Chapter 101

***

"Explain." Chaeyoung said coldly, wondering if the Lee Family is only planning to use her because of her talents.

"The Lee and the Zhou families rivalry caused great chaos in the market. This made most of the establishments on Luxembourg owned by either the Lee's or the Zhou's. There is a balance in everything as we rule the country and they rule the black market."

Both Chaeyoung and Lisa narrowed their eyes at Gideon almost at the same time.

Black market.

Luxembourg.

Lee Family

A single name instantly appeared in their mind.

Henry Lee.

Gideon, on the other hand, seemed not to notice their reactions as he continued. "The balance is there... Yet, someone influential and powerful could ruin it anytime. Make one family more powerful, and chaos will ensue."

"So you're saying that I am this person," she stated. "But you also said that the Lee Family had been ruling the country because they are more powerful. So how come my existence could help you when you are already more powerful than them?"

"They have the backings of our enemy," he answered. "These people were just waiting for the right time for them to strike and wipe out our family. The fact that someone who is influential and full of potential is possibly coming to join our family is making them fear that we will strike them once we obtain your support."

"Then a war will…"

Gideon shook his head. "This is not about a war. War will only bring us money. War in our eyes means profit."

"This is about the fact that once you join us… we will become the only hegemon not just in Luxembourg but also to the whole eastern countries."

"Alright… you are still making me confused." Chaeyoung kneaded her temples before looking back at Gideon. "I am a simple woman who is trying to make a living. How would I make you a hegemon? My talents are not something that is not seen for centuries. Why don't you train another person from your family? Make them a master in technology, so you could use them?"

"It's not just you... " Gideon stared back at Chaeyoung before moving his gaze towards Lisa, then into her ring. The ring that Chaeyoung gave her for their engagement. "It's also her. It should be you and Lisa together."

"Tell me… where did you get your onyx ring?" he asked Chaeyoung. "I'm assuming it's from your mother?"

Chaeyoung glanced at Lisa's ring before nodding.

"Do you know what this ring is? If your mother knew that Lisa is wearing this ring then she might scold you for being so reckless."

Chaeyoung's face instantly stilled when Gideon mentioned her mother. Claire was working with them for months now and Chaeyoung was sure that she saw this ring on Lisa. If this ring is so important then why did Claire not say anything? Or warn her?

"Then tell me… what is this ring?" she asked as her heartbeat started to race. Is her mother aware that this ring will bring them danger? If she is… then why let Lisa wear it?