Chapter 241 - Buried History

Nie Yan flipped to the fourth page of the book, wondering what sort of materials were used to create such durable pages. The page densely packed with ancient characters from the Era of Shared Governance was detailed to a rarely seen degree. It contained techniques which allowed a player to advance to a Great Thief and Shadow Dancer, practice exercises to hone those techniques, methods to sharpen the player's awareness as a Thief, and so on. A person in possession of this information could increase their combat strength at least several fold. Many things on this page couldn't be found in the videos of his past life. There were even some techniques that he had never seen Sun or Shadow Killer employ.

This was the most comprehensive guide on how to become a Great Thief and Shadow Dancer!

With this guide, there was no longer a need for a player to go about blindly figuring out things for themselves. There were over a hundred techniques altogether, including those Nie Yan was familiar with like the beginner, middle, and advanced footwork of Shadow Dance and Dance of Death. Just mastering two or three of them would allow him to roam around unimpeded, while mastering five or six would allow him to look down on the world from high atop the peak.

Nie Yan had no intention of learning all of these techniques. Just having five or six of them handy was enough. Besides, some of the things described in this guide were simply too difficult for the current him to pull off.

The fifth page contained long forgotten secrets such as the whereabouts of Sage Grant's equipment set or the origins of the Somodo Greatsword. There were also mentions of the Water of Life and Sacred Potions.

There was information on every mythical item that had ever appeared in the history of the Atlanta continent.

After skimming through, Nie Yan flipped to the next page.

On the sixth page was a mystical star design with an enchanting glow. As soon as Nie Yan set his eyes on the page, the star flashed with a dazzling radiance, and a projection of the star appeared in his mind. A flood of information related to past eras surged into his head, catching him off-guard.

He could only passively accept all of this knowledge. It took quite some time before he had finally absorbed all of it.

You have received All Knowing.

You have received the 'Grand Scholar' title.

A skill and a title...? Nie Yan quickly looked at his skill window, and noticed that a new passive skill was added-All Knowing. As he read through the description, he discovered that this passive came with a host of benefits. The first was a 200% boost to his Intelligence; it was unfortunate that he was a Thief and not a Mage, so this was not all that useful to him. The second benefit was that he directly learned the languages of the elves, beastmen, and any other race that belonged to the Righteous Faction of Order. Finally, it granted him the supplementary ability to divine the future of the game world once every ten days, such as major changes in an empire or historical events yet to occur. As for the Grand Scholar title, it raised his Influence in all nations by 50, allowed him the use of any transfer point free of charge, and he would enjoy the protection of any guard within a 50-meter radius while in a town or city. He was also given the privilege of riding a mount inside a city, and he even held the authority to order the guards to punish any character below the rank of viscount!

Any NPC or player with the rank of baron or lower would have to maintain a deferential attitude in front of Nie Yan. If such a person insulted his honour, depending on the severity of the offense and how much Influence the offender held, they could be jailed for anywhere between one to five days! This punishment was especially severe for a player. During this time, they wouldn't be able to level at all! All they could do was helplessly pass the time in a jail cell!