Chapter 298 - Gale Ambush

Nie Yan was simply testing the waters a moment ago, which was why he only used his most basic skills. In fact, he could have bursted Faded down to zero health during the invincibility period of Gale Step. However, that would've left him open to the retaliation from the surrounding Mages. Even he didn't dare to take a bombardment from them head-on, so he opted for a strategic retreat.

Nie Yan had a cautious nature. Whenever he encountered an expert, he would first gain a feel for their skill. He would then attempt to bait out as many of their trump cards as possible to minimize the possibility of them surprising him when he fought them for real.

A Thief who was quick to reveal their cards probably wasn't an expert. Advanced Skills easily had cooldown timers of up to a week or longer. If a player wasted one, they would be without it for the next several days. If they encountered a truly life-threatening situation during this period, what awaited them would most likely be an extremely tragic end.

Every powerful skill was pivotal and not to be used lightly. Save trump cards for extraordinary circumstances: this was one of the lessons Nie Yan had learned from his 10 years in Conviction.

After his first exchange with this group of players, Nie Yan could tell that none of them were amateurs from how quickly they came to Faded's rescue. Each of them was a seasoned expert in PvP!

Even though Nie Yan was ahead of these players by years in terms of game experience, he didn't dare to underestimate them. He would have no problem fighting such players one on one, but there were 13 of them!

With how the skills of the various members mixed and matched with each other, the combat strength they could display wasn't simple addition!

Nie Yan received a message from Tyrannical at this moment. He had gotten away from the players pursuing him. He was currently on standby in the area, searching for another opportunity to attack.

Just as Nie Yan was preparing to launch another ambush, he felt a cold chill at the back of his neck.

A Thief!

Nie Yan's high Awareness allowed him to instantly lock onto the opponent's position. While the pommel of a dagger was smashing towards the back of his head, his figure blurred into motion like a ghostly shadow. He raised his dagger and parried the opponent's attack.

Nie Yan never expected to be seen through stealth. He quickly followed up by striking towards the Thief's forehead with a Concussive Blow.

When the Thief was knocked out of stealth, Nie Yan was shocked to see their appearance. No wonder they discovered him!

The Thief's pupils were rhombus-shaped and emitted a dark blue glow, resembling a dazzling gemstone. This was Sapphire Gaze, a special skill that allowed the player to see through stealth!

Just how long has he been watching me? His teammates are probably arriving soon! Nie Yan never expected to encounter such a mishap. Even the most experienced expert could still make mistakes!

The Thief panicked and raised his dagger in an attempt to parry Nie Yan's attack.

At this time, four figures appeared on top of a slope. They were Faded, Maple Blazeheart, and the others!

Nie Yan took advantage of this opportunity to retreat. He activated Disappear and vanished from sight.

The Thief used Sapphire Gaze to scan for traces of Nie Yan, but he was nowhere to be found!

Disappear couldn't be seen through in the initial seconds after activation!

I can't see him anymore!」the Thief informed through voice chat. Even Sapphire Gaze couldn't locate Nie Yan! Just what kind of skill did the Mad Rogue use?