too late (requested)

Yeji sat down on the sofa with tears stinging her eyes.

She could still hear that dreadful sound of the slamming door as you stormed out after the fight you shared.

It was just a couple of moments ago that you drove away, unsure if you'd ever turn back around due to the frustration and sadness you felt.

It's easily the worst fight you've shared during the course of your year-long relationship.

She keeps forgetting dates, you keep blaming her busy schedule and telling her just how terrible and alone you feel in this relationship.

Things got out of hand as you argued with each other for several minutes and the next thing she knew, you were sobbing uncontrollably and grabbing your phone and keys before storming out of the house.

She knew that she was wrong for the things she said and, knowing you like the back of her hand, she knew you must feel the same.

Wiping the tears from her eyes, she opened the curtains and watched out the window.

She thought you'd pull into the driveway and you'd run into her arms. You'd apologize to each other repeatedly and share a sweet kiss to make sure you both knew everything was forgiven.

But that never happened.

Time passed by, dragging on and on, and you didn't return.

Just when she was beginning to panic so much she considered calling you, her phone rang.

"Y/N!" She sighed in relief. "Oh, thank gosh. I'm so happy that you called. I was worried sick about you!" She hurriedly said, not even bothering to check who it was that called.

The voice she heard in response was not yours and it made her heart sink.

"Is this Yeji?"

"Yeah," Yeji said as she scooted towards the edge of the sofa, brushing her fingers through her hair. "Who is this?"

"I work at the hospital your girlfriend was just admitted to."

Yeji's heart dropped deep into her chest.

"What?"

"She was in an accident and a pretty terrible one. We're not sure if she's going to make it."

The tears returned and an intense feeling of guilt began to overwhelm her just as much.

She quickly got the details before rushing out to the car and driving to the hospital.

Once arriving, she parked the car and then ran through the sliding doors.

Rushing to the desk, she was so frantic that she nearly scared the life out of the nurses there.

"Someone called me about my girlfriend y/n. They said she was in an accident. Is she okay!?"

The nurses exchanged a sad look before telling her to take a seat and that the doctor would be out soon.

She wanted to scream at the top of her lungs at them because she wanted to know right then and there if you were okay.

But she took a seat, walking to the nearest one before collapsing in it. She bounced her knee anxiously and tried to keep herself together as she waited for the doctor to come out.

Soon, she did, and the look on her face told Yeji that something wasn't right.

"Hi, Yeji." The doctor said before sighing sadly.

"Hey. So, where's y/n? How's she doing? Is she going to recover soon? Can I see her?"

The doctor stared at her for a few seconds before shaking her head.

"I am so sorry but your girlfriend passed away a few minutes ago."

Yeji's heart was in her throat.

"We did everything we could but she was too badly injured and didn't make it. No matter how hard we tried, and let me tell you, honey, we tried so hard, she just couldn't pull through."

"N-No." Yeji shook her head. "This can't be real."

"I'm so sorry. I know this is hard to handle. Can I call someone for you?"

Yeji felt thankful she was sitting down because if she had been standing, she would've been on the floor.

"We had a fight before she left. I thought she'd come home. I wanted her to know how sorry I was." Yeji sobbed.

The doctor laid her hand on Yeji's shoulder as she fell apart, sobbing harder than she ever has before.

"This can't be happening. She has to be okay. I need her!"

It was the most pain she'd ever felt. Her heart ached and she felt sick to her stomach as the guilt overwhelmed her so terribly.

She didn't know how she'd ever go on or how she'd ever forgive herself for this night.

She thought it was just some stupid fight and you'd come home and make up in no time.

Never could she ever have imagined this.

She didn't know what to do or how she'd make it through this pain she feels.

She wished she could take it all back. She wished she could turn back time and stop you from leaving her side.

But she couldn't. She'd been too late.

And she wasn't sure how she'd ever cope without you by her side or live with the pain she feels about never being able to tell you how sorry she was and how much she loves you.