Chapter One Hundred Nine - A Greater Danger

As Walter along with Yang's group continued their search for Oscar, they eventually found refuge in an abandoned outpost. But as they rested, they saw Ruby's broadcast on their Scrolls. They were shocked when Ruby's broadcast was hijacked by the Major's declaration of war. 

Yang: What happened?!

Suddenly, a loud noise was heard. Everyone ran outside to investigate the noise. As they head outside the farm, they saw that the ground had broken open with black liquid pouring out. Soon enough, a Sabyr's head peaks from the surface. It wasn't long before the liquid began to move towards Mantle.

Yang: It's Grimm. A river of Grimm....heading straight for the kingdom.

As Yang said that, the fleet of zeppelins began moving towards Atlas and Mantle. Once the zeppelins reached Mantle, they began firebombing the city. In light of this new threat, Jaune attempts to create a comms broadcast warning Mantle about the black liquid as well as Millennium. After sending the broadcast, they prepare to continued their search for Oscar. But just as they were about to head out, an Atlas airship lands near the outpost with Winter and the Ace-Ops exiting.

Jaune: Did you hear our message? It's right there. We need to hurry.

Harriet: Where's Penny?

Jaune: Are you serious right now!? There are people in danger.

Harriet: There are people in danger because you kids are acting selfish and....

Yang: LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING IN MANTLE! Mantle is under attack! People are dying! 

Suddenly, the ground began to shake once more Everyone looks to see the Grimm river forms a geyser that shoots up high enough to hit the City of Atlas and manages to force it's way past Atlas's hard light shields. The liquid then spawns Centinels which burrow into the earth of the floating city to avoid the military ships' lasers and dislodge two of the shield pylons. With these two pylons gone, the entire shield disappears. The Mostra then lands into the city, spewing black liquid which spawns more Grimm. At the same time, a group of zeppelins began converging on Atlas, bombing Atlas like Mantle. 

Winter: You're coming with us.

As the Ace-Ops moved to take Walter and the others into custody, Walter readies his wires. 

Harriet: You really want to do this, old man?

Walter: Young lady, look around you. Atlas is in flames. We warned Ironwood of Millennium's invasion. Yet he did nothing about it. Now the enemy is at his doorsteps and they are out for blood. They will not stop until all of Remnant burns!

As a fight was about to break out between Walter and the Ace-Ops, Jaune steps in between them and points out the Monstra.

Jaune: That's where the Grimm took Oscar. It's even bigger than I thought.

Vine: Grimm don't take prisoners.

Walter: This one did. We saw it with our own eyes.

The confrontation was soon interrupted when Ironwood contacts Winter and informs her of his plan to destroy the Monstra by using a powerful bomb.

Yang: You can't blow it up with Oscar still in there!

Vine: That creature causes more damage every minute. We cannot wait.

Walter: Then let us go into the Monstra and save Master Pine. 

Marrow: You want to go inside that thing alone?

Yang: Wouldn't you do it for Elm? Harriet? Vine?

Elm: We don't let feelings get in the way of making the right call. Trading three lives for one is stupid.

Ren: No, it's not. He's our friend. We will do whatever it takes to find him, because we care about him.

As Ren said this, Harriet scoffed.

Harriet: I really had you pegged as the most level-headed of the bunch, but I guess you're just as naïve. Feelings don't matter, the job matters. When you lose someone on your team, you move on. Replace them, like Marrow replaced Tortuga and Winter replaced...

Walter: Spout off all that nonsense as much as you like. We all know that deep down, you don't believe a word of it. 

Harriet: You don't know a damn thing about me!

Walter: You cannot deny your true self forever, Harriet. The greatest enemy one can face is themselves.

Harriet's anger began to boil. As she was about to attack Walter, Winter stepped in.

Winter: Enough. We will drop you as close as we can to the monster.

Harriet: You can't be serious. They're fugitives and traitors!

Winter: I outrank you, soldier. If you don't like that, then consider yourself court martialed.

As Winter brings the Ace-Ops in line, she turns Jack and the others.

Winter: If you aren't out in time, we drop the payload. No matter what.

With that, Walter and the others joined Winter on the airship as she planned to take them as close to the Monstra as possible. But as Walter was about to board the airship, he looks to see a lone figure approaching them. It wasn't long before the others noticed. 

Yang: Who the hell is that? 

Walter initially said nothing as he looks at the lone figure approaching him. 

Walter: Miss Xiao Long, please take Mr. Arc and Mister Ren and go on ahead. 

Jaune: What?! What are you doing?!

Walter: Go. Save Master Pine. Do not try and find me. This enemy....is far beyond you. I will try and buy you all time. The way I am now, I don't know how long I'll be capable of holding out against that man. If that's who I think it is, then we don't have much time. 

Yang: But Walter....

Walter: This isn't up for discussion, Miss Xiao Long. Go. Save Master Pine at all costs. When you see them again, give Master Pine and Alucard my regards. 

With that, Walter began walking away from the airship to confront the man approaching them. Yang and the others could only watch as Walter stayed behind to face the man. Meanwhile, Walter wasted no time in attacking the man with his wires. But as the wires moved to attack, the man grabbed the wires with his bare hands, revealing himself to be the Captain. 

Walter: Of course....I knew it was you!

Suddenly, the Deus Ex Machina flies over Walter and the Captain. The Major's voice is soon heard. 

Major(Intercom): You are correct, my boy! So, butler, it's been what? 55 years? It's nice to know that after all this time, you still managed to find a way to interrupt me during my show! 

In that moment, Walter found himself facing off against the full might of Millennium. But appearances can be deceiving.