Protective Spirits (Laxus x Lucy ft. Lucy's Spirits)

This was requested on AO3 by LadyTrSharon.

Okay, I've always loved the idea of Lucy's spirits being pretty protective of her (some *cough* Loke *cough* more than others) and taking a bit of time to warm up to her partner. So, I was very delighted to get this request.

Unfortunately, though, I'm not going to be able to add all of her spirits in this, so I'm going to try to stick to her Zodiac spirits.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If there was one thing that Laxus was nervous about when he and Lucy started dating, it was her spirits. Why was he nervous, you may ask? Well, something that is now pretty common knowledge, is the fact that Lucy's celestial spirits are protective of their keyholder. Why was Laxus nervous about this fact? Because he didn't want to make his girlfriend's spirits angry too much, or Heaven forbid, hurt them. If he did, then that would either make Lucy angry or hurt her due to how much she loved her spirits.

Laxus remembered the first time he tried to ask the blonde celestial wizard on a date. The Thunder Legion had just spent an hour or two building up his courage when he finally stood up and made his way down to the first floor of the guildhall. He approached Lucy from behind, trying to ignore the butterflies in his gut, his sweating palms, and his rapidly beating heart.

He was just a few feet from the young woman when he was suddenly grabbed by the arm and yanked into a cleaning closet that was beside the bar. He hissed curses under his breath when his back hit the wall and looked down at whoever had stopped him from finally making a move on the woman he was crushing on.

He found an angry-looking Loke glaring up at him. Surprised to see the spirit, Laxus questioned, "what the hell?"

Loke crossed his arms over his chest and demanded, "what were you doing?"

The dragon slayer stared down at him, confused about what he was being asked and why. It didn't take long for his brain to make the connection and he countered, "why do you want to know?" Seriously, why was Loke so concerned about him asking Lucy on a date?

Loke responded, "because I am Lucy's spirit, which means it's my job to protect her."

Laxus gapped down at him. Did this lion cub really think that he was going to hurt Lucy? He wasted no time in voicing this, "I wasn't going do anything to hurt her!"

Loke scoffed, "I know."

"You...what?"

"I know. You were going to ask her on a date, weren't you?"

Laxus tsked and tried to step around Loke, but was roughly pushed back against the wall by the surprisingly strong, and shorter, man. Loke then growled at him, "how can we know that you'll be a good boyfriend for her?"

Laxus questioned through clenched teeth, his hands fisted at his sides, "you think I'll hurt her or something? Get a grip!"

Loke warned, "look, Lucy's other spirits and I don't really like the idea of Lucy dating some guy who hurt her before. It'd be in your best interest if you stayed away from her." He then stepped away from the dragon slayer and exited the cleaning closet.

Laxus watched as Loke made his way to Lucy and joined her and her friends, also sending a glare in his direction. Laxus glared back at him and huffed as he made his way back up to his three closest friends, not wanting to get into a fight with Loke and make a big scene or ruin Lucy's favorable view of him.

That was when Laxus got his first taste of Lucy's spirits' protectiveness. It was only a few months after his interaction with Loke that he was on the receiving end of this protectiveness for a second time.