Chapter Sixty Eight - Alone In The Woods

As the morning rose, Alucard and Walter along with Team RWBY, Qrow, Oscar and Maria meet outside the farm. It was clear to the Alucard and Walter that Team RWBY were on their last legs. Soon enough, Weiss spoke.

Weiss: Last night, I...I couldn't stop thinking - why are we even going to Atlas?

Ruby: Weiss, we have to.

Yang: Why? Ozpin hid the Relics behind giant doors under enormous schools, but...how long would it take Salem to find a Lamp in the middle of nowhere?

Ruby: What? The Grimm might....

Yang: They'd find it eventually, sure, but bury it or just throw it down the well, it would take years. It might not even happen in our lifetime. But we could be done with it now.

As Yang said this, Alucard laughed.

Alucard: So your solution is to close your eyes and pray the monster goes away? How pathetic. 

Walter: This world is in need of heroes. We have been brought here to combat this great darkness that moves against us. If we are to defeat this evil, we must remain united!

Ruby looked upon the Relic with conflicting emotions. A part of her was tempted to drop the Relic down the well. As she looks down the well, she sees a pair of red eyes staring back at her. In a moment of panic, Ruby drops the Relic down the well.

Ruby: No! No! No! I didn't mean to!

Weiss: Maybe it's for the best that we leave it here.

Yang: Hey, it's okay sis. You just said you're tired. It's probably nothing. Now let's go.

Ruby: What's wrong with you?! We can't just leave, we have to go down there! We have to get the Lamp back! Oh, what was I thinking?!

Yang tries to calm Ruby down by placing a hand on her shoulder. Ruby immediately slaps it away, shocking Yang.

Yang: Ruby.....

Ruby: If we give up now, everyone we've lost will have died for nothing! Pyrrha....Penny.....I can't let their deaths mean nothing!

As Ruby lashed out a her half sister, Walter steps in. 

Walter: I will continue the mission. If you all truly feel that you cannot continue, I cannot force you to follow. If you all truly wish to leave, then I will bear no ill will towards you. Alucard and  I will go down there to retrieve the Lamp and continue to Atlas with Master Oscar.

As Walter went down the well, Alucard turned his gaze upon Ruby's group. 

Alucard: I had such high hopes for you all. Imagine my disappointment. When the world burns around you, I want you all to remember this day. And pray we do not meet again. 

Alucard's warnings sent a chill down everyone's spine as he joined Walter down the well. Ruby soon joined Alucard and Walter down into the well to retrieve the Relic. Feeling a sense of guilt and shame, the rest of Team RWBY followed. As they descend into the well, they find a vast underground waterway.

Yang: Maybe the current carried it away.

As they continue to search the well, they soon found a bright blue glowing light of the Relic. Once they find it, Ruby runs over to grab it. As she retrieves it, she spots multiple humanoid-looking Grimm of different sizes are bunched together. It wasn't long before everyone spots them. Without hesitation, Alucard pulls out his Jackal and Casull pistols and begins unloading on them. 

Alucard: Come you fiendish legions! Come black host and break yourself against my wrath!

Walter: Get the Relic to safety! Alucard and I will hold them off!

Blake: We're not leaving you behind!

Walter: I'll be right behind you! Go!  

As Team RWBY runs off with the Relic, Walter joins Alucard and begins cutting down the Grimm with his wires. As he does so, the Grimm let out an ear piercing scream which seems to drain his willpower. Alucard stood tall as he continued firing at the Grimm with his pistols. Suddenly, Maria appears.

Maria: Run! Now!

Left with no choice, Alucard and Walter began running for the exit. However, another group of Grimm block the path. Walter looked around and saw another passageway. It wasn't long before they caught up with Team RWBY. Suddenly, Walter was ambushed by the Grimm. Seeing Walter in danger, Ruby's eyes began to glow. With words from Maria, Ruby was able to focus her power on the Grimm, disintegrating them. With that, they eventually reached the house. Once they exited the house, Weiss grabs a few of the alcoholic bottles from the shelves and throws them towards the basement, shattering them. As they exited the house, Alucard then lights the alcohol by firing a shot from one of his pistols. As he does so, a fire was started which spread to the entire house. As the fire consumed the house, everyone took a moment to catch their breath.

Maria: The Apathy. They're not strong or ferocious. They drain your will to go on.

Weiss: I'm...sorry for what I said...about giving up.

Yang: Me too. We can't quit until the lamp is safe.

Blake: It's not your fault. It was those...things.

Walter took a few deep breaths. After doing so, he regained his composure. 

Maria: I should have known. The signs were all there, but I'd never seen an entire settlement withered away like that. I suppose my mind just isn't what it used to be.

Ruby: Miss Calavera? How do you know so much about the Grimm? And in the tunnels, you knew exactly what to say to make me... to make my eyes do that. How?

Walter: Because she has Silver Eyes like you, Miss Rose. 

In that moment, Maria's Silver Eyes became known. Soon, the connection between Walter and Maria would soon be revealed.