champagne problems (requested)

Stepping inside your' and Yeji's shared home, you were surprised to find that you weren't alone.

You saw Yeji's family gathered around the room.

They looked bright-eyed and hopeful as they gazed at you.

"Hey." You smiled at Yeji as she got up from the sofa and made her way to you. "What's going on here? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. More than okay." She said with a smile. "Everything's perfect. With you."

You chuckled and took her hand as she reached out for it.

"You're perfect."

"You are." You smiled at her. "But seriously, what's going on? I'm not complaining, of course. But why is everyone here?"

"Because there's something I've been wanting to do and I asked them to be here for it. I couldn't keep it in, so I had to tell them."

"Tell them what?"

Yeji took a deep breath as she reached into her pocket and you watched as she pulled out something shiny and bright.

"Yeji,"

"I love you, Y/N. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to marry you and grow old with you. Do you want that too? Will you marry me?"

You looked around at everyone.

They were all there to witness the special moment and her mom was even recording it.

But it wasn't going to go the way they expected it to.

"No."

Her family gasped, everyone in the room taken aback by your answer.

"No, Yeji, I can't."

"W-Why?"

"I'm not ready for that. I don't want that right now."

She swallowed thickly as a lump appeared in her throat.

"I have no other reason than that."

"But... you're the only one I want to spend my life with. I love you. Don't you love me?"

"Of course, I do."

"Then why won't you marry me?"

You blinked away the tears in your eyes, only for them to reappear as you watched her get down on her knees.

"I only want to marry you, Y/N. Why don't you want to marry me?"

"I'm sorry."

She stood back up and she put the ring back into her pocket.

It was quiet.

It felt awkward and tense.

No one was applauding.

No one was surrounding you with congratulations and loving words.

It was just silent.

Yeji stormed out of the house while you stormed off to the bedroom, leaving her family to splash out on the bottle of champagne they'd brought over to celebrate.

A few minutes passed by before your phone started to ring and you saw that it was Yeji.

"Where are you?" You asked. "You just... stormed away."

"What do you expect? The love of my life rejected my proposal. I don't exactly know what to do or say anymore."

You didn't see but she was playing with the ring that had been in her pocket.

"I'm on the train. I needed some space. But the further away I get from you, the more I can't help but wonder why."

"I told you. I'm not ready."

"Will you ever be ready?"

It was quiet for a moment before you answered.

"I don't think so."

Yeji sighed in sadness.

"I can't stay with you if we're going nowhere, if you'll never be ready. Because I am. I know what I want. You."

"Yeji, you deserve better if that's how you feel. You shouldn't be held back because of me."

"But," She paused as she sniffled. "I had this whole speech planned for after we got engaged. I had everything set up for a great night for us. For a great life."

"I know, Yeji. But you'll find that with someone else. They won't break your heart like I did."

"I wish you would've told me. I would've never proposed."

"Sometimes... you just don't know until someone's on their knees, asking you."

She was quiet, a little sob the only thing that left her lips.

"I guess I'll find somewhere else and get my stuff."

It was painful.

But it was necessary.

Because you weren't ready.

You were far from it.

And Yeji didn't deserve to spend years wondering if and when you'd be ready.

It just wasn't meant to be between the two of you.

"Okay."

"I love you." She cried.

You closed your eyes, a tear falling down your cheek.

You wanted to say it back... but you couldn't.

You ended the call and peeked out of the bedroom, overhearing the conversation between her parents.

"I loved that girl too." Her mom sighed. "You know something? She would've made such a lovely bride... what a shame she's fucked in the head."

You closed the door with a broken heart and a heavy sigh.

You knew that it was over, that you'd be watching Yeji go.

The bridges had been burned, the end had come.

It just wasn't meant to be.

And as hard as that was to accept, Yeji deserved better.

And you knew she'd find it.

She'll find the real thing with someone else, someone that loves her and wants the same things she does.

It's what she deserved.