Chapter Fifty Six - Rest & Resolutions

In the house that they were staying in, Team RNJR were helping prepare dinner: Ruby Rose and Lie Ren are cooking at the stove, Jaune Arc is setting up the table, and Nora Valkyrie is cutting carrots, occasionally eating slices. When Qrow calls her, she is shocked to see that Yang and Weiss along with Walter were in the house. The three members of Team RWBY share a heartwarming reunion. At the same time, Alucard and Walter have a reunion of their own. 

Walter: It is so good to see you again, Alucard. 

Alucard: It has been too long, my old friend. 

Walter: Shall I cook some tea? 

As Walter says this, Oscar enters the room. It didn't take long for Walter to realize that Oscar was Ozpin's next reincarnation.

Walter: You must be Ozpin's next reincarnation. A pleasure to meet you, young man. I am Walter Dornez, you faithful butler and guardian. 

After the reunions, all have dinner together, sharing stories of what they have been up to since they last saw each other. Ever the proper gentleman, Walter serves everyone tea. 

Oscar: This tea is really good!

Walter: Why thank you, Master Pine. If I had to take pride in anything, it's my ability to make the most splendid tea!

After dinner, everyone relocates to the second-floor living room, with Weiss and Yang having finished being filled in on what everyone else knows so far.

Weiss: So, the Maidens. Magic. Salem. It's all true?

Qrow: Uh-huh. 

Ozpin: Miss Xiao Long, is this more or less what your mother told you?

Yang and Weiss didn't respond for a moment. Walter knew full well of where they were going to go in this conversation. 

Weiss: For the most part.

Yang: You forgot something. You forgot to tell everyone what you did to Qrow and my mother.

Ruby gasps.

Jaune: What is she talking about?

Qrow: Oh, great.

Ozpin: Hm, that's not a secret I thought she would give up so easily. Your mother must trust you a great deal.

Yang scowls at him. 

Ozpin: My ability to reincarnate, though a curse, isn't without a few key benefits. Much like the Maidens, I too possess a certain... "magical" power. Using this power, I was able to gift the Branwen twins the ability to "see" more, to move freely and be unburdened by their natural bodies. I... well... gave them the ability to turn into birds. Rather ridiculous sounding out loud, isn't it?

Oscar(Voice): Wait, what?

Ruby: Uncle?

Ren: You turned them... into birds.

Nora: Alright, now you're just messing with us.

Jaune: What else is new?

Weiss: He's telling the truth. We saw it. Yang's mom... changed, right in front of us.

Yang: Why would you do something like that? I mean, what is wrong with you?

Qrow: Yang, that's enough! We made a choice. We wanted this.

Alucard: Despite what the Bandit Queen would have you believe, the Branwen Twins made the choice themselves. Hhm. Raven Branwen. I should've killed that miserable thief when I had the chance. 

When Alucard said this, Yang was in shock of how Alucard openly talked about killing Raven. The entire room fell silent as Alucard's bloodlust was out in the open. 

Walter: You must understand that the situation at the time is....complicated. We are not proud of the decisions that were made, but we did what we could. 

Ruby: Okay, so, have you done this with others? Like General Ironwood? Or Professor Goodwitch?

Ozpin: As helpful as that might be, unfortunately, it is not that simple. My power is finite, and if I'm being honest, dwindling. The amount that I gifted to Qrow and Raven was, all things considered, rather miniscule. You see, centuries ago, I sacrificed a great deal of magic to four young women, who I hoped would use my gift for good. They were the first Maidens. Miss Xiao Long, it was never my intention to lie to you. To any of you. There are just some matters that I prefer to... "play close to the chest". I believe that's how you phrased it?

Qrow: Yeah.

Ozpin: Everyone has a choice. The Branwens chose to accept their powers and the responsibilities that came with them. And later, one of them chose to abandon her duties in favor of her own self-interest. Now, all of you have a choice. If anyone wishes to leave, now is the time. There's no shame or disgrace in abstaining, only in retreat.

Everyone is silent as they ponder Ozpin's words.

Ozpin: Very well, then.

Yang suddenly stands up.

Ruby: Yang?

Yang: If Ruby sticks around, then I will too. If there's one thing I know about her, it's that she somehow always knows the right thing to do. But, if we're going to help, if we're going to keep risking our lives, no more lies. No more half-truths.

Everyone remains silent. Ozpin and Qrow exchange a brief look with each other. Ozpin ponders Yang's words for one last moment, before responding. Alucard simply chuckled. 

Yang: Is something funny, Alucard? 

Alucard: Oh nothing, Miss Xiao Long. It's just....you have your mother's fire. I'm trying to decide whether that is to our benefit or our detriment. 

When Alucard said that, Yang clenched her fists in anger. 

Walter: Since were are...coming clean. Shall we tell them of Millennium? 

Ozpin: Of course. During the Second Great War, a group of Nazi military officials attempted to create an army of Vampires. They strove towards their goal in a swelling sea of blood and madness. 

Alucard: But Walter and I were able to wipe out the scum before they could carry out their mad dreams of an Eternal Nazi Reich of Remnant. 

Walter: However, we seemed to miss quite of few of them. When the Nazi's fell, an extraction operation began just as allied forces took the country. Understandably, they needed enough time to evacuate while still standing their ground long enough to not be considered traitors. The majority of these Nazi officials scattered across Remnant where they found refuge with a number of Nazi sympathizers. Those survivors were Millennium. The last remnants of the Nazi Reich. The Last Battalion. 

As Alucard and Walter revealed the existence of Millennium, the entire room was shocked as they know had two enemies to face. Despite this, none of them backed down. 

Ozpin: The road ahead is undoubtedly filled with hardships and peril. However, it's been far too long since you have all been together. Please, take tonight, enjoy this moment.

In that moment, everyone found the resolve to keep going. They would take the night to enjoy each other's companies. But that bliss would be short lived as the forces of evil had begun setting in motion their plan to attack Haven.