NaJ! PJ x Reader

Requested by KailinHoffmann. Also 50th story, yay!

"So are you planning on asking anyone to prom," (f/n) asked while us and the rest of the prom committee were discussing the theme.

"I don't know. I'm just trying to focus on making sure we have a prom. The school barely gave us any money, we don't have enough for anything," I said hiding my face in my arm in frustration.

"We have to do something, come on we've gotta do a fundraiser or something," the teacher staying with our group said.

"No, no fundraisers. Those never work here," I said thinking. "What about a bake sale," one of the other students added. "I don't know. I'll think of something tonight and get back to you tomorrow," I said to the teacher as the bell rang.

She nodded and we left. Since our planning period was at the end of the day I could just focus on our money issue for a bit.

It might be kinda hard since I have to go the football field so I can meet up with one of my friends after his practice, but hey at least that's some time.

I found a spot at the top of the bleachers, racking my brain for ideas. A bake sale wouldn't make barely anything, fundraisers take too long and I sure wasn't asking the school for more money cause I know they'd say no.

"Hey Y/n. How'd the meeting go," my friend asked climbing up to where I was sitting. "Not good PJ, we don't have the funds and we can't agree on how to get it," I said leaning against the fence.

"You'll figure something out, you always do," he said trying to comfort me. "Thanks, but I've got to have a solution tonight, I don't even know where to start."

"How about after practice we go to the cafe in town and brainstorm there, a little food may help ya think," he said. "Yeah sure, I could use the help," I thanked.

"PJ, GET YOUR TAILBONE DOWN HERE," the coach yelled making us both jump. "Ugh, I'll talk to you in a bit Y/n," he said racing down to the field.

PJ and I have been friends since the end of our Freshman years. He was extremely popular, honestly he still is, and I was a quiet, shy girl who wasn't even thinking about talking to him.

But when you get forced to do a grade determining project together I didn't have a choice. I wanted to pass the class and he needed to keep his grades up to stay on the football team the next year.

I figured I would be put in charge of the whole thing but he was always asking me if he could help with something, honestly it was kinda cute.

The project was an absolute success and we stayed good friends after the fact. It actually shocked me a little, why would a star football player wanna be friends with someone as invisible as me.

Honestly in the beginning I thought it was some kinda joke, but after all the time we've spent together I know I was wrong.

I smiled thinking back on the memory, but between that and watching him practicing I wasn't getting anything done.

"Come on Y/n focus," I said making myself look away from the field. If I said that in the last year and a half I hadn't gained feelings for PJ, well I'd be a big liar.

But hey I'm lucky enough to have him as a friend, wanting something more is probably just unrealistic.

I shook my head to make me focus. For the next hour I sat there texting back and forth with some of the people on the committee trying to get ideas.

"What have I gotten myself into," I sighed, getting my stuff together while PJ was saying bye to his teammates.

We walked out to his car and drove to the cafe and he was right some food and a frappe did help. "So a bake sale is a yes, it won't be alot but it'll be some. We can also sell raffle tickets at school and at some games," I said while writing down the plan to show to the team.

"And me and some of my teammates can help with the bake sale and decorating when the time comes," he said proudly.

I sighed, a little more relaxed. "Thank you PJ. You're a lot of help. But there's another issue. We need a theme," I said.

"We are not doing under the sea, that's too common. And Paris nights was a bust last year," I added.

"How about a blackout theme. Ya know like black lights, neon and glowsticks and stuff," he suggested. "That sounds awesome. I'll definitely let the others know. Well that's two things down," I said with relief.

After that he drove me home so I could get the prices for blacklights and I still had to find a good dj.

The next day I told everyone PJ's idea and they l agreed that it would be fun to do. And that they would be open to the bake sale and the principal would let us sell the tickets.

Luckily we had found a bunch of blacklights in a storage room and the dj agreed to lower his price for the school. And between both of our money raising events we had plenty to buy all the glowsticks and other decorations.

And come the night of the prom the boys on PJ's football team were extremely helpful in getting the decorations up.

Even if I had to sit at the door to sell tickets to people who bought theirs to late, I was just happy we got it done.

Then I remembered PJ never bought one. I knew dances weren't his thing but I'd figured he'd still come. But I mean it wasn't like I was dancing anyway.

Once the flow of students slowed me and the other members had time to go outside and enjoy the night and get away from the noise in the gym.

We sat out there for about 15 minutes till someone tapped my shoulder to get my attention. It was PJ dressed in a white t-shirt, black leather jacket and dark blue denim jeans.

"Finally, I thought you weren't coming," I said getting up off the bench I was on. "You don't think I'd miss this do ya, you worked so hard on it," he said pulling a prom ticket out of his pocket.

"Now let's go have some fun," he said holding out his hand to me. "When did you even buy-," I said before turning to (f/n). They shrugged and smiled, motioning for me to go.

"Heh, alright. Let's go," I said taking his hand. We went in at the very end of a song. PJ quickly pulled me to the middle of the floor. He then looked at the dj and nodded, leaving me confused.

But not for long since right after a slow song started playing.

"This was your plan all along wasn't it," I asked smiling. "Well it worked didn't it," he said as he grabbed my waist, silently telling me to put my arms around his neck.

"Ya know, I've been wondering, you're this popular football player and I'm this invisible, dorky girl. Why did you choose me," I asked.

"Y/n, every since I met you I knew I would choose you. You were so quiet and shy in the beginning, it was adorable," he said resting his forehead against mine.

"And now, you're more confident, so ambitious. I mean you made this night possible. You're amazing."

"PJ...," I whispered trying not to tear up. "I love you Y/n," he said as he took a hand off my waist and tilted my head up so he could kiss me.

His other hand moved to the back of my head. He pulled away leaving me a blushing, smiling mess.

"God I love how your smile glows in the black light," he said sweetly.

The song finished and we snuck out to the football field to sit back at the top of the bleachers. The night was crystal clear and every star was visible.

"Thank you for all the help PJ,", I thanked him while still looking up at the sky. "No problem," he said pulling me closer.

"Anything for you."