1

Carla

Carla

My phone rang. I glanced at it for a brief second before halting what I was doing. I picked up my phone and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Hello," I replied to the person on the other line.

"Carla?" The feeble voice asked me.

"Yes?" I asked not recognizing the person on the other side.

"It's me, Nina." The person replied.

Nina. My oldest and longest client. She calls me every now and then to revise her will. She is a woman in her mid 60's and had been fighting cancer for 4 years now. She is convinced that she will die and calls me once a month. She was one of my first clients. I know her family and they know me. Nina is an amazing woman. She along with her husband, launched one of the biggest companies in the world. They had nothing when they started out and now, the entire world is at their feet. Beckett Inc. is a multinational company that is worth billions. She is my big shot client.

As of now, Nina's cancer has been progressing and she has stopped responding to treatments. She has been calling me every single week since she found out her health has been declining. I go down to her mansion every single week to review her will. She has a son and a daughter, twins actually. Both of them went to my school and are like three years older than me. I haven't seen them since. I was a first-grader back then. They were in public school for just one year, later they went to some expensive private school.

"Carla?" She spoke again. I hadn't realized that I didn't respond to her.

"Yes, Mrs. Beckett," I replied.

"Carla I have something important. Can you please visit me today?"

"Sure Mrs. Beckett, I'll be free..." I said looking through my appointments.

"I'll be free at five today. We can meet then." I said.

"Looking forward to it Carla. Goodbye." She said as she hung up on the call.

Most of the time, there are usually no changes in her will but since she found out her life is coming to an end, she has new heirs every week.

Like last week, she called me down to give her old wooden cabin to a random girl who helped her load her car during grocery shopping. I didn't know how to react to it. When I asked Nina the name of the girl, she told that she looked around 13-14 years of age and wore a pink t-shirt and blue jeans. I thought I wasn't clear and repeated the question to her but the reply I got was, I don't know.

She asked me to find who that girl was. I had to go down to the grocery shop, she went shopping and pull the security tapes. I had an investigator look for the girl. I tried convincing Nina out of it but she didn't budge. After three days, I found out that the girl lives in a small town right out of the city.