Rune Mage to the Rescue (Freed x Lucy)

This was requested on AO3 by Blue0820.

I would like to start off by saying happy birthday to Bellaboo097023! You are a fantastic person and I love getting requests from you! I hope that your birthday is wonderful!

WARNING: MENTIONS OF TORTURE.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The guildhall doors burst open, banging against the walls and drawing the attention of every present Fairy Tail mage. In stumbled Gray and Natsu, both badly beaten and barely able to stand much longer. The entire guild gasped and watched with worry as the two men collapsed to their knees, leaning against each other.

Wendy, Mira, Lisanna, and Juvia rushed to the pair and set about taking them to the infirmary. They were stopped when they only took a few steps by Freed, who was giving the dragon slayer and ice-make mage a glare so fierce and chilling that it would scare even the great Titania.

The rune mage asked, his voice low and scarily calm, "where is Lucy?"

Natsu and Gray stared at him in horror, neither wanted to answer. Erza had gone with Makarov to a Guild Master meeting, so she wasn't present to go on a job with her team. However, Natsu, Gray, and Lucy were still set on taking a job in which they would have to defeat a dark mage that was terrorizing a town. Now, two weeks later, Natsu and Gray have returned without Lucy.

Laxus, Evergreen, and Bixlow stepped forward to stand with their friend, all having their own threatening glares that said 'you better answer his question before we give you a second thrashing.'

Gray and Natsu both gulped, wishing that they would lose consciousness already. Lucy had become very close to Laxus and the Thunder Legion after they had decided to take an S-Class job that specifically requested a celestial wizard. After that job, the blonde spent more time with them, and it didn't take long for her and Freed to fall in love. Laxus, Evergreen, and Bixlow were incredibly protective of the blonde that they viewed as a little sister, but none of them were more protective of her than Freed. The green-haired man had gained a reputation for not taking other men flirting with or threatening his girlfriend lightly. It was an unspoken rule in Magnolia that nobody messed with Lucy, or else they would have to face Laxus, Evergreen, Bixlow, and worst of all, Freed.

Freed barked at the two battered men in front of him, "where is Lucy? What happened to my girlfriend? Did you two leave her behind? If you did, I will see to it that you both truly know pain!"

Natsu trembled in fear as Gray mumbled, "the d-dark mage we went to fight...he-he was stronger than we expected."

Freed pushed past the small group of mages that stood between him and the guild's doors. He pushed the large, wooden doors open and set off to the town that his girlfriend went to, intending to get her back and use Dark Ecriture on anybody that got in his way.

Freed walked angrily up to the stone, abandoned, and broken-down small castle that lay in the forest that surrounded the town that had posted the Natsu, Gray, and Lucy's job request. A dark and cold aura that reflected his protective anger came off of him in waves. The green-haired mage could feel the demon that fueled his Dark Ecriture roaring with fury, calling for the torturous death of the bastard that harmed Lucy.

He kicked open the large, wooden door and walked inside, already drawing his rapier. He looked around, waiting for the dark mage to show himself and try to beat him. The interior of the small castle was barren and dark. Only peeling, dark red wallpaper and two staircases that lead to the second floor, one on either side of the room. In between the staircases on the wall, was a sliding, steel door.

Freed walked toward the door as he kept his guard up, prepared for a surprise attack. He had made it halfway across the room when a figure cloaked in black hopped from the second floor to right in front of the steel door. The dark mage straightened as he stood and sneered, "came for the blonde bitch, hm?"

Freed gritted his teeth at the insult toward Lucy. How dare this scum call his girlfriend such a thing? He growled, "if you give her to me now, then I will consider letting you live."

The dark mage chuckled darkly before he responded cruelly, "why would I do that? She's so much fun! I love hearing her screams as I slice her with my blade."

Freed's grip on his rapier tightened and he struggled to keep his demon from surging forward. Images of Lucy being tortured flashed through his mind causing his rage to increase tenfold. He was about to demand to know where she was when the dark mage smiled wildly as he pushed the steel sliding door open.

Freed's breath caught in his throat upon seeing what was inside the room that the steel door hid. Lucy was hanging from the ceiling, chains on her wrists that held her hands above her head. She was limp and seemed to be no longer alive. She was completely naked and deep cuts cover her bare body, blood painting her once flawless skin. Her blonde hair was matted from dried blood.

Before the dark mage could speak again, Freed lost all control of himself and screamed, "you're gonna regret touching her!" He then raised his rapier and inscribed runes on himself, casting his "Dark Ecriture: Darkness" and turning into a demonic creature. Once he transformed, the feral mage charged forward, placing himself in between the open torture room and the dark mage before he raised his arms and created a sphere-like bomb of red dark energy, throwing it at the dark mage. This created a shockwave-like effect upon impact and sent the dark mage sailing through the opposite wall and sliding across the ground outside.

Freed stalked toward the dark mage that fearfully began scrambling to escape, however, his leg was grabbed by the demonic mage, now with wings, who was attacking him, and was dragged high into the air, hanging upside down and screaming with terror.

The pissed-off Fairy Tail mage spent several minutes beating up the dark mage that tortured his girlfriend, unleashing nearly every single one of his Darkness Magic spells on him and thoroughly enjoying the cries of pain and fear that emanated from his victim.

The dark mage soon lay unmoving on the ground, almost definitely dead. Freed ran to Lucy and ripped off the chains that suspended her in the air without further harming her. He tenderly held her in his arms, staring down at her in anxious and fear-filled silence, watching for any indication that the celestial wizard that he had promised to love and protect was still alive, that he hadn't failed at being a devoted boyfriend.

After what felt like several painful hours, Lucy's beautiful brown eyes fluttered open, just enough to see who was holding her, and brought a trembling hand up to rest against Freed's furry cheek as she smiled weakly. The demonic mage purred at her touch and the knowledge that she was still alive as he dipped his head to rest his forehead against hers, both demon and man that inhabited the same body silently offering a prayer of thanks to whatever higher power that was there for letting him save her. The mage then soared back to the guild for Lucy to be tended to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't go much longer without writing angst, so I decided that this one would be angst heavy. I love protective Freed! So much angst and fluff potential!

My update schedule:
September 7th: Apology and Confession (Gajeel x Lucy)
September 12th: Reunited at Last (Mira x Lucy ft. Elfman and Lisanna)
September 16th: The Cat Caught the Fairy (Millianna x Lucy ft. Mirajane, Erza, Cana, and Levy)
September 20th: Mate of a Take-Over Mage (Lisanna x Lucy ft. Natsu)
September 27th: A Room Full of Lucy Ships (My Top 10 Lucy Ships)
October 1st: Go Talk to Her (Midnight x Lucy)
October 5th: Falling in Love with an Old Enemy (Minerva x Lucy ft. Natsu)
October 10th: We Wanna Ruin our Friendship! (Gajeel x Lucy x Rogue)
October 14th: Demon Lucy (Minerva x Lucy)
October 17th: Two Helping Hands and Blooming Romance (Erza x Lucy x Levy ft. Laxus)
October 20th: Rescuing Gray (Lyon x Lucy)
October 23rd: Falling for the Rescuer (Jura x Lucy)
October 25th: Swordsmanship Lessons (Kagura x Lucy)
October 30th: Drawn to Her Part 2 (Zeref x Lucy)
November 3rd: I Died Inside Everyday (Gray x Lucy)
November 5th: Fiery Rival (Lisanna x Lucy ft. Cana, Mira, Levy, Wendy, and Genderbent Natsu)
November 7th: A Lion's Pride (Loke x Lucy)
November 10th: Why Choose? (Freed x Lucy x Rufus)
November 13th: Cuddles and Protective Teammates (Cana x Lucy ft. Team Natsu)