Chapter Fifty One - Onward And Forward

After leaving the Pine Farm, Oscar sets out on the journey Ozpin spoke of. With Alucard by his side, Oscar was unsure of what could happen. He looks toward the window. His fingers tense for a moment. Oscar takes a deep breath and walks the dirt road leading away from the far. He stops and looks over his shoulder, then faces forward, adjusts the backpack and resumes walking.

Ozpin(Voice): I'm sorry. 

Oscar: You know... the weirdest part is how it feels. Leaving home is crazy. Going to the city is crazy. Everything you've told me is completely crazy. But it doesn't feel crazy anymore. It feels like I'm doing the right thing.

Ozpin(Voice): Well... I suppose that's good.

Oscar: No. It's scary.

Alucard: Humans are capable of strange things when fear is thrown into the mix. 

Oscar bows his head as he speaks, then lifts his head up and looks nervously at the sky as thunder crackles in the distance. He quickens his pace down the road. Soon enough, they reach a train station. It has begun storming, and Oscar hurries to the covered platform, holding his hands over his head. When he gets there, he walks up to a large machine with a screen on it, which reads: "Welcome! Scan Lien to begin." Oscar rests a Lien card against a scanner. The screen displays an error message that reads: "ERROR Unable to complete request. REASON GIVEN: Insufficient Funds (Code: 726)" Oscar groans in frustration.

Oscar: Stupid thing. I'm assuming whatever weird magic this is doesn't come with an infinite supply of money?

Ozpin(Voice): I'm afraid you'll have to solve this one on your own.

Oscar suddenly becomes more alert. The same feeling was felt on Alucard. 

Oscar: Huh?

Ozpin(Voice): Be on your guard.

Oscar: What do you mean?

Alucard places his hands on the holsters where his Jackal and Casull pistols were stored. Soon enough, Hazel approaches the machine. 

Hazel: Here. 

Oscar turns his attention to Hazel, who continues to approach him. Hazel stops near the machine and raises up his fist. In response, Oscar flinches away and widens his eyes, uttering a small noise. Alucard turns his attention to Hazel, ready to pull out his pistols and kill Hazel. Hazel then slams his fist down on the machine, which beeps and makes the sound of dispensing paper, while Oscar straightens up and stares. As Hazel moves his fist, the machine spits out a small ticket. While Hazel walks away, Oscar picks the ticket up and then looks at him. Hazel then stops and looks back at him.

Hazel: Don't let such a small obstacle block your path.

As Hazel says this, he turns his attention to Alucard. There was a moment of silence as the two men stared at one another. Oscar became uneasy as his body tensed up. Alucard said nothing as he approached Hazel. After a moment, Alucard smiles. 

Alucard: Good day, sir. 

Alucard tips his hat and walks towards Oscar. Hazel says nothing as he turns around and resumes walking. 

Oscar: That man. I felt... Who is he?

A train horn is heard in the distance.

Ozpin(Voice): Someone from my past. Someone who should not be taken lightly.

Soon enough, the train arrives. Its engine has glowing cyan markings, each in the form of two parallel lines with a series of evenly-spaced diagonal lines connecting them.

Alucard: Shall we, my master?

As they boarded the train, the train sets out for it's destination. During the train ride, Oscar took a moment to reflect on all that has happened. He turns his attention to Alucard, remembering the incident that had just occurred. 

Oscar: You knew that man too, didn't you?

Alucard: I did. 

Oscar: It....it looked like you were going to kill him. 

Alucard: Had he posed a threat to you, I would've killed him on the spot. My loyalty to you means that I must protect you at all costs. 

Oscar said nothing as he finds himself unsure of how to process this.

Ozpin(Voice): I know it seems strange, Oscar. But I can assure you that you're in good hands. No matter what, Alucard will serve you and protect you.

Oscar: That's a lot of responsibility to throw on someone. Up until now, I didn't believe Vampires existed. 

Ozpin(Voice): Very few people know of Alucard's true nature. Not even those in my inner circle know of it. 

Oscar: Why the secrecy? 

Ozpin(Voice): Because....Alucard is a necessary evil. An evil I do no want exposed. At least....not until the time is right. 

As Ozpin said this, Oscar glances over to Alucard. He still couldn't believe that Alucard was a real Vampire. Not only that, but he had a Vampire who is sworn to him. It was nearly overwhelming. Alucard smirked.

Alucard: You are a man of great conviction Abraham. It was that very same conviction that allowed you to defeat me all those years ago. You had every right to destroy me. I was at your mercy, and yet you spared my life in exchange for servitude. You have been an honorable master Abraham. I will continue to serve not only you, but the countless lives that shall come after you. I will serve them faithfully as I serve you. I will be your instrument. I will be your secret weapon against the great evils of the world whether they be Salem or otherwise.

Oscar was confused as to what Alucard meant, but Ozpin knew what Alucard meant. After a long train ride, Oscar and Alucard finally reach the city of Mistral. At a bar in the city, Qrow is seen sitting at a bar sometime later, fully healed from his wound. Oscar approaches him from behind.

Oscar: Excuse me?

Qrow turns around to face Oscar.

Qrow: You know, I don't think they allow kids in here, pipsqueak.

Oscar looks to his left arm as it begins to move.

Oscar: Shut up, I'm getting there.

Qrow gives him a questioning look.

Oscar: Um, I'm supposed to tell you, I'd like my cane back?

Qrow's eyes widen for a moment in surprise. Alucard is soon seen approaching Qrow. 

Qrow: It's good to see you again, Oz.

Qrow withdraws Ozpin's Cane in its compact mode and tosses it to Oscar, who presses a button on the hilt, extending the baton. Oscar grasps the baton with the other hand, surprised, before looking at Qrow with a determined face.