He's My Soulmate! (Zeref x Lucy ft. Natsu, Gray, and Happy)

This was requested on AO3 by Torhu_008.

This is a soulmate AU and diverts quite a bit from canon. I wasn't really sure which of Natsu and Zeref's fights to set this in, so I thought, "why not make one up?" And that's what I did.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucy sat against a tree trunk, staring at the inside of her wrist. She had managed to get a break from their Alverez Empire problem to have some time to herself. Her lips were pressed into a thin line, and her brown eyes were locked onto the writing that was etched into her skin.

There was a thing called "soulmates." From the day that you are born, you have a name engraved on the inside of your wrist. This name is your soulmate, who you are destined to fall in love with. After running away, Lucy wasn't keen on people seeing the name of her soulmate. To remedy this, she would use makeup or clothes to cover the name.

She hadn't been very concerned about finding her soulmate, but now, she was wishing that she would never come face-to-face with him. Her eyes boor into her marked skin, seeming to be willing the name to change or disappear.

Zeref.

That was the name that was written on the underside of her wrist. She remembered when she first heard the name spoken aloud, but it was followed by the fact that this Zeref guy was an evil wizard. Upon hearing that for the first time, her mind had gone straight to the name on her wrist. There was no way that her soulmate could be some long-dead dark wizard. That was impossible. But, nevertheless, she couldn't stop herself from thinking about the idea. Surely, she told herself, it was just a coincidence. Her real soulmate and this dark wizard shared the same name, that was all.

But now, she wasn't so sure about that. With the knowledge that Zeref was not only still alive, but also the leader of their latest enemy, she began to question if he really was her soulmate. What would that mean for her life now, Lucy questioned herself. Was she going to need to leave Fairy Tail and join her soulmate? Would her friends hate her? Could she avoid meeting Zeref? She didn't want to leave Fairy Tail. She didn't want to turn on her friends and fight them.

How could she avoid meeting Zeref and falling in love with him? That was the only solution that she could think of: avoid meeting him in person so that she won't fall in love with him and wait for him to be killed.

She sighed. She had to get back to the guild soon. She wondered if she'd be able to avoid being sent to help defeat him. She pushed herself to her feet and took a few steps before she heard a voice behind her ask, "are you Lucy?"

Lucy stopped in her tracks, her breath hitched and her body froze. She silently prayed that this guy wasn't who she thought he was as she listened to his footsteps come closer to her. She felt him take hold of her wrist and turn it over.

"Don't touch me!" She shouted and pulled her wrist away, taking a few steps back. She was faced with a young, black-haired man who was dressed in robes. Her brow furrowed at him and she held her wrist against her body. Her mind raced to figure out what she should do. She couldn't run to Fairy Tail because that would mean leading their enemy to the guildhall. She also knew that she couldn't fight him, not by herself.

She watched as the man raised his hands defensively, saying, "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise."

Lucy barked, "stay away from me! I want nothing to do with an evil wizard!"

A look of hurt took over his face, causing Lucy to feel guilt stab at her heart. She swallowed down the apology that rose into her throat and she maintained her glare that was fixed on him.