A Guy that I'd Kinda be Into (Rufus x Lucy)

This was requested on Wattpad by Charamocha.

As you can probably guess by the title, this oneshot is based on "A Guy that I'd Kinda be Into" from Be More Chill. I am a Broadway musical junkie. It was only a matter of time before I did this.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rufus sat at a table in the Fairy Tail guildhall. The guild was in chaos behind him, but he paid no mind, preferring to read the book in his hand. It took quite a bit of effort to ignore the destructive guild. He hadn't come to the guildhall of his own free will. Rather, he had been dragged there by Sting, who also dragged along Yukino, Minerva, Rogue, and Orga.

As his eyes roamed across the pages, his mind wandered away from the story and he ended up thinking about a particular blonde mage. He was silently hoping that Lucy wouldn't show up at the guild. He knew that this was a foolish wish, but he couldn't help himself.

For some time now, he had been attracted to Fairy Tail's celestial wizard. Some would say that he had fallen in love with her. He knew quickly that he had fallen for her, almost immediately, in fact. He remembered vividly the day that Lucy had shown up at the Sabertooth guildhall to visit Yukino. He had been sitting at a table and reading a book, much like he was now. When he heard Yukino's excited chatter with another woman, he had looked over at the doors of the guild and spotted Lucy. He remembered how he had suddenly felt at that moment. Looking at Lucy, he had been hit with a sudden feeling of nervousness, even despite not being near her. His gut had been filled with rapidly fluttering butterflies, his heart had ripened, and his palms were slightly moist with sweat. He had instantly noticed how truly bewitching the blonde woman was. She was dressed in a simple, pink sundress that hugged her figure perfectly.

When Lucy had glanced over at him, the memory-make mage had looked back down at his book, hoping that she hadn't been unnerved by his staring. When the two women walked by, Lucy had done something that worsened his condition: she had spoken to him.

She had stopped in her tracks as she passed by him and said hello, asking how he was. With that, Rufus was unable to speak, something that rarely ever happened to him, and his mouth was dry. He was unable to speak, so he instead waved to her and nodded. When Lucy walked away, seeming to be a bit dejected by his lack of verbal response, he silently cursed at himself for such behavior. It wasn't until later that day, when he was relaxing at his home just before bed, that he had thought about the strange occurrence. It didn't take him long to put together that he had fallen for her.

From that point on, Rufus found talking to Lucy to be difficult. He was unable to even be near her, lest he be overcome with the tale-tell signs of being in love. Now, sitting in Fairy Tail's guildhall after being dragged there, he hoped that he wouldn't have to be faced with Lucy. He hoped that Lucy would try to speak to him. He did not wish to make a fool of himself, or give Lucy any evidence that would support her suspicion that he didn't like her at all. Though, he supposed that his inability to speak to her properly was already giving that impression.

Rufus tried to return to his book and push away his thought about Lucy, but was soon interrupted when he heard a woman clear her throat. He looked up to see who was standing across from him, becoming suddenly overcome with nervousness, his body tensing at the sight of Lucy. He noticed that she was dressed in a light blue dress, which had short, puffed, off-the-shoulder sleeves. It looked beautiful on her, just as all of her other outfits did. She was looking down at him, a shy smile on her face and her cheeks dusted a lovely shade of pink.

Rufus stared up at her in silence, unable to open his mouth and speak due to his dry mouth and heavy tongue. His cheeks were burning, making him know that there was an evident blush on his face. He reached up to grab the brim of his hat and angled it so that Lucy wouldn't be able to see his blush from where she stood. His heart was beating rapidly and his stomach seemed to be doing flips.