Nightmare x Wyvern Reader

Requested by  AquariaWolfie

"Hey boss, I think we found something you should take a look at," Horror called to Nightmare as he sat bored on his throne.

"This better be good," he said annoyed as Dust and Killer brought in a rather large cage covered by a tarp.

They removed the covering to reveal a smallish (f/c), two legged dragon trying to damage the cage bars by throwing itself against the sides.

"We found it in Reapertale, and we've never seen one of this kind so we figured we'd bring it to you," Dust explained.

Nightmare knew what it was, before his corruption he'd read hundreds of books about mythical creatures, dragons being one of his favorites.

"A wyvern," he said referring to it's two legs, winged arms and small size. "So you've seen one of these before," Horror asked.

"No, but I've always wanted to," he said getting up and walking to the cage.

He stuck his hand out for the dragon to get his scent, though it immediately pulled back, it's pupils going to slits.

"Take it to my room, I'll examine it more later," he ordered. The three others skeletons covered it back up and left.

He hid it from the three but he was thrilled to had seen one in person and he couldn't wait to study it more.

He teleported to the castles library to grab every dragon related book he could find and booked it to his room.

He made sure to be quiet as he entered his room, as the dragon had tired itself out trying to escape. He sat down next to the cage to get a better look at it.

It had a small gash on it's left leg, probably from his team capturing it. He couldn't help but feel kinda bad about that.

Sure he was one for destruction and pain, but this was just something else to him, he was sure the wyvern was just out in Reapertale living it's best life and suddenly it's in a cage.

He decided that once he got the research on it he wanted he would release it, even if he'd prefer to keep it.

Taking advantage of it's tiredness he pulled out a sketchbook, which he didn't really know why he had and started to draw the dragon.

Typically he wasn't the best artist, mainly because he really didn't care for it, but he was just enamored with the creature he could draw it almost perfectly.

After he finished his sketch he left the room to allow the dragon to sleep in peace, and to grab something to dress it's wound, if it would let him touch it.

He waited til he knew it was awake and slowly snuck into his room as to keep it as calm as possible.

Of course it noticed him pretty quickly and backed to the farthest corner of the cage it could. He remembered reading that wyverns were pretty intelligent and could sometimes understand people.

"Hey I'm not gonna hurt you, I know I look intimidating but I'm here to help with your injury," he said calmly and slowly.

The dragon loosened up a little but not to the point of coming closer. He walked over and undid the latch on the cage to show it he was serious.

It crept a little closer but not enough to leave the cage. "Hey if you let me do this, the sooner you can go back home," he said sitting on the floor to make himself less intimidating towards it.

It perked up it's head at the thought of returning home and slowly crawled, almost limping, out and over to lay beside Nightmare.

He began dressing the wound and trying to prove to it he meant no harm. After he finished it just laid there next to him, content.

"You seem pretty comfortable there, probably better than that cage huh," he asked getting a small nod from the dragon.

"Yeah, sorry about that, I had nothing to do with it," he apologized. "But now that I know you can understand me, can I ask you some things," he asked.

It nodded and laid it's head on his femur. He grabbed his sketch book and wrote down yes and no on a sheet, along with the alphabet on another.

"Ok so I have yes and no, and if you need to spell something out you can, sound good," he explained, it nodded once again.

"Ok well are you male or female, no for male, yes for female," the dragon used it's snout point to the yes written on the book.

"Alright, what's your name," he asked holding up the lettered page to her. She went letter by letter giving him time to write it down as she went.

"Y/n. Heh, well nice to meet ya, my name's Nightmare," he said lightly petting her head.

He asked her several more questions and she always seemed happy to answer, she seemed to enjoy having someone to talk to.

He was enjoying just as much, he'd spent his life learning about these, he read about them, even a couple times went exploring for them himself.

He had asked questions like where she lives in Reapertale, her favorite hunting places, and so many others like those.

Though throughout his questioning session he realizes she was a bit more hurt than he realized as she flinched quite badly when he accidentally hit her injured leg with his elbow.

"I know your probably all ready to go home, but you should probably stay here til your legs better, wouldn't be good for you to be injured in the wild," he said getting another nod from her.

She stayed for almost a week, she wasn't completely healed but it was almost there.

Over the week Nightmare had asked, or rather forced, Dust, Killer and Horror to apologise to her for her leg injury, in which she surprisingly forgave them with a gentle nuzzle to their sides.

Nightmare had also grown rather attached to the small dragon, he liked her company, even if she didn't really have much to say. He was sad that he'd have to see her go but it was what was best for her.

The last day of her stay had come and he was the one to take her home, since she was closest to him.

He walked into his room to see her curled up on his bed asleep, he had gotten rid of the cage shortly after them meeting.

He went over and sat on the bed, the feeling of the new weight making her slowly wake up. Once she did she saw how down Nightmare looked.

She crawled over to him as to comfort him, her way of doing so was resting her head on his leg and wrapping her tail around his wrist.

"Y/n, I've got some good news, well for you at least," he said trying to sound happy for her. She lifted her head up to show she was listening.

"You're pretty much completely healed, you can go home now," he said, not expecting her reaction.

She got up slightly and moved so she was laying on his lap, making it where he couldn't get up. "Come on let's go, you'll be better off there anyway," he said trying to get up, her not allowing him.

"Seriously Y/n get up, it's time to go," he said trying to push her off. She jumped up and ran to grab something off his dresser, his sketchbook.

She used her nose to turn to the yes and no page and quickly hit the word no. "You don't wanna go back," he asked surprised.

She shook her head and flipped to the letter page. She pointed out her words, once again allowing Nightmare to write them down.

'I don't want to leave. I like it here," she spelled out quickly. "Y/n, I like having you here but really it's best for you to go home," he said trying to make her realize he was doing what he thought was right.

She shook her head again and started her spelling once again. 'You're a good friend. I want to stay here with you.'

"You really want to stay," he asked still kinda shocked. She nodded happily and climbed back up on the bed.

"Alright, you're absolutely welcome to stay, we may need to set you up your own space though," he said looking at the small nest of jackets and t-shirts she had made.

She went and nuzzled the side of his face happily and laid back down allowing him to pet her head.

"Heh, welcome to the family Y/n."