Chapter Forty Two - Family

In the months following the Fall of Beacon, Walter had joined Glynda Goodwitch in her efforts to restore Beacon. Eventually, Walter decides to move on from Beacon. After saying his goodbyes to Glynda and the rest of the Beacon staff, he joins Professor Oobleck and Professor Port in visiting Yang a visit. After a short trip, they arrived at the Rose-Xiao Long home in the middle of the night. As Taiyang Xiao Long invited them in, Walter helped Taiyang fix tea for everyone as Tai tells an embarrassing story about Qrow.

Taiyang: We told him it was a kilt! He'd never worn a uniform before, so he didn't know!

Oobleck: That is terrible! What is wrong with you!?

Taiyang: Hey! The girls all said he had nice legs! I did that jerk a favor! Besides, that's not even the best part! See, then we....

Port: "Like what you see?"

Walter then shares a laugh with his compatriots as Port loses his balance. He tries to save himself from falling, but ends up on the floor.

Walter: My word, Mr. Port. Lost our balance shall we?

There's even more laughter. Taiyang claps from mirth and Port joins in the hilarity from the floor. Yang giggles too, covering her mouth, but the four teachers become alerted to her presence. Oobleck stands while Port gets up off the floor.

Walter: Miss Xiao Long! How wonderful of you to join us! Would you like a cup of tea? I made it myself. 

Yang: No thanks, Mr. Dornez. 

Yang hoists herself backward up onto the kitchen counter, beside where her father stands. Port and Oobleck sit back down while Walter serves them tea. 

Yang: So, what are you doing here?

Oobleck: Despite popular belief, teachers do have a life outside the classroom.

Port: Professor Goodwitch is working 'round the clock to restore Beacon to its former glory! But, Mistral wasn't built in a day. And we all need rest from time to time.

Walter: Quite right, Miss Xiao Long. Headmaster Ozpin would be proud of the tireless effort Miss Goodwitch is putting to restore Beacon. 

Taiyang: Now look, let's not worry about that right now. So, there we were, standing in the auditorium, looking at Qrow, wearing a skirt. Then Oz tells everyone, "It's time to work on our landing strategy!"

Oobleck: The Branwen twins have always been... interesting, to say the least.

Port: That sure didn't seem to stop young Tai.

Taiyang: Hey, come on, man, she's right here.

Port: Oh, please! She's a mature young woman! If she can handle combat, she can handle a few jabs at her old man!

Taiyang: That's not the issue, Pete! And besides, she's still a teenager!

Yang: "She" is also in the room, and can be directly spoken to. And I think I've been through enough to be considered an adult at this point.

At this point, the room's tone changed as silence filled the room. Walter couldn't help but smile at Yang's spirit, but he could tell that the events from Beacon weighed heavily on her mind. 

Taiyang: Adult or not, you've still got a long way to go before you're ready for the real world.

Yang: Oh my gosh! Does every father figure have the same three condescending phrases?

Taiyang: Yeah! But we only use them when we mean it!

Port and Oobleck look at each other as father and daughter argue, a touch uncomfortable. Oobleck takes a sip from his mug while Port pulls at his collar. Walter simply remained silent.

Yang: Is that so?

Taiyang: As a matter of fact, it is so! If you honestly think that you're ready to go out there on your own, ha, well I guess you lost some brain cells along with that arm.

Yang gasps and pulls back from her father's face while a stunned Port leans forward and Oobleck's mouth drops open and his glasses slip down. 

Yang: You...jerk!

Yang playfully punches the man in the arm as both begin to chuckle. 

Oobleck: Are we finally talking about the Goliath in the room?

Port: Oh, Miss Xiao L— Yang, if you don't mind me asking, why haven't you tried on the arm yet?

Oobleck: Oh, yes, yes! A piece of Atlas technology given out like that is rare indeed! Not to mention the effort it took to deliver it here. It seems a great many people want to see you returned to normal.

Yang: I'm....scared. Everyone keeps talking about me getting back to normal. And I appreciate it, but... this is normal now. It's just taking me a while to get used to it.

Taiyang: Well, normal is what you make of it.

Yang: What is that supposed to mean? Do you want me to just pretend like nothing happened? I lost a part of me. A piece of me is gone. And it's never coming back.

Taiyang: You're right. It's not coming back. But that doesn't have to stop you from becoming who you wanna be. You're Yang Xiao Long, my sunny little dragon. You can do whatever you put your mind to. So whenever you're ready to stop moping, and get back out there, I'll be there for you.

Walter smiled as Taiyang showed his tendencies as a loving father. Walter remembered Taiyang being similar to Yang. 

Yang: I... I...

Port: Fear is like any other emotion. It comes and goes. It's all in how you handle it. Why, even I find myself wrestling with that emotion from time to time.

Yang: Really? You?

Oobleck: He's afraid of mice.

Port: They bring only disease and famine! And don't even get me started on their tails! So hairless, and simply unnatural!

Oobleck: Port, I assure you, you are safe. There's no mice here right now.

Walter: And I'm sure the mice won't hurt a hulking giant as yourself. Your mere presence alone would scare them. 

Yang chuckles as she heads back to her room, still tired from the events of he previous day.

Port: Thanks for having us over, Tai.

Taiyang: Any time. You're always welcome.

Oobleck: It may be a while before we return. There is still much work to be done at the school.

Port: I hesitate to ask, but is there any word from young Miss Rose. 

Taiyang: Not yet.

Oobleck: Have you thought about going after her? Trying to bring her home?

Taiyang: I've got to...look after some things.

Walter: Perhaps I could be of assistance. 

Taiyang: You're not heading back to Beacon?

Walter: No. I feel that my time at Beacon has come to an end. I've offered Beacon Academy the best years of my life. But now it's time for me to move on. And given Miss Xiao Long's....current condition, perhaps I could help her.

In that moment, Taiyang accepted Walter's offer to help Yang. Walter's time at Beacon Academy was over, but he knew that the mission to end Salem's threat was only beginning. As he offered his services to Tai and Yang, he would wait for the opportunity to continue his mission.