Please, Remember (Cana x Lucy)

This was requested on AO3 by butterflyzilla.

I love fics where two characters are childhood friends but one doesn't remember the other and the second character tries to make them remember. It's always interesting and there are a lot of directions it can go and you go do nearly anything you want with it.

I'm also making Jude a bit of an asshole because the plot of the oneshot I want to write demands it.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two twelve-year-old girls ran through a large garden. They giggled along as they pointed out the beautiful flowers and the birds that flew through the sky. The two girls came to a stop below a tree, sitting down to catch their breath. They had been best friends since they were infants because their mothers were close friends. However, because of the loss of their respective mothers, the two girls were no longer allowed to see each other.

The brunette, a young card mage named Cana, sighed and remarked in a tone mixed with sadness and anger, "your dad is such a jerk!"

The blonde, a beginner mage named Lucy, nodded as she responded with sadness, "he never liked me hanging out with you. He doesn't really like people that aren't as rich as him."

Cana answered by exclaiming, "that's stupid! Just because I'm not stinkin' wealthy doesn't mean we can't be best friends!"

Lucy giggled. She agreed with her friend and she too was sad and angry, but she couldn't deny that her best friend was cute when she was angry. She laid her hand on Cana's shoulder, making the brunette look at her. They smiled at each other, soaking up the comfortable silence that was between them as their cheeks became lightly dusted with a light pink color.

Neither girl wanted to leave the other. They wanted to stay together for the rest of their lives. Each time they were together they felt as though they were flying. Every time one girl's hand would brush against the hand of the other girl, they would both experience a weird and unknown but not unwelcomed feeling in their guts and their cheeks would become warm. They loved being together and enjoyed doing anything together. They enjoyed playing together, talking for hours, and simply sitting next to each other in silence. They didn't want any of this to end.

Lucy broke the silence by asking, "can you do a card reading? I want to know if we'll see each other again!"

Cana nodded with a grin that mirrored Lucy's as she pulled out her cards. The two girls shifted so that they sat in front of each other with their legs crisscrossed and a space between them that was large enough for Cana to lay her cards down for a bit of fortune-telling. Lucy watched in awe as her best friend focused on the cards in front of her. The little blonde always enjoyed watching the other girl give her or someone else a fortune-telling session. It was always fun to watch.

Cana turned over a card and smiled at it. Lucy leaned over to look at the card, but due to not knowing how to read the cards, it was just a card with an intricate pattern to her. She moved her gaze to Cana and realized just how close she was to her brunette friend when she noticed the pink color on her cheeks. The blonde quickly leaned away to sit back where she had been before she went to look at the card. She looked down at the cards that were on the grassy ground nervously.

Cana took a few moments for her quickened heart rate to return to its normal pace and the warmth on her cheeks to fade away. She then looked up at Lucy and turned the card over to show her best friend the picture on it. She explained, knowing that the blonde didn't know what it meant, "my cards tell me that we will see each other again! I can't tell when exactly, but we will!"