Cuddles and Protective Teammates Part 2 (Cana x Lucy)

This was requested on Wattpad by Bellaboo097023.

Here's the date of a cherry blossom picnic, nighttime walk, proposal, and still-protective teammates.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cana sighed as she stared down at her setup. She and Lucy had slept in late on the morning of their one-year anniversary. It wasn't planned, but she was able to adapt pretty easily. When she and her girlfriend finally pulled themselves out of bed, she told Lucy to take a nice, long bubble bath and then come to the cherry blossom tree that was in full bloom once she was done and dressed.

Cana had managed to put together a nice picnic. Laid out on the green grass below the cherry blossom tree was a red picnic blanket. On top of the blanket was a large, wicker basket that held plates, glasses, food, and wine. She smiled at the setup, a feeling of pride filling her gut. She couldn't wait for Lucy to see this.

She knelt beside the basket and flipped open the lid. She reached in and pulled out a small, velvety, dark blue box. She opened it to make sure that the precious piece of jewelry was still inside of it. She smiled down at the ring, seeing that the silver band with a star-shaped, white diamond set into it. She then closed the box and nestled it back into the basket, out of sight.

The sound of footsteps made her aware of her girlfriend's arrival. Cana looked back and smile upon seeing Lucy stare at the picnic with wide eyes, her mouth open in a silent gasp. She was dressed casually, with a baby blue tub top and a simple pair of black jeans. Cana stood up and walked over to her girlfriend. She pressed a soft kiss to her lips and gently pulled her to the blanket, singing, "it's our one-year anniversary."

She and Lucy sat down on either side of the basket, and she watched with a slightly smug smile as a beautiful pink blush dusted across Lucy's cheeks. Cherry blossom petals fluttered to the ground around them as Cana opened the lid of the basket and reached inside. She resisted the urge to admire how beautiful her girlfriend looked in the warm afternoon sunlight, a few cherry blossom petals on her blonde hair.

Cana pulled out a large bowl of fresh strawberries and sat it on the blanket. She preceded to pull from the basket a plate of many small sandwiches, a bottle of red wine, two small plates, two wine glasses, a large bowl of chocolate chip cookies, and a small strawberry cake with vanilla icing.

She moved the basket to the side and spread out the food a bit more before she straightened and looked at Lucy. Laughter erupted from her upon seeing that her girlfriend was gazing down at the food hungrily. "Dig in, Lu."

Lucy didn't need any more prompting and picked up a plate, piling upon it the food that Cana had prepared. Cana watched with an amused smile, bursting into laughter again when Lucy mumbled a "thank you" around a small sandwich that she had shoved into her mouth.

Cana reached for the wine bottle and popped it open and handed the now-half-filled wine glass to Lucy. The blonde accepted it and drank the alcoholic drink.

A small rustle from a bush behind them caused Cana to move her eyes from her girlfriend to the forestry that they were sitting several feet in front of. The card mage jumped and stare in angry disbelief as Natsu, Gray, Erza, and Happy hid behind a few bushes, peering over the top of the leaves and sticks.

Cana glared and gestured with her hand for them to scram, but that was answered by a head shake of defiance from all four of them. She gave a frustrated sigh and turned back to Lucy. Hopefully, the blonde won't catch sight of her team.

The couple quickly began eating the food that was laid out in front of them. They talked about an assortment of topics. From new happenings in the guild to the jobs that they've recently taken to Lucy's newest novel. The picnic went on until the sun began to set. Cana put the picnic set into the basket and rolled up the red blanket. Just before she and Lucy continued with their date, she slipped out the small, dark blue box and subtly hid it behind herself, being careful to not let Lucy catch sight of it.

Cana walked over and held out her free hand, asking, "wanna go for a walk?"

Lucy smiled and entwined her fingers with Cana's, answering, "I'd love to. Maybe it'll help me get some inspiration for the scene I'm stuck on."

The pair walked past the blooming cherry blossom trees, the sky darkening as the full moon began rising and bathed the land in silver moonlight. Cana could see out of the corner of her eye as Natsu, Gray, Erza, and Happy followed them, hiding behind bushes and trees and keeping their distance. It irritated her, but she didn't want them to sour her mood, so she turned her attention back to her girlfriend and inquired, "What's the scene about?"

Lucy gave Cana's hand a light squeeze and Cana answered with a light squeeze of her own. "Well, I want it to be a marriage proposal scene between the main character and her boyfriend. I haven't been able to figure out how to write it, though. It's frustrating me. I've been stuck on it for a month now."

Cana chuckled. "I'm sure that it'll come to you." She smiled as she tightened her hold on the box in her hidden hand.

After several minutes of walking in peaceful silence, Cana stopped and turned Lucy around to face her. She released her girlfriend's hand and cupped one side of her face. She smiled down at her girlfriend and remained there for a few moments, staring into her dark brown eyes that sparkled in the moonlight. The brunette eventually pulled herself out of Lucy's eyes and began, "Lucy, I love you with all of my heart. You're my best friend and the greatest girlfriend I could've ever asked for." She stopped to take a deep breath before she continued, "I know that we've only been together for one year, but I assure you that I'm completely sure of this."

She then kneeled on one knee and presented the ring inside of the small box. Lucy gasped and stared down at the ring and Cana in surprise. Cana went on, "Lucy, will you marry me?"

In a swift motion that Cana was barely able to register, Lucy dropped to her knees and pressed her lips to Cana's. Once she pulled away, the blonde grinned as tears brimmed her eyes and she answered, "yes! Yes, I would love to!"

Cana slipped the ring onto her finger and pulled her into another kiss. The two women pulled away and held each other close, gazing lovingly into each other's eyes. However, the moment was broken when Lucy's teammates burst out of the bushes they were hiding behind. They joyfully launched themselves at Lucy as they yelled out their congratulations and pulled her into a crushing hug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was pretty fun to write. I'm really enjoying the break from writing angst.

My update schedule:
February 14th: I will Live for a Million Years (Loke x Lucy ft. Aquarius)
February 16th: Laxus and Lucy from the Future (Laxus x Lucy)
February 19th: I'm Not Leaving You (Gray x Lucy)
February 22nd: The Red Bitch is Back Part 2 (Laxus x Lucy)
February 26th: You're as Intimidating as a Butterfly (Meredy x Lucy)