Darkness

"Come on Jansen, thats not fair!" She said, jumping up and down, trying to get the ring back.
Jansen gave her a laugh, then he put his forearm against her to keep her at bay.
"Awwww you want the ring back?" He said, taunting her playfully. "Gotta come and get it!"
"Jansen!!!" She whined, jumping to try and reach it.
As she was jumping up and down, I noticed that Jansen was laughing and staring at her breasts, which were bouncing up and down with her motions. So far, she hadn't noticed what he was doing, but in one final jump, she grabbed the ring and put it back on her finger.
"I got it!" She said. "You aren't so tough."
"Aye, but I enjoyed the show!" He said, giving her a toothy grin.
She stared right at him, but after just a moment, she figured out what he meant, and she reached to her plate, grabbed a bit of the remainder of the bread, and chucked it right at Jansen, hitting him in the shoulder.
"What was that for?" He asked.
"For looking at a lady like that!!"
He rolled his eyes as he threw up his arms in exasperation.
"A lady?" He said. "How do I treat a lady?"
"What kind of question is that?"
"An honest one! I don't know how to treat a lady." He said, putting extra emphasis on the word lady.
She sighed, then shook her head, walking over to him. In the shadow of the lanterns, I could barely see the both of them, but from what I could see, Noel got really close to Jansen and looked him straight in the eyes.
"You want to know how you treat a lady?" She whispered, her voice barely audible.
"Aye."
She reached up, then grabbed the tentacle that was around his wrist and squeezed. The moment she did, he winced in pain, but he held the tough expression that he always wore.
"With respect." She said. "Treat a lady with respect."
She let go of the tentacle, and she turned and walked to the door of the medical bay, before opening the door and disappearing inside. Jansen sighed, then slouched against the supporting pillar, putting a small flask of rum to his lips and taking a large swig. He burped loudly, then sat there silently, staring blankly at the cannons on the other side of the room. I slowly got out of my hiding spot, then approached Jansen, and when I got close enough, he looked up, his tired, slightly drunk eyes looking at me lazily.
"Ahoy Micheal." He said, taking another swig of the rum. "How's it going?"
I put my hands on the ground, then sat down next to him.
"Just tired. Marine beat me up while we were practicing."
"Aye, she kind of does that." He said. "When she was teaching me to fight, I would get so many cuts that I couldn't move the next morning."
"She taught you to fight?"
"Aye. When we met, I was but a wee little Siren, and Marine was but a wee lass." He said as he took another sip of the rum. "Would you like a sip?"
He held out the flask of rum, and I shrugged before taking it and gulping down a large swig of the alcohol.
"Is that how y'all met? As kids?" I asked.
"Aye that." He replied.
Jansen looked around, then sat up a little bit and leaned in close, allowing me to smell the scent of his unwashed body and the alcohol. Or, maybe it was just me, since I hadn't bathed since coming to this world.
"Don't be going around and telling people that I told you this, aye?"
"Aye." I said. "What is it?"
"Marine has had it pretty rough in life." He said. "No father, no mother, no support in life. Started piracy when she was young. Really young. Basically, since she was walking and talking, she was plundering."
"She was a captain at that age?"
"No, just a crew member, raised by a captain that loved her more than her own damn parents."
He took another swig of the rum, looking more and more pissed off as the story progressed.
"Who were her parents?"
He looked around yet again, and while he did, I found myself taking another sip of the rum, letting it burn down my throat like a raging, violent wildfire.
"Okay, so a while back, before she was born or the Sirens had appeared, the Kingdom and the Alliance of Elves were on the very brink of an all-out war."
"Wait a minute. Hold on. Elves?"
"Aye, why? Is that weird?"
"I mean, I guess it isn't for y'all, but on my world, we just had humans. I didn't think that elves actually existed."
"Aye, Marine told me all about that. Here, we have a lot of very, very different people." He said, holding out his hand for the flask of rum, which I gave back to him. "I can tell you about them in a moment, but back to the story, aye?"
"Aye."
"Okay, so the Kingdom and the Alliance were nearing a total war, so in a last ditch attempt to make peace and save the lives of a ton of people, the Duchess of the Elves at the time, and the prince of the Kingdom fell in love, and they married, providing a means to a peace."
"Did they make peace?"
"Well now Micheal, use your brain. We wouldn't be here if those idiots didn't find peace, now would we?" He said with a laugh.
"I guess not."
"Aye that." He said. "Anyway, apparently, the Duchess and the Prince got it on, and nine months later, Marine was born. But those idiots, those- those worthless troglodytes didn't want to raise a child. So instead of doing the at least halfway decent thing of putting her in an orphanage, they stuck her in a barrel and put her on a ship bound for the city of Wake."
He took another swig of the rum, and when I looked at him, his eyes shone with anger, malice, and sadness.
"About halfway through the voyage, the ship was attacked by pirates. They killed the crew and captain, and when they went to seize the cargo, they heard Marine faintly crying in the barrel, and when they forced it open, there was Marine, malnourished, barely breathing, and nearly dead."
Again, he paused, and this time, I took a swig of the rum, wishing to ease the burden of the story.
"They brought her to the Captain of the pirate ship, and he was a thousand times more kind than anyone in the royal families of both the Alliance and the Kingdom. So, he took her in and gave her a chance at life."
"And that's where y'all met."
"Aye."