Making Love Out of Nothing at All (Rufus x Lucy)

This was requested on AO3 by Pup.

The requester wanted this oneshot to feature the song "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply. I hope that this isn't too similar to "Time After Time." The lyrics in this oneshot were given to me by the requester, so if you notice any changes to the original lyrics, then that is why.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rufus peeked through the closed curtain at the mages that filled Fairy Tail's guildhall. His green eyes quickly fell onto Lucy, sitting with her team as she laughed and talked with them. His gaze softened at the sight of her, looking just as beauteous as she always looked. He felt butterflies erupt in his gut when he caught sight of her bright smile. One would expect him to be nervous, at least a little, but he wasn't. Rather, he was excited to serenade his girlfriend.

He and Lucy had been dating for a little over a year, having made their relationship public only a few months after the beginning of their relationship. Despite being together for about a year, they had yet to say "I love you" to each other, not even on their one-year anniversary a month ago. Rufus was determined to let her know just how much he loves her and take that next step in their relationship. He was going to tell her that he loved her.

"So, Rufus, are you nervous?"

He turned around to see one of his backup singers, Mira, dressed in a black, strapless, sheath dress. He released the curtain and turned his body to face the white-haired woman, answering with a smile, "no, not at all."

Mira's smile widened and she cooed, "this is so sweet of you, Rufus! I just know that Lucy will love your song!" She then placed her hands against her own cheeks and continued with a dreamy tone of voice, "I also can't wait for your babies to start running around Fairy Tail and Sabertooth."

Rufus chuckled, having expected Mira to say such a thing. He reached forward to pull Mira's hands away from her face, getting her attention, before he responded, "how about you daydream about mine and Lucy's future children after I proclaim my love to my girlfriend?"

Mira exclaimed, "so you admit that you want to have kids with her!" She sounded as though she had triumphed in getting him to admit something that he had previously been fervently denying.

Rufus chucked before he spoke, "Lucy and I have yet to have a serious conversation on the topic, but yes, I would like to have a family with her."

Upon hearing that, Mira turned and ran to Levy and Yukino, telling them what she had just been told. The three backup singers squealed, causing Rufus to look back at the mages on the other side of the curtain to ensure that they had not heard the almost deafening sound. Fortunately, nobody seemed to be paying any mind.

The memory-make mage made his way over to the piano that sat in the middle of the stage. He quickly made sure that his outfit of a white dress shirt and black slacks was straight and neat before he placed his hands on the rim of his signature hat, wondering if he should take it off. Quickly deciding to leave the hat nestled on top of his head, he sat on the seat in front of the piano and looked at his three backup singers, all dressed in similar black sheath dresses, instructing them, "please get into places and prepare to sing."

Mira, Levy, and Yukino nodded before they rushed to stand at the end of the piano, Mira standing right next to the instrument, followed by Yukino, and then Levy. Rufus turned to nod at Mira's sister, Lisanna, telling her to announce his performance and open the curtains.

After announcing to the gathered mages and quieting them, the youngest Strauss sibling opened the curtains, revealing the performing mages. Rufus glanced over at his girlfriend, seeing that she was staring at him, a mixture of confusion and awe in her enchanting brown eyes.