Chapter 390 - Defeating the Wraith of the Ancient Castle

This room in the basement was oddly shaped like an oval. A table sat in the center littered with all kinds of gold oddities and bobbles. Tucked away in a corner were many earthen pots and jars, having collected a couple decades' worth of cobwebs and dust. Some of them were broken with black powder leaking out.

Nie Yan detected the unmistakable scent of gunpowder as he breathed in through his nose.

Nie Yan recalled an incident in his past life where a medium-sized guild called Moon Wolf had discovered valuable treasures and crafting materials in this ancient castle. But before they could dispatch people to transport the goods away, Victorious Return ambushed them and snatched everything away for themselves.

It seemed there was some basis to that rumour.

On top of an adjacent table were piles of mysterious scrolls. However, Nie Yan couldn't be bothered to spare them a glance. His attention was wholly focused on Abak's Bloody Dagger. It was rumoured that due to the countless lives Tyrant Abak reaped with this dagger, a powerful curse was placed on it which prevented ordinary people from approaching.

The dagger was mounted to the wall. A bloody aura slowly leaked out of it, emanating an ominous presence.

The Tyrant Abak Set was Nie Yan's ultimate goal. With this set, he would need nothing else. He would have to keep progressing through the questline, finding one clue after another, completing the set one piece at a time. This endeavor would probably take at least three years to complete.

Since he had discovered Abak's Bloody Dagger, he absolutely had to have it!

At this moment, Patience floated down the stairs and charged after him.

"You wretched human and your holy light!" Patience's appearance was frightening as she stabbed at him with her claw-like hands.

Nie Yan knitted his brows. It appeared Patience had some rudimentary intelligence. These kinds of monsters were the toughest to deal with. They didn't fight blindly. If they couldn't beat you, they'd call for back-up. If they saw your health drop low, they'd pursue you relentlessly to the end of the world. And if you dropped their health below a certain threshold, they'd try to flee.

Nie Yan glanced at Patience. She still had over 110,000 health.

Defeating her would be no easy task.

Since Nie Yan couldn't beat her by himself, there was only one option left. Call for help!

Nie Yan took out a pouch of Flash Powder from his bag and chucked it at Patience.「Poof!」A dazzling radiance engulfed the surroundings.

Patience let out a miserable shriek. She was blinded by the intense brilliance.

Nie Yan quickly ducked into a corner. He activated Deterrence, then opened up the skill window for Divine Recruitment. After a quick glance at the list, he made up his mind and summoned the Rank 7 Paladin Keo who had 200% of his stats and an hourly fee of 1,000 gold.

For the sake of obtaining Abak's Bloody Dagger, Nie Yan went for broke.

Keo materialized beside Nie Yan, wielding a sword and shield.

"Sir Devil Slayer, it is an honour to serve you. May the holy light forever be with you." Keo stared at Patience up ahead and shouted in a righteous tone, "For the sake of spreading the faith of Light, by God's will, I will exterminate all evil creatures! This is the duty of a Paladin!"

All Paladins summoned by Divine Recruitment were pious followers of the Light. They also had a rudimentary level of intelligence.

When Patience regained her vision, she resumed her pursuit of Nie Yan but halted in her tracks after reaching within six meters of him. This was the effect of his improved Deterrence! The emergence of Paladin Keo also filled her with a sense of dread.