Chapter 71

***

The next day, Chaeyoung and Lisa received the results from the investigation into Louis' poisoning.

"Organ failure?" Lisa frowned while reading the report that Jin had handed her.

"Yes Young Master. The doctors concluded that Young Master Louis might not wake up anytime soon. There..." Jin hesitated, "There is also a possibility that he will be forever in a vegetative state, never waking up until his body gives up on its own."

"What did you say caused the organ failure? Did you get the toxicology report?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Yes Miss. It's on the third page. The doctors said it was some plant... They said there is a possibility that he contracted the poison from his lab," Jin explained as Lisa passed the report to Chaeyoung. The latter then examined the report and instantly lifted an eyebrow.

"Rosary peas... It would be reasonable for them to assume that he is studying some chemicals and that was where he got the poison. Louis is a chemist after all. However..." Chaeyoung made a deliberate pause as she typed something to her laptop before showing this to Lisa. "His neat records and journals show that he was not studying any poisonous plants, much less rosary peas."

"The doctors have already given these findings to the authorities and I heard they would close the case as an accidental poisoning," Jin said.

Chaeyoung giggled. "It seems that Minnie overestimated herself. She thought that she could finish everything before we discovered what had caused the poison. Either that or I had ruined her original plans and made her make drastic changes at the last minute, causing these mistakes."

"Don't let the authorities close this case. Tell them about Louis's laptop and journals. Tell them the Manoban Family does not believe that this is just an accident. Also, release this to the media. I want Minnie to know what is going on." Jin bowed after hearing Lisa's orders before silently leaving the room.

"What else did you find out?" Lisa asked her wife.

"I inspected Minnie's trips and it seems that she traveled to a tropical country three months ago. Rosary peas only grow in these kinds of countries," Chaeyoung said, her eyes never leaving her laptop. "I will compile all this evidence. For now, I am not sure how Minnie gave the poison to her brother. All I know is that after the initial contact, it will take approximately four days before the poison from rosary peas take effect which means he was poisoned four days before the party."

"Her timing was impeccable. I'm sure she was caught her off guard by the announcement, which was why she made some drastic changes. It makes me wonder what her original plan was," she added.

"Maybe... she wanted to poison her brother and make it seem as if he saved Grandfather," he answered. "Anyway, I already ordered my men to rescue my uncle the moment Minnie leaves the villa."

"I don't think she will leave the villa anytime soon," Chaeyoung blurted before reaching for her phone. She could see how Minnie was enjoying the torture. "But I have a way to make her leave."

...

Minnie was currently in the basement when one of her men told her that someone named Chaeyoung was calling.

This startled Minnie. She immediately wiped the blood off her hands and scurried her way out of the bloody basement.

"Hello?" she answered her phone, her voice sweet and innocent, making Chaeyoung shiver.