Drawn to Her (Zeref x Lucy)

This was requested on AO3 by apolline_fairy.

WARNING: STALKING.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zeref pressed himself against a tree, hiding as he watched a certain blonde celestial wizard sitting on a bench and reading a book. He had been watching her for some time now. He couldn't figure out why, but he felt drawn to her. Whenever he was near her, his curse was under control.

It had started a few months ago. He was walking through a forest, enjoying the birdsong that came from the trees overhead, but he was also hating the loneliness that was his existence. He had heard the roar of a wyvern and the screaming of a few people. Curious as to what was happening and alarmed, he rushed to the source. Upon finding the wyvern, he hide in some undergrowth as he watched a blonde woman fight the wyvern. She wielded a whip-like weapon as she summoned a humanoid bull, a man in a suit, and a maid to fight alongside her.

Zeref was strangely captivated by her. She was beautiful and an excellent fighter. She worked very well alongside her friends and was clearly dedicated to protecting the three teenage girls who coward against a large rock. The young woman even got injured by a swipe from the wyvern's claw when she threw herself in front of the girls to protect them.

The wyvern was finally finished off and the girls ran back home when Zeref realized that his curse hadn't gone out of control. He was confused as to why it didn't happen before his eyes were drawn back to the blonde. She was suddenly alone as she sat on a rock, the cut on her arm bandaged. She was obviously tired and there was dirt covering her skin and clothing. Her short skirt was also torn.

Zeref was unable to take his black eyes off of her. She was dirty, sweaty, and exhausted, but she was still incredibly beautiful. The black arts mage contemplated approaching her to talk to her, however, he decided against it, not wanting to risk his curse going out of control if he got any closer. He didn't know why every living thing around him was still alive. This hadn't happened before.

Against his own judgment, Zeref followed the blonde, hiding behind trees, buildings, and other objects. When she walked through towns and went on a train, he still followed her, unable to stop himself. And went, his curse was still under control.

It hadn't taken him long to figure out that it was because of this woman that his curse remained stable. It was a miraculous occurrence that he couldn't explain and hadn't expected to ever happen.

Over the course of a few months, he learned a lot of things about her. Her name, her magic, her guild, her favorite food, and drink, and who her friends were. He continued to follow her and watch her. When he couldn't follow her somewhere, he would stay away from people and wait for Lucy to emerge from where she had disappeared to. Once she did, he would begin following her again, all while staying hidden from all, including her.

Something about her drew him to her. She was kind, smart, generous, strong, friendly, and so much more. He knew that following her like this was weird and creepy, and he wasn't sure what would happen if she found out about him, but he was unable to stop himself from following her.

Zeref was pulled out of his thoughts when she stood up and began walking away. Realizing that the sun was setting and it was getting dark, he knew that she was going back to her apartment. He moved away from the tree that he was hiding behind and soundlessly followed behind her, making sure to keep a distance so as to not alert her.

Upon walking into Magnolia, Zeref hid inside alleyways as he followed her. Once they reached Lucy's apartment, Zeref watched her enter and waited several minutes for her to turn off her lights and go to bed. Once he saw the lights go out, he climbed to the windowsill and sat on it, looking into the closed window and watching the sleeping celestial wizard who somehow stole his heart.

Zeref was strangely proud of himself for never entering her home or laying a finger on her in any way. He simply followed her everywhere she went and watched her from afar. As long as she was near him, he was perfectly fine with what he was doing now. He didn't care if he didn't have a chance with her, he just wanted to be near her.

When she was close by, he felt at peace and happy. All she had to do was laugh and that would cause a fluttering feeling to erupt in his stomach. His heartbeat would pick up speed every time she would smile. He would blush heavily and his cheeks would burn whenever he would simply think about her.

He watched as Lucy's ample chest rose and fell, following a rhythm that Zeref loved to see, never getting tired of following it with his eyes every night. He looked at her face and smiled at the peaceful look. She was gorgeous when she slept. His fingers twitched, wanting to run his fingertips along her smooth, flawless skin. He looked away from her, scowling at himself for wanting to cross the line that he had drawn.

After a few minutes, Zeref managed to calm himself and looked back at Lucy. He couldn't lie. He did want more. He wanted a relationship with her. He wanted to hold her, whisper sweet nothings in her ear as she drifted off to sleep, kiss her awake in the morning, confess his love to her, protect her, comfort her, marry her, have children with her. He wanted to be with her.

He wasn't a fool, though. He knew that he couldn't have any of that. He knew that he couldn't be with her. He knew that he would just have to be happy with observing her from a distance. He didn't know how long he would be able to do this, and honestly, he didn't care. He just wanted to enjoy what he had now. He knew that he couldn't do this forever, so he would cherish every smile, every laugh, every word, every second that he got.

Zeref sighed as he leaned back against the windowpane. He loved her. He truly, undoubtedly loved her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I loved writing this one. I just love ZerLu. It's a cute ship.

My update schedule:
August 30th: Bride Succubus Lucy Part 2: Alternate Ending (Vidaldus x Lucy x Juvia)
September 4th: Rune Mage to the Rescue (Freed x Lucy)
September 7th: Apology and Confession (Gajeel x Lucy)
September 12th: Reunited at Last (Mira x Lucy ft. Elfman)
September 16th: The Cat Caught the Fairy (Millianna x Lucy ft. Mirajane, Erza, Cana, and Levy)
September 20th: Mate of a Take-Over Mage (Lisanna x Lucy ft. Natsu)
September 27th: A Room Full of Lucy Ships (My Top 10 Lucy Ships)
October 1st: Go Talk to Her (Midnight x Lucy)
October 5th: Falling in Love with an Old Enemy (Minerva x Lucy ft. Natsu)
October 10th: We Wanna Ruin our Friendship! (Gajeel x Lucy x Rogue)
October 14th: Demon Lucy (Minerva x Lucy)
October 17th: Two Helping Hands and Blooming Romance (Erza x Lucy x Levy ft. Laxus)
October 20th: Rescuing Gray (Lyon x Lucy)
October 23rd: Falling for the Rescuer (Jura x Lucy)
October 25th: Swordsmanship Lessons (Kagura x Lucy)