Rurik (Fell Pallette) x Short! Ballet Reader

Requested by Meh_name_is_amelia

"...one more time."

You stood back up and continued to practice your dance for your recital, which was approaching sooner than you liked.

You had the moves down, there was just one that always made you lose your footing, and falling on stage was the last thing you needed.

It wasn't like it was your first time dancing on stage, you'd been doing that since you were little, all the dance classes you were taking mostly. You still wanted to be perfect out there though.

You were too lost in making sure you did your move right to hear someone walk into the studio you were practicing in.

"Hey shorty, I brought ya some coffee," the unexpected voice surprised you, making you lose focus and fall. You shot an annoyed glare at the intruder.

He acted like he wanted to be sorry but couldn't help the laugh that escaped him despite his best efforts.

"Ha ha, sorry. Didn't mean to scare ya," he laughed helping you up and handing you your cup from the cafe.

"Whatever you say Rurik, thanks though," you thanked, taking a sip. You then set it down and went to rewind the music that you'd left playing.

"How's practice goin'," he asked sitting down on a bench near your dance area. "It's...going, where, I don't know," you said, looking down at your ankle which was pretty sore at this point.

"Maybe ya should just take a break," he recommended. You shook your head. "I can't, this recital is three days away, I have to get this down," you responded.

"Listen, I get that but as your best friend I say ya need to just sit down a minute," he argued. "You're not gonna stop are you," you asked annoyed.

"Nope, besides how long have ya been at it today," he asked as you reluctantly sat down next to him.

"Probably like four hours," you answered, you knew he was right, you needed a break but you just couldn't get that damn move right.

"Four!? Alright nah, come on, ya need some fresh air," he said standing up. "I can't just leave. I hav-," you got cut off.

"Don't try getting out of this, I'm doing this for your own good," he said pulling you up. "Rurik, why must you be difficult," you sighed.

"The longer ya spend arguin' with me, the longer before ya can get back at it," you gave in, you knew you weren't gonna win in an argument against him.

"Fine, let me change clothes," you sighed in defeat, grabbing your normal clothes from your bag. You got changed and stomped back out the to studio.

"Hey, don't give me that look, come on let's go get somethin' to eat," he offered, as much as you wanted to hold up your mad act, the promise of food broke you.

You ended up at a small diner near where you were practicing. He was right, you did feel a little less stressed. Besides, you could never spend too much time with him.

He'd been your best friend since your Sophomore year of highschool, and if you were being honest you wanted so much more. Now being his friend was a perfect situation, you couldn't mess that up.

He's tall, strong, albeit slightly annoying sometimes but he had his sweet moments. And he cared about you more than anything, he was your biggest fan, even if he wouldn't always openly admit it.

You'd appreciate it if he had a different nickname for you than 'shorty' or other things related to your height but you knew he wouldn't give that up.

"Hey," you heard him say from across the booth table. "Ya zoned out, ya ok," he asked. You hurriedly nodded, you could tell he didn't buy it, but he left it alone.

You ate and left to go back to the studio, despite his attempts to keep you out longer. Though he had to admit, he liked watching you practice.

You went back to practicing, and during which you fell again but regardless he cheered for you and gave you a little motivation to keep trying.

After a few more tries you, while you still almost messed up, managed to do the move correctly. And at that point he forced you to call it a day, which you were actually alright with at that point.

You practiced more the next two days, and those days he was right there to make sure you took some time to relax so you weren't so stressed.

By the time the recital rolled around you were physically ready, mentally not as much. What if you messed up the move, what if the sound system failed. There was just so much that could go wrong.

You were in your dressing room back stage trying to hype yourself up, or at least give yourself a little confidence. A knock on the door grabbed your attention immediately though.

"Hey, shorty. Ya got a sec," Rurik asked through the door. "Yeah, come in," you answered, he could hear how nervous you were already.

He walked in, a bouquet of your favorite flowers in  his left hand. "You know those are usually given after the performance," you joked.

"Yeah, figured you might need em now though," he said handing the flowers to you. "Thanks Rurik," you thanked admiring them.

"No problem, cupcake," well, that was new. "Uh, anyways I'll see ya in a bit," he said and left before you could say anything else.

You shook off his strangeness and looked back at the flowers, though you noticed a envelope buried within the leaves.

'Good luck out there, cutie. Love ya.'

You smiled and blushed at the note, so that's why he was acting kinda weird.

"Miss Y/n, they need you on stage," you heard someone say through the door. You took one last look at the note and made your way out.

Once the curtain had opened you quickly searched the seats for him. You found him, he's a skeleton with greenish stars for pupils, how could you miss him.

You saw him smiling back at you, the look in his eyes helping your confidence. You took a breath and began your performance.

You were still worried about messing up, making a fool of yourself. But you pushed that out of your mind.

'Do it for him. You got this Y/n,' you thought as you began the move. You, much to your delight, managed to do the move correctly, sure you weren't perfect but you did your absolute best.

You did your ending move and was met with the loud cheers of the crowd. You took a bow and let the curtains close. Other performers complemented you and congratulated you as you went back to your dressing room

You quickly changed clothes and walked out into the hallway. You made your way to the door out to the auditorium, or you tried.

"Hey, I was lookin' for ya," you turned to Rurik. "I was actually going to find you," you responded.

"Ya did amazin' Y/n," he complemented, pulling you into a hug. "Thank you," you said simply, enjoying the hug.

"Come on, let's go get some ice cream," he said letting you go. "Wait, one thing first," you said before wrapping both arms around his neck and quickly kissing him.

He was in shock when you pulled back, but had a silly, love drunk grin on his face. "I saw your note, I love you too," you said.

He finally snapped out of it and managed to focus back on you.

"What can I say. Every tall guy needs a short girl to drive him crazy."