Dream x Mermaid Reader

Requested by KayMay26

Dreams P.O.V

Another battle over. A particularly stressful one at that, another day fighting against my own brother. "Hey Dream, you coming. Blue's making celebratory tacos," Ink called out while opening a portal to Underswap.

"I'll catch up later, I'm gonna go relax for awhile. You know I never like fighting Nightmare, I'm just gonna take my mind off things", he nodded and left.

One of my favorite places to go after battles was the beach back in my Au. It was always relaxing and I had found a spot that was always empty and quiet.

I teleported to my spot. It was in-between two long rock barriers that stretch far out into the water. The area is not very big but it's perfect for one person.

For some reason, just watching the waves crash had a relaxing feel to it. Not to mention that dolphins often swim through here, they're amazing to watch.

I took off my boots and went to stand in the water. The water was usually warm here year round, I'm not sure why but I'm not arguing.

While I was taking in the view of the horizon I saw something splash in the water out the corner of my eye. I ran over to the rock jetty on my left and walked as far out as I could without risking falling in.

The creature appeared again but all I saw was a tail. It looked like another dolphin or something. I sat down to see if it would come back to the surface.

I waited about 5 minutes and decided to go back to the sand. As I went to get up there was a splash right next to the rocks. I looked over to see a girl with h/c hair and e/c eyes with her arms propping herself up on the jetty.

"Umm hello, I wasn't aware anyone else knew about this area," I've never seen her before, not from around here at least.

"I come here alot. It's such a nice area," her voice sounded heavenly. "It really is, how come I've never seen you before," I asked.

"Well, I've lived around here my whole life, I just don't see anyone here usually," she explained. "So you live near the beach," I asked hoping to get a clearer answer.

"You could say that I suppose," she replied. "Suppose. What do you mean," she wasn't being very clear.

She sighed and climbed up onto the rock. The bottom half of her body was a f/c tail. It shimmered in the sunlight, it was beautiful.

"Hehe, what I meant by 'suppose' was that I live in the water. That's why I come here, no one's around. Except you I guess."

A mermaid, an actual mermaid. I always had the suspicion they may be real, but never did I think I'd meet one. "I'm here alot how come I've never seen you til now," I asked.

"Well we don't often show others what we are. But I've seen you alot and wanted to talk to you. Your the only person who comes around," she said while splashing her tail in the water.

"Thank you for showing yourself to me. I always thought mermaids were real, but I never thought I actually meet one," I said excited.

She giggled and slipped back into the water. "Nice to meet you, my name's Y/n by the way." "I'm Dream. It's nice to meet you too."

She began swimming away, after waving to me. "Wait when can I see you again," I called out. "How about tomorrow around sunset. If you want I can show you a nearby cove." I nodded and waved to her as she dived back down into the water.

I walked off the rocks back to the sand. I can't believe what just happened, I talked to a mermaid. She even wanted to meet me, this is awesome.

I could barely sleep that night, I was so excited to see her again. I have to admit she was stunning. She seemed really nice too.

I did as she asked and went back out around sunset the next day. She was already sitting on a barrier. She turned around and smiled when she saw me. "Hey Dream," she waved to me.

I waved back at her. "So you wanna go see the cove I was talking about," she asked getting back in the water. "Of course sounds fun," I said while removing my shirt and getting into the water after her.

She motioned for me to follow her. We swam a little ways off the beach to a small cave. She swam inside and showed me an indention in the rock so I could get out.

The water in the cave seemed to glow. "Like the water. There's a type of bioluminescent algea in here that makes it glow. It's perfectly harmless," she explained.

"That's so cool. I guess there's a lot about this area I didn't know," I said in awe still watching the water.

She giggled at my enthusiasm and then sighed. "Ya know, most people are scared of my kind. And what other types of mermaids have done. Thank you for trusting me."

"Why would they be scared, you're awesome," I complimented. She smiled and explained what she meant. "Well there are mermaids called sirens who are known to lure men to their death," she said sadly. "I guess it's understandable why people don't like us".

"But your not a siren. You'd never do anything like that," I said trying to brighten her up. "No, I wouldn't. I'm an open ocean mermaid. We're the ones that little girls love to dress up as," she said smiling sweetly.

"Oh it's getting late, we should get back to the beach," she said swimming to the mouth of the cave. I followed her and we swam back.

"Thanks for showing me that Y/n. I had fun," I said climbing back onto the rocks. "No problem Dream. You're fun to hangout with," she said splashing me with her tail.

"Heh, so same time tomorrow," I asked. "Sure, can't wait," she said swimming off.

We met up everyday for months. Over that time she taught me alot about mermaids and the ocean in general. She seemed to enjoy teaching me too.

And if I didn't like her from the beginning, learning more about her made me fall, hard. She was amazing, and kind.

"Hey Dream, I found something I think you'd like," she said, handing me a yellow and pink conch shell in perfect condition.

"Thank you, it's beautiful, like you," I said, in an attempt at flirting. I looked over at her to see her slightly blushing, but still smiling.

"Hehe, thank you. I've never met a guy as sweet as you," she complimented, pulling herself onto the rocks to sit beside me.

Now's my chance. "Y/n. You've made this past month amazing. You're fun, you're so kind and just perfect," I said making her blush madly, but she slid a little closer to me.

"I'm trying to say that I...well I love you Y/n." I took the chance and pulled her to me and kissed her. She tensed up but quickly kissed back. Her arms slid around my neck and I held onto her waist, well trying, I was still kinda wary about touching her tail.

She pulled away and rested her head on my shoulder. "I love you too Dream."

"I'm so glad you choose to show yourself to me that day. I don't wanna know what the rest of my life would have been like without you in it.