but it did provide some useful effects such as enhancing the player's Fire Resistance. It was a rare, special item.

In the distant past, Countess Alicia utilized the Kiln Fire Hearts as catalysts to summon a powerful Lava Titan to kill several tens of thousands of invaders from the Underworld, writing down an eternal legend in Kiln Fire Woods. However, since the Lava Titan was nigh impossible to control, she herself ended up being devoured as well, buried deep beneath the earth where the lava flowed.

Kiln Fire Heart (Special Item)

Properties: Fire Resistance +50, Fire Magic +20% Kiln Fire: Invoke the power of the Kiln Fire Heart to become immune to all fire damage and even the most extreme heat for 30 seconds. Cooldown: 20 minutes

Restriction: Righteous Faction

The Kiln Fire Heart was an accessory, and so it had to be equipped in an accessory slot to take effect. Although it was best on Elementalists and Arcane Mages, it was also a useful treasure that was hard to come by for Nie Yan. Whether in PvE or PvP, becoming immune to fire damage would give him a huge advantage. Almost a third of all Elementalist spells were Fire Magic, and many relied on Fire Magic as their primary source of damage. If Nie Yan activated Kiln Fire while battling an Elementalist, a third of the opponent's spells would instantly become useless. Such an advantage grew even more pronounced against Arcane Mages. More than half of all spells at an Arcane Mage's disposal dealt fire damage. He would essentially be cutting down the opponent's offensive power by over fifty percent.

The boost in Fire Resistance was also considerable. It signified that Nie Yan could travel to any map below Level 50 that had requirements for Fire Resistance, and he would gain an advantage when hunting fire-type monsters.

The Fire Magic Amplification property, however, was pretty much useless to Nie Yan. He was a Thief, not a Mage.

Nie Yan examined the skill book.

Skill Book: Cut Throat

Requirements: Level 35

Description: Slash open the throat of a target from behind with an increased chance of a critical hit. Chance of dealing a fatal blow if the target is lower levelled than the user. Only effective against humanoid creatures.

Properties; Deal 130% damage. 20% chance of dealing 200% critical damage. 10% chance of dealing 300% critical damage.

Cooldown: 30 seconds

Restriction: Thief; can be learned by any faction.

Cut Throat was a rare, advanced skill with high damage multipliers.

Nie Yan still wasn't at a high enough level to learn Cut Throat. He stored away the skill book in his bag, then equipped the Kiln Fire Heart, whereupon his Fire Resistance increased by a large margin. He no longer needed to be afraid of taking heat damage. He continued travelling deeper down. Two to three minutes later, he arrived beside a sweltering pool of lava.

A scalding heat rose up from the pool which covered about 30x30 meters. As Nie Yan looked toward the center, he saw a woman floating motionlessly in the lava. She wore a fiery red robe. Clasped in her hand was a staff with a fist-sized, flame-red ruby embedded at the top. It was the famed, sealed Grimmar Soul Staff. Her face was above the surface of the lava. She had smooth, delicate feature with skin as white as jade. She was so beautiful it was almost stifling.