65

serenity

serenity

/sɪˈrɛnɪti/

noun

the state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled

"These property papers are fake." She repeated and Aeden looked at her confused as he pulled the papers from her hand and looked at them with his brows snapped together in a thin line.

"What are you saying," he pursed his lips and glared at her.

"Lemme show you," she said as she snatched the papers from his hands and took some other papers which were genuine and laid them side by side on the floor.

"Feel the paper. There is a difference. This one on the right, which are the fakes, is much smoother." She said and nudged him to feel the difference.

"Extremely difficult but original papers can never be this smooth." She said and he looked at her weirdly.

"Also," she took a pen which was down on the floor, "See this, the fonts. This 't' here, it's different and if you notice carefully, you will find the 'n' and 'p' also different." She said as she circled the specific letters on the fake papers. He pushed her hand away and held both the papers in his hand and read through it carefully.

"So, these are fake?" He asked her calmly but she didn't miss the burning rage in his eyes.

"Well... mostly." She said as he looked at her for some time. None of them spoke as Carla looked at him expectantly for an answer. She didn't know what was going on in his mind.

"It is extremely subtle, no one would have found out. I would have overlooked it as well, it's close to perfection." She said and he glanced at her, and she shivered. She had never seen him so furious before. He seemed like an active volcano ready to erupt. She gulped and focused her gaze on him as an awkward silence blanketed them.

His phone buzzed breaking the awkward silence. She glanced at his phone but he didn't answer it as he kept staring at the two different types of paper.

But when it kept on ringing, he picked it up and punched it frustratingly, and answered it.

"Who's this," he snapped and Carla winced at his tone. She was sure whoever that was, had to face his untamed fury.

"Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. I thought you could do better," the guy on the other side of the phone spoke.

"What do you want?"

"How did the great prophet miss the fake papers?" The guy on the other end mocked.

"Cliff, I will kill you." Aeden ground his teeth harshly enough for the sound to resonate throughout the room.

"Nah. You wouldn't do that," he said in pure amusement.

"You wouldn't do that, knowing I possess your drugs which are worth billions."

Aeden tightened his hold on his phone and crushed the fake papers with his free hand. He was shaking due to the burning rage.