Chapter 349 - Soul Pendant

Nie Yan relied on his experience to navigate the village. He quickly found the general store and stepped inside.

He was greeted by an old goblin shopkeeper in a black gown, who stood about half as tall as the average person. His skin was green and wrinkly. His back was so badly hunched even taking a single step was physically taxing.

Nie Yan was surprised this old goblin's faction alignment was neutral.

Neutral NPCs also appeared in many high-level towns in the Viridian Empire. They sold a variety of goods and even gave out quests every once in a blue moon. And when war broke out between both factions, they would stand on the sidelines.

Goblin Garnes (Elite): Level 60

The old goblin glanced at Nie Yan, a fathomless light flashing in his eyes.

Nie Yan felt like his every secret was completely exposed. He clutched the Unknown Transfer Scroll in his pocket. This old goblin wasn't simple. He felt a slight tremble from Bennett's Journal in his bag, whereupon a gray ball of light rose up from the pages and hovered beside him.

"Dear Customer, how may I help you?" asked Goblin Garnes.

A shop window appeared in front of Nie Yan's eyes and displayed a variety of goods which included potions, spring water, and bread. He stuffed one of his bags to the brim with consumables, then turned his attention to an item that caught his eye from the start, a blue potion with a strange open-mouthed bottle design. The liquid inside was turbid with chunks of mystery matter floating above its surface.

Nie Yan inspected the potion.

Soul Potion: Unknown Effect

Price: 600 gold

Noticing Nie Yan's eyes on the potion, Goblin Garnes said, "This is a Soul Potion. Rumours say it allows you to peer into the deepest memories of a deceased soul. It's sold in many potion shops."

Nie Yan met eyes with Goblin Garnes whose gaze seemed to pierce his soul.

Nie Yan pondered for a moment before buying a Soul Potion. It was worth the price if it could help him progress in Empress Finas' quest.

"Objects with souls contain powerful magical power. Necromancers often use them to create sinister magical tools. Youngster, make sure no Necromancer catches sight of that journal of yours," Goblin Garnes advised.

"Thank you, wise sir," Nie Yan said respectfully. He reached out and held the ball of light in his palm.

Nie Yan bid Goblin Garnes farewell. He browsed around the other shops in Valitin to see if there were any special items for sale. The goods sold here couldn't be found on the surface, after all.

Nie Yan found a few other items that caught his eye after browsing through six shops and numerous player-owned stalls.

Soul Pendant (3)

Requirements: 300 Strength

Properties: Adds 50 extra slots of inventory space (consumables only), Night Vision +2, Dark Awareness +3.

Nie Yan bought the Soul Pendant from a Level 45 player. It appeared such trinkets were widespread in the Underworld and could be crafted by Dark Shamans. Since players frequently lost their way in the Underworld, often going days without finding a town to resupply at, the need for inventory space was a lot greater than on the surface. This led to players from the Evil Faction having larger bags and an additional pendant that further increased inventory space.

This Soul Pendant was quite useful. It would free up a lot of inventory space for equipment.

When Nie Yan stepped into a scroll shop, he found Junior Death Wave Scrolls for sale at 2 gold a piece. They required 100 Intelligence to use and dealt 1,000 damage to all living creatures in a 20 meter radius. Naturally, they were ineffective against machine and dark-type creatures.