Chapter Five - The Badge & The Burden

On the first day of Beacon, Alucard found himself standing in the classroom of Professor Peter Port. He stood in the corner and watched as Port began to give a lecture.

Port: Monsters! Deeeemons... Prowlers of the night! Yes, the creatures of Grimm have many names, but I merely refer to them as prey! Ha-ha!

Port's intro seemed to silence the class with varying degrees of interest. It wasn't long before a dapper looking old man entered the classroom. 

Alucard: Walter Dornez. 

Walter: Alucard. My assignment took longer than I expected. I had hoped not to miss the Initiation.

Alucard: You missed quite the spectacle, Walter. These new students have remarkable potential. 

Walter: I am looking forward to seeing what these students have to offer.

Alucard and Walter watched as Port continued his lecture. 

Port: Uhhhh... And you shall too, upon graduating from this prestigious academy! Now, as I was saying: Vale, as well as the other three kingdoms, are safe havens in an otherwise treacherous world! Our planet is absolutely teeming with creatures that would love nothing more than to tear you to pieces! And that's where we come in. Huntsmen! Huntresses. Individuals who have sworn to protect those who cannot protect themselves! From what, you ask? Why, the very world!

Port then goes off on a long winded tale about his exploits which seem to bore the class. Alucard and Walter watched the students with interest. Alucard's eyes fell on Ruby. As he studied Ruby, he noticed that Weiss appeared to be agitated by something. Upon further studying, it was clear that it had something to do with Ruby. As Port regains the attention of his class, he finishes his story as well as offer a moral.

Port: The moral of this story? A true Huntsman must be honorable! A true Huntsman must be dependable! A true Huntsman must be strategic, well-educated, and wise! So, who among you believes themselves to be the embodiment of these traits?

Without hesitation, Weiss raised her hand in apparent frustration.

Weiss: I do, sir!

Port: Well, then, let's find out! Step forward, and face your opponent!

Port then releases a Boarbatusk Grimm from a cage. Upon seeing this, Alucard chuckled. 

Walter: A Boarbatusk? Interesting. I hope Miss Schnee is up to the task.

Weiss then engages the Boarbatusk while Ruby cheers her on much to her annoyance. During the fight, Weiss is momentarily disarmed.

Port: Oh-ho! Now what will you do without your weapon?

As Ruby attempts to give Weiss advice, Weiss is having none of it as she grows more agitated by it. Weiss then retrieves her Myrtenaster sword and drives the sword into it's chest, but the Boarbatusk continues to attack. Weiss tries to pull her sword out, but the Grimm proved too stubborn.

Weiss: Why won't it come out?!

As Weiss struggles to pull her sword out of the Grimm, the Boarbatusk overpowers Weiss. Suddenly, the Boarbatusk was wrapped by what appeared to be thin wires. Weiss and the students followed the wires to see Walter manipulating the wires from his fingertips. With a flick of his wrists, the wires slices the Boarbatusk into pieces. Alucard chuckles at Walter's display.

Alucard: A fine display, Walter. I see age has not robbed you of your skills. 

Walter: Thank you for the kind words, Alucard. 

As the Boarbatusk was killed, Walter calmly walks to the center of the classroom and greets the students. 

Walter: Greetings, students. My name is Walter C. Dornez, butler to this fine establishment and former master Huntsmen. I must apologize for my late arrival. My assignment took longer than I expected. 

Port: Bravo! Bra-vo! It appears we are indeed in the presence of a true Huntsman and Huntress! I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today. Be sure to cover the assigned readings, and... stay vigilant! Class dismissed!

As class was dismissed, Weiss attempts to storm off, but is stopped by Ruby. In that moment, Weiss vented her frustrations at Ruby. After this altercation, Weiss storms off. 

Walter: What an interesting bunch. It seems this year is going to be quite interesting. 

Alucard: Quite right. 

With class dismissed, Alucard and Walter exited the classroom to find Ozpin waiting for them. 

Ozpin: Mister Dornez. It is wonderful to see you alive and well.

Walter: Quite right, Master Ozpin. The assignment took longer than expected, but I managed to achieve satisfactory results. 

Ozpin: I saw the report. A good job indeed. Alucard? I have an assignment for you. 

Alucard: What is it, my master?

Ozpin: There have been....unconfirmed reports of a Vampire taking refuge in Kuroyuri. 

Alucard: Say no more, my master. This...Vampire will be silenced. 

Ozpin: Kuroyuri may be a ghost town, but I still advise discretion.

Alucard nods to Ozpin as he sets out on his mission to kill the rumored Vampire hiding out in Kuroyuri. Meanwhile at an orphanage in Mistral, two children were arguing when a man wearing a priest's uniform intervenes.

Priest: Now both of you stop that! There's no fighting between friends. How do you expect to go to Heaven acting like that? 

Boy: Sorry, Father Anderson!

Anderson: Listen, violence is never the right answer, except when it is used against heathens and monsters. 

As Anderson got the boys to stop, a priest approaches him. Anderson tells the boys to go to their rooms and they do so.

Anderson: So what do I owe this visit? 

Priest: I'm afraid we have been hearing a lot of bad news up in the kingdom of Vale. Vampires.

Anderson: Is that right? And why should Ozpin's little kingdom be of any concern to us? I saw let the monsters and heathens kill each other and let God sort it out.

Priest: The situation is much more complicated than that. There is a Vampire in Kuroyuri and Ozpin has sent his agents to hunt this Vampire. 

Upon hearing this, Anderson's tone changed. 

Anderson: The nerve of Ozpin, sneaking around where they are not wanted like he belongs there. This fool is as shameless and presumptuous as ever. 

Priest: We will teach Ozpin to know his place, Anderson. He treads on sacred ground. This Vampire is ours to destroy. We want you to deal with this before they do. 

Anderson: And if I should run into Ozpin or his agents?

Priest: Just remember, we are part of God's divine instrument on Remnant. We do not retreat when we are challenged by heretics. 

Anderson: If anyone does not love our Lord, let them be accursed at His coming, God save you from your fate. Amen. 

With that, Alexander Anderson sets out on his mission to Kuroyuri to slay the Vampire. In that moment, a collision course was set between Alucard and Alexander Anderson.