Chapter Seventy One - Dead End

The next day, Alucard and Walter along with the rest of the group walk up to the Atlesian Military base on the island off the coast of Argus, only for the gates to abruptly close on them before they could even enter.

Yang: Come on! You didn't even hear us out!

Nubuck Guard 1: Our orders are clear: The Mistral-Atlas border is closed!

Nubuck Guard 2: Please!

Nubuck Guard 1: Have a good day!

As Qrow points out Weiss Schnee, the guards rush to fetch the commanding officer. Soon enough, the military base's commanding officer makes her presence known. The guards introduce her as Caroline Cordovin.

Ruby: H-hello! Miss, uh, Cordovin. My name is Ruby Rose, and I was wondering if you would hear us out about....

Cordovin: I've already heard what your other little friends had to say, Miss Rose.

Walter: Then you must understand why we must continue to Atlas. 

As Walter spoke up, Cordovin glances over to him.

Cordovin: Walter Dornez. I'm not surprised you're involved in this. You civilians are clearly incapable of comprehending the importance of our mission here in Argus. So allow me to say this slowly, with smaller words: This base, that relay tower, the very safety of Argus are all gifts from the glorious Kingdom of Atlas! And it is my duty to uphold them, as only I have the wit and tenacity for such a task.

Guard Nubuck 1: Such wit!

Guard Nubuck 2: Such tenacity!

Maria: Or maybe Atlas just wanted to get you as far from the kingdom as possible.

Cordovin: You're just like the rest of these Argus ingrates! This city wouldn't even be here if it weren't for our Atlesian ancestors, and what do we get in return? The entire world is ready to put a knife to our throats!

As things grew tense between Maria and Cordovin, Alucard began laughing. Cordovin immediately became hostile. 

Cordovin: Did I say something funny?

Alucard: Indeed you have. Your pathetic attempts to appear strong is so much like that insolent little general.

Cordovin: Watch your mouth about General Ironwood, civilian!

Alucard: So much bravado and arrogance. It's quite amusing that you think that the world is yours. If only you knew.....

Walter: Now is not the time for this. We have much greater concerns at hand. 

Cordovin: The General told me about the both of you. Always preaching from his high horse who lacked the will to do what was necessary.

Maria: Now you've gone too far! Walter is a good man!

Cordovin: As if you're one to talk, Calavera. 

Without warning, Alucard began approaching Cordovin. The Nubuck Guards immediately ready their weapons. 

Weiss: No one's happy about the Atlas borders or embargo, but I know General Ironwood is just worried. It's why we need to talk to--

Cordovin: The General is no coward! Atlas is strong. If all the kingdoms plan to make us their enemy, then so be it! Atlas will prevail!

Alucard: I've known men like Ironwood. He is a fool and a coward who's all talk and no bite. How he rose to the rank he has is quite beyond me. You should all be grateful of my master's compassion. Otherwise I would've slaughtered you all like the mangy dogs you are!

As Alucard openly threatened Cordovin, the Nubuck Guards aimed their weapons at Alucard. Alucard simply chuckles as he glares menacingly at the Nubuck Guards.

Alucard: Do you dogs have what it takes to kill me? Hhm? I doubt you Atlesian dogs could put up a decent fight. 

Walter: If you continue on this path, Cordovin, you won't like what you find.

Cordovin: As if a civilian would know anything about it. General Ironwood is one of Remnant's top military minds. If anything, it's this so called "great evil" that's unprepared for what they plan to face. I frankly don't care who you are, Dornez. In my eyes, you're just another civilian who has no business in military matters. If Miss Schnee has truly come to her senses and wishes to return to her family, then, of course, the Atlas military will escort her home. But the kingdom will not be responsible for her "friends" of... questionable character.

As Cordovin glances at Blake, Weiss steps in.

Weiss: What's that supposed to mean?

Cordovin: It means we're done here.

Walter: Listen to reason, Cordovin. You're not prepared for what's coming. It's that same mentality that led to Beacon's fall. Meeting force with force never ends well. 

Cordovin: We're done here.

With that, the doors to the Argus Military Base slam shut, leaving the group outside. Nora becomes enraged.

Nora: Oh yeah? Well, your face looks...like a big dumb boot!

Jaune: Way to show her, Nora...

Weiss: I don't...

Ruby: Weiss. I told you we wouldn't leave your side for a second. We'll find a way to Atlas. Together.

As Weiss smiles at Ruby, Qrow begins walking away.

Ruby: So... where are we going now?

Nora: Yeah, what's the plan?

Qrow: The plan? The plan just got shut on our face three times over. I'm going for a drink. 

Walter: If you have a better suggestion as to how to move forward, then by all means tell us.

Qrow: Why don't you ask the No Life King on the plan?

With that, Qrow scoffs and walks away. 

Jaune: What's his problem? It's not your fault we can't go on.

Nora: If he's gonna be a jerk then we'll just come up with something without him. I mean, we've got Ozpin with us! He usually knows what to do.

Jaune: But why did Qrow just call Mr. Alucard the No Life King?

As Jaune asked that, most of the group looked to themselves with troubled looks, knowing the truth behind Ozpin. With that, the group reached another dead end. They would need to find another way to continue on their journey. But a solution would soon present itself. However, before the journey could continue, the truth about Ozpin and Salem as well as Alucard would need to revealed to Jaune, Ren and Nora.