Chapter 112

***

Gideon smirked at Claire's panic-stricken expression. Who would want a mother like her?

That was the reason the Lee Family was very confident that Chaeyoung would side with them, instead of siding with Claire.

Claire and her team were elites. Yet, they had fallen into the trap of greed. One of their superiors had ordered them to accomplish a simple mission: Eradicate a group of terrorists that had been camping in a remote village. It was seemingly a very simple mission.

They were supposed to just go inside, plant the explosives and detonate them, that was all.

However, what they did not know was that one of the officials was using that place to hide the kids that had been kidnapped and used for organ supplement to the black market. The official needed someone to clean up after him. So, he decided to use his connections in the military to issue that order.

The official's plan worked perfectly.

Claire and her team killed more than twenty innocent souls and other people who were guarding them. Not that the Lee Family ever cared about killing innocent. In fact, they didn't really care about things like that. However, that particular incident was a special case as it involved Claire.

That information was actually the product of Mason's endless research on Claire. When Gideon found out, he immediately told the Lee Family about that, with hopes that they could use that information against Claire.

Now, many people might be wondering, why would Gideon betray Mason? Gideon was willing to even be poisoned for his King, yet he betrayed the King for telling the Lee Family about Claire.

Why?

Because Mason had left him for that woman...

Not just once but already twice. He never hesitated when he walked out of the Lee Family's mansion and chose to be with Claire. Gideon was jealous. That was right! He was jealous of Mason's feelings towards that woman! How could he abandon the Lee Family for Claire without even batting an eyelid? How could Mason… abandon him?

They grew up together! They were best friends! He couldn't deny that he… he loved Mason. He loved him to the point of sacrificing everything for him. Yet, Mason just left.

Mason's actions made Gideon almost mad from anger! Because of that, he searched for Claire's real identity. He hoped that he could use that to threaten her away from Mason. However, what surprised him the most was that Claire actually left Mason on her own accord.

He originally thought that it would be over after that. And indeed Mason came back and he was there… being his right-hand man. He was contented. He was happy. However, deep inside he also knew that Mason had never stopped looking for that woman. He wanted to know what had happened back then. What made her leave him. He even asked Gideon to help him.

Gideon never refused any of his requests, no matter how much it hurt him. That was all because he hoped to uncover something that would make Mason hate Claire. And he succeeded… he found out about that incident, which became the reason that Claire left Mason.

It was because she found out that the mission was actually to kill those children.

But did Mason hate her? No! To Gideon's horror, Mason smiled at him gently and told him how relieved he was to finally know that Claire had not left him because she had stopped loving him.