Working

The lantern flickered, and the little flame that was on the inside went out, winking away the light and replacing it with choking darkness.
"Oh well." I said. "Its almost daytime anyway."
She gave me a smile that I could only see in the dim moonlight, and then, she reached into her pocket and pulled out one of those golden pocket watches. She smiled when she opened it, and I saw that it was near the time for sunrise.
"Come on." She said, closing the watch and shoving it in her pocket. "To the aft castle, lets watch the sunrise."
Suddenly, she grabbed my hand, and that sent an electric shock right through me, jolting me with feelings. She dragged me along the ship, then up the stairs to the aft castle, where we looked out at the expanse of the sea, far to the east where the sun was going to rise. As we watched, and the minutes began to pass, the horizon slowly lit up with a pink light, gradually changing to the deep red, then rose, then orange, then a beautiful yellow, right as the sun was coming over the horizon. The sun cast a beautiful splash of reds, blues, yellows, oranges, and even a few greens across the sky as it rose above the sea.
"Whoa. Thats really pretty."
Senchou sighed peacefully.
"I always love the sunrises. It means we've survived another day."
"Thats all that matters." I said, giving her a genuine smile.
She smiled right back at me, then she gave me another of the really tight hugs, but this time, she rocked us from side to side, almost making me seasick with the rocking of the boat. I hugged her back, then pulled out of the hug as the crew began to slowly wake up and replace the much smaller night time crew.
"So uhm, what needs to be done today? Like, what's my job?"
"Your job is to just help out the crew with anything they need."
I gave her another smile, then nodded.
"Sounds great." I said. "Take care of yourself, yeah?"
She blushed a little bit, and I went off to do my duties. So far, as the crew was just waking up, there was a ton of work to do, but as I went down farther into the hold, I saw the ships cook, a guy named Cookie, go figure, standing behind the counter. The guy was old, and I mean OLD. He was surprisingly shorter than me, with a big, bushy gray beard that dominated the lower portion of her face, and as he was browning a large amount of ground beef, he brushed his beard with his hands, trying to fluff it up unsuccessfully.
"Heya there, Cookie." I said, placing my hands on the counter.
He turned around, pausing whatever song was going through his head, and when he saw me, he smiled.
"Hey Micheal, how's it going?"
"Its hot, but I'm fine for now."
"Well, thats how it be on these tubs." He said, spitting in a large bucket that was sitting against the doorframe to the kitchen. "Its hot below the decks, but its roasting up there! And speaking of roasting..."
With that, he turned back to the ground meat that was searing in the pan, and he walked back over to it, flipping the meat to cook it on the other side.
"Anything I can do to help though?" I asked.
"Aye that!" He said. "Pans need some washin, so grab the whiskey and start cleanin em."
"The whiskey?" I said. "What the hell is the whiskey gonna do?"
"It cleans it, and it makes it extra shiny. Also, gives a little kick to the food."
I clicked my tongue, and I grabbed both the brown bottle of whiskey and the crusty pan, and I started to pour the whiskey on it, making sure not to waste too much of it. I set the bottle on the counter, then grabbed the brush and started to scrub the inside of the pan, making sure that I got up all of the food residue and the grime from cooking. It all spilled into the bucket on the floor, successfully washing out of the pan with enough scrubbing and work. After scrubbing the pan, I grabbed a set of plates and began to scrub and wash them off, trying to get them as close to spotless as I possibly could, and when I would get done with one, I would set it off to the side to dry against the wall. After a while of washing various types of dishes, both Cookie and I sat back against the counter, proud of our work.
"Thank you very much, Micheal." He said. "I'll reserve you a little extra dinner tonight, eh? Whaddya say?"
"Ehh, not too hungry tonight, but sure, save me a plate." I said.
And with that, I turned to walk out of the kitchen.