Chapter 247 - Planning

Nie Yan answered question after question without breaking a sweat. By the time they were 30 minutes into the exam, he was roughly half-finished. He glimpsed around him and noticed the majority of others had burrowed their heads into their papers in frantic thought. Looking back at his own screen, he guessed he would score just over 700 marks, which should be enough for what he wanted. If he would score significantly higher, he would be thought of as a monster. So, he put in glaring mistakes in the latter half of the exam.

Two hours flew by, marking the end of the examination. The grades were publicly listed on the main screen in front: Xie Yao took first place with a grand total of 763 points, with Nie Yan taking a close second at 731 points. Third seemed to be roughly 590 points, while the greater part of the remaining grades were occupied by the 300s and 400s, quite unbearable to look at compared to the top scorers.

Truth be told, even those marks were nothing to look down on. In fact, incorrect answers did not represent inability; rather, the system evaluated the incorrect solutions and nonetheless gave partial marks. It judged fairly, since each person did have their own strong and weak subjects.

Zhai Hao looked at the list of grades, then looked at Nie Yan sitting a bit farther away. "Damn, what a monster!" he exclaimed, unable to keep the gloom away from his tone. Nie Yan was already so skilled in martial arts, and now his studies were on another level as well! He would likely have no problems being recruited by the Top Military Academy.

Xie Yao glanced at Nie Yan with slightly widened eyes. I didn't think his academics were this good as well!

Behind the podium, Yang Boyi smiled, pleased with Nie Yan's results. In his office a bit earlier, he was quite amazed to hear that the new student had defeated Liu Rui. He was also informed that Nie Yan had transferred over from Ningjiang, supposedly squeezed in for a small fee. Quite frankly, he expected Nie Yan to be lacking in all departments, but to his surprise, it was the complete opposite. Without a doubt, it would be worth it to foster his talents. So long as his academics were sufficient, he would have no difficulty entering the Top Military Academy. And now, he was amazed once again. His academics were beyond sufficient-they even matched Xie Yao's, the top student in the class! He estimated that Liu Rui, on a good day, could probably graze the 600 marks, and even that was pushing it.

"I didn't expect for your academics to be this good!" Xie Yao exclaimed as she looked at her new desk-mate.

"It was decent." Nie Yan kept about a modest tone. He felt a tinge of guilt, knowing very well that he scored so highly not because of hard work, but rather his rebirth.

In the eyes of his classmates, Nie Yan did indeed appear humble and collected-an entire world of difference from Liu Rui, who would have been itching to let everyone know the tiniest of accomplishments.

Xie Yao recalled Nirvana Flame, who was similarly collected no matter what he came across. Only when his guild was provoked would he become firm and haughty. As she further recalled such memories, the thread differentiating the two in her mind became all the more thin.

Xie Yao's thoughts were thrown into shambles. Are they the same person?

Yang Boyi held Nie Yan in an increasingly high regard. From what he had seen of Nie Yan, he was much calmer than Liu Rui, whose arrogant attitude was undesirable.

I really lucked out this time, Yang Boyi thought. The end of the year bonus is pretty much mine already! It was truly a brilliant decision to accept Nie Yan back then.

"All right, we'll end it here today. You're free to go. Tomorrow we'll begin full lessons. First class will be kickboxing, so don't forget to prepare!" Yang Boyi said, as he explained a good deal of their class work.