Chapter One Hundred Twenty Five - Rude, Red & Royal

On the path to the Crimson Castle, a toy soldier, who is drumming, leads Hansel and Team RWBY who are followed by three more toy soldiers. Hansel was quick to survey his surroundings.

Yang: Uh, are we sure we should do this?

Ruby: Well, the Red King helped Alyx.

Weiss: We aren't Alyx.

Hansel: Let's hope the Red King is in a generous mood.

Yang: And if he's not?

Hansel: Then I imagine heads are going to roll.

Team RWBY was taken aback by Hansel's words. Eventually, the group is led to the Crimson Castle. A soldier does a drumroll, and the soldiers along the path play an extravagant fanfare. Pair by pair, they step aside, making way for a rather short-statured, crowned figure dressed in royal garments who walks down to Team RWBY. They pose dramatically as the fanfare comes to an end. Hansel and Team RWBY look on flabbergasted.

Ruby: You're the Red King?

Hansel: Aren't you a little small to be royalty?

Red Prince: How dare you! There is no King! I'm the Red Prince. Hmph! Why, I never! Coming to someone's castle without even knowing who they are, and on my birthday!

Yang: Poor choice of words....

Hansel: Oh um....sorry. Where are my manners? Happy um...birthday, your majesty.

As Hansel said this, Ruby wishes the Red Prince a happy birthday. The rest of Team RWBY along with Little wish the Red Prince a happy birthday as well.

Red Prince: How do you know such privileged information?! You must be infiltrators! Here to steal my crown!

Hansel: You must be mistaken. We aren't....

Red Prince: SILENCE!!! You are in the presence of royalty! That's me, thank you very much. The heir to the Crimson Castle!

A snot bubble appears from his nose, the guard he's standing on pops it for him.

Weiss: Ew. Did I used to be this unbearably pompous?

They are shoved out of the way by the soldier escorting them. The soldiers then present to him Penny's sword. The Red Prince jumps off the guard and eagerly unwraps his gift, revealing Penny's sword. The prince's expression turns to disappointment.

Red Prince: Uh green...? Why. Is. It. GREEN?!

The Prince angrily kicks the sword over a red hedge nearby. Ruby gasps and tries to go after it, but is stopped by a guard.

Ruby: How could you...?

The Red Prince then orders the soldiers who presented the sword to be taken away. Their cries are heard on deaf ears, and they are dragged behind a red hedge where they are executed. It was at this point that Ruby stepped forward.

Ruby: No, wait! Maybe we can help cheer you up!

Red Prince: Hm. Beheading people does cheer me up... But, go on...

Ruby: We heard you like to play games.....

The Prince turns around, likewise smiling. He then leads them to a room with the appearance of a game table.

Red Prince: So, what exactly do you desire from me in exchange for playing my game? There's always a catch.

Ruby: Your Majesty, you are as wise as you are....uh....

Little whispers into Ruby's ear something.

Ruby: .....Small!

Ruby cringes upon hearing what she says, and the rest of Team RWBY groans at their leader's choice of words.

Red Prince: Thank you!

Hansel: We are insignificant compared to your.....imposing stature. We are honored to stand in the presence of such revered royalty. Please forgive our....ignorance.

Hansel bows his head as a sign of respect to the Red Prince. The Red King relishes at the false praise tossed his way by the Hansel even as Hansel himself cringed at this.

Ruby: If we win, our only request is that you help us get to....the tree.

Red Prince: The tree? It's so.....far away.

Hansel: Only someone of such unmatched wisdom could guide us to the tree. Someone like you.

Red Prince: Hmm....If you win, I will help you with what you ask.

Ruby: So uh...how do we play?

Suddenly, the prince and the guards burst out laughing hearing her question.

Red Prince: Rule one!

The guards hup and stand at attention again. The pawns on the game board suddenly come to life.

Red Prince: Each player may move every pawn one space each turn. Rule two!

Little yelps. The guards hup again, causing one of the pawns to fall over.

Red Prince: Whoever gets the most pawns to the other side of the board wins. Rule three!

The guards hup one more time.

Red Prince: To take over a space, you must dispose of whoever occupies it....

Ruby: Dispose of?

The Prince snaps his fingers, and the red pawns on his side of the game board draw their weapons and organize themselves into formation. The white pawns on Ruby's side of the board all groan, already looking roughed up.

Hansel: We're missing some pawns. How are we supposed to play when the odds are stacked against us?

Red Prince: Hmm.... How perfect that you brought along friends to play then....

As the Red Prince says this, Hansel kept his eyes on the Red Prince, watching in silence. Ruby gasps in realization. The Prince snaps his fingers, and suddenly, red dust surrounds and shrinks Hansel, Weiss, Blake and Yang, transporting them onto the game board. They are now the same size as the other pawns. Ruby was the only one who remained.

Ruby: Hey! What are you doing?! Hansel?! Weiss?! Yang?! Blake?!

Meanwhile in the game board, Hansel, Weiss, Blake and Yang take a moment to process this.

Hansel: Did...did the room get bigger?

Yang: We're okay!

Blake: Ruby! The most important thing is winning this game!

Hansel: We'll do what we can from....down here!

The lights around the room suddenly go out, a single spotlight shines only on the game table at the center of the room. The game has begun.