Nightmare x Owl Reader

Requested by KilluaGamer99

Ah yes, the prequel to the Horror x Owl Reader.

I really rose from the dead to talk about goop husband and his birb, didn't I?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animals.

They don't care how you look. They don't care about your past or anything in-between.

Animals see you for you.

Nightmare couldn't have been happier for that.

You were such a beautiful creature. Your silky, practically shimmering, feathers and golden, round eyes that always shined.

Nightmare wanted nothing more than to earn your trust.

He tried and tried, offering you food. Trying to convince you to travel to one of the lower branches of the tree.

Even practically sweet talking you, which, to this day he's not the most proud of.

He went to that tree every day for nearly two months around dusk, right when you arrived.

Unfortunately, all his attempts were futile. You'd get close and end up fleeing.

...was it him?

He knew the citizens hated him. But the animals too?

...

One more day. He'd give it one last try. Not that it would do anything.

As he walked up the hill, he kept his eyelights on the sky, watching for you to glide down and land on your favorite branch.

But you didn't. Maybe you were early tonight?

Once he reached the trunk, he noticed a few droplets of red liquid.

Wait, shoot! That's blood!

He looked on the other side of the tree. And there, cowering at the base of it, was you.

Your right wing was limp and your pristine feathers were tainted red from your wound.

When you noticed him, you frantically tried to flap your wings, moving a few inches before the weight of your injured wing pulled you down.

He could see the fear and pain in your eyes. They were usually so calm, he hated seeing you like this.

He took another step towards you, you didn't try to escape, but you did start squawking frantically.

From the look of your wing, you'd been attacked by something, another animal if he had to guess.

"Hey, hey, shh. I won't hurt you. Ok," he said as he knelt down to get a better look at your wing.

He put a hand over the injured area, letting a soft green glow of magic shine on it.

"I'm not the best at healing. All I can do is stop the bleeding."

It was very obvious your wing was broken. You could hardly move it and he could tell that trying to, hurt badly.

He knew he needed to get you somewhere safe before whatever did the damage the first time, came back.

He scooped you up, surprised you didn't try to peck him or hardly struggle at that.

With that, the two of you disappeared from his spot on the grass and arrived in his room.

He placed you on his bed, having faith that you wouldn't fall off of the edge, as he went to grab some items to make a makeshift splint.

Which was...slightly successful? It wasn't professionally done, obviously, but it was enough to do the job.

"That feel any better?"

"Hoo!"

He chuckled at your response, it sounded so much like you were actually talking back to him.

"Is that a yes or a no?"

You nodded, well, in the best way an owl can.

He went wide eyed.

Holy heck, you were trying to talk to him.

"...what kind of owl are you?"

You gave him the bird equivalent of a shrug.

"Ok...um...well, do you have a name?"

You shook your head, your breed was...territorial to say the least. You weren't around your own kind very much. No need for a name.

"Is...is, Y/n, an ok name?"

You thought on it for a moment and let out a 'hoo' of approval. He smiled at you and stood up from his kneeling position.

"Well, nice to finally meet you, Y/n. I'm Nightmare."

It was from that point on that you became all the companionship he could ever need.

You listened. No one had ever given him somewhere to vent, to let it out. Even if you couldn't respond with words of comfort, he knew you were thinking them.

You didn't even have to speak for him to know you cared. He just...knew.

The two of you were always together.

While your wing was healing, he'd let you perch on his shoulder (which ended in some of his shirts being slightly torn but he easily forgave that).

As it healed though, he was often worried that once you had your freedom to fly back, that you'd leave, go back to your life in the wild.

Nope!

You gladly soared around above or around him and resting in the tree whenever he ventured out to it.

...but unfortunately, sometimes you weren't always a companion.

You were a guardian.

Anytime anyone tried to harass or even yell at him, you swooped down at them, talons barred with your feathers puffed to make you look like more of a threat.

A few citizens actually saw you as a pest for this, but did you or Nightmare care? Of course not.

Life with you was great. Amazing, even.

And here we are, years later.

You're now perched upon the shoulder of the King of Nightmares.

Still being the best friend he could ever have.