Want to Have Coffee with Me? (Lyon x Lucy)

This was requested on AO3 by AspenWood.

This is a reincarnation AU and takes place in the modern world.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reincarnation.

It is a phenomenon in which someone is reborn into a new life. The belief in this is ranged among the people of the world. Some believe in it, but others don't. It's a topic of debate, fueled by stories of children remembering events that they couldn't possibly have experienced personally.

The boy who remembered having been a firefighter. The girl who had memories of being a wife and mother. The twins who could recall being twins at another point in time. Deja vu, when you have an experience that feels familiar despite having never actually been through it, is often times attributed to reincarnation.

Have you ever had a line of dialogue that was stuck in your head despite having never actually heard it? Well, Lucy has, and it's been roaming through her mind during all of her lifetimes. A simple question. Six short words. She's heard a voice that wasn't hers say it in her head at the most random of times, and this had been happening since she was a child.

"Want to have coffee with me?"

Centuries in the past, when this cycle of reincarnation first began, a young heiress walked through her hometown, her hands holding up the front of her gown's skirts to allow for easier walking. She was making her way back home from visiting a close friend. She sighed, dreading the moment she would step foot into her father's mansion. She knew that she shouldn't have left without any bodyguards or a chariot, but she just wanted to walk through Magnolia, not ride in a loud chariot and without being flanked by men who were being paid by her father to scare off any person who would even attempt to talk to her.

She looked at the cobblestoned road, watching as men and women passed by, middle-class people going for evening walks, judging by their clothes. Lucy looked back ahead. She looked to her other side and noticed that she was walking by a coffeehouse. She stopped and peered inside at the people who were sitting around and sipping on hot coffee.

As she watched, a voice broke her our of her thoughts, "what are you doing out here?"

Lucy turned to see an attractive, young man approached her. His hair was a pale-blue color while his tailcoat and vest were dark blue, his pants were black, and his shirt was white. The man stopped right next to her and raised an eyebrow, waiting for her answer.

Lucy responded after she turned her full body to face him, "passing by."

"Alone?"

"Why not? Is this area dangerous?"

"No, it's just not proper for a lady to be out for a walk alone. I'm sure your father wouldn't like this."

"How do you know what my father would and wouldn't like?"

The man crossed his arms over his chest as he answered simply, "you're Lady Lucy Heartfilia, are you not?"

Lucy's eyes widened and her mouth dropped open. How did this man know who she was when she didn't know who he was? She questioned, "how do you-"

The man interupted her, saying, "I'm Lyon Vastia. I saw you at last month's ball."

Lucy stared at him in surprise. The Vastia family was below her own in terms of power and wealth, but not by much. She had expected to meet another member of the upper-class were middle-class families resided and lower-class men and women worked.