D A T E

Mattheo Riddle

After Aurora slammed the bathroom door in my face I hesitantly went downstairs.

"Come home, tomorrow midnight or Aurora dies." My fathers words ringed in my ears.

I have to go 'home' tonight or Aurora dies, Anne would probably be next, then Zander, I don't really care about anyone else so he'd probably just kill me.

I got to the kitchen and saw Anne standing by the stove making something.

She turned around with a big smile, "I made pancakes!"

I raised my eyebrows at her excitement for pancakes.

"I can make you something else if you don't like pancakes." Anne panicked, I shook my head.

"Pancakes are fine." I said, I looked around the kitchen for Zander but he wasn't here.

I sat down at the kitchen island and drummed my fingers on the expensive countertop.

A few seconds passed and Anne put a plate down in front of me with a stack of pancakes.

"Thanks." I muttered.

"Do you need a drink?" Anne asked turning to the fridge, "there's orange juice, milk, tea." She listed off a bunch of different options for drinks.

"I'm good." I said, I want Aurora. I'm so awkward around Anne in general but even more awkward without Aurora around.

I started eating in silence- awkward silence..

I'm scared to go back.

I don't want to be there again.

I don't want to be that person again, the things that he made me do. He's gonna make me do them again and I can't.

I'm doing this for Aurora and Anne.

I can't let anyone else get hurt because of me.

I don't know if he'll ever let me see them again be knowing they are safe will have to be enough for me.

I don't know how to say goodbye or if I say goodbye. I don't know If I'll be back, I don't want to have to do some dramatic goodbye if I'll be back the next day.

"I'm really proud you Mattheo." I lifted my head, my eyes connecting with Anne's.

Her shaky hand grabbed mine, "you've done everything in your power to get away from your father, it shows how much you don't want to be like him and.. I'm just so proud of you." Her eyes were filled with tears, "I failed you, it was my job as your mother to protect you and I didn't. I can't apologize enough for letting him take you. All I can say is.. you're an amazing young man." She smiled shyly, squeezing my hand before pulling away and wiping her tears.

I stared up at her, my heart ached in my chest.

I inhaled a deep breath. I'm scared of being vulnerable but if I don't get this off my chest I fear it will eat me alive.

"I'm scared this is gonna be my life." I said hesitantly, Anne listened.

"That he'll always be in control until the day he decides to kill me." I said feeling my throat tighten.