Work for it

Stephen stood outside Katlin Starks apartment for what felt like hours. He would go to knock and lose the courage, he would try again but his hand wouldn't let him hit the door. Finally he was about to give up and slide the necklace under the door when it swung open. Kat's face stared at him, confusion plastered over her delicate features. Blue- green eyes taking him in.

'so the robes and capes you used before are just for when you're playing doctor?' kat asked a smirk on her lips as she took in the jeans and shirt. He was a normal person. Maybe him and his friend LARPed.

'oh those are... um... I'm Stephen strange.'

'you certainly are strange.'

'no really that's my last name.' she gave him a look that said prove it. He pulled out his wallet and showed her. she took it from him and laughed.

'shit, that is your name.' she handed it back to him. 'what can I do for you Strange?' she had a smile that showed her teeth, big and wide and it made Stephen want to smile too. He stared at her, why was he here? Why was he here? He was here with a purpose, then he saw the glimmer of the necklace in his hand.

'actually it is what I can do for you...' he held out the necklace. Kats hand went to her throat.

'I didn't even notice it was gone. Thank you.' She took it from him, putting it on immediately. 'I love this thing. My mom gave it to me before she passed... thank you Stephen.' He nodded at a loss for words, caramel colored hair fell down past her shoulders and she was wearing big blue glasses, her eyes vibrant underneath them.

'oh.. of course. You're welcome.'

'and I'm gonna pretend its not creepy that you found out where I live' she teased.

'oh i-'

'its cool. Thanks for this but I'm actually heading out...' she looked him over as she locked her door. He was tall, thin and actually quite handsome now that he wasn't in a cape. But who was she to judge she flew around in a metal suit and hung out with a guy that turned green.

'oh right of course... well... it was nice meeting you... take care.'

'hey Stephen..' he stopped and turned back to her, still the big smile on her lips. 'would you maybe wanna grab drinks sometime?'

'drinks?' his throat went dry.

'or dinner? Drinks over dinner?' she offered they walked slowly down the hall.

'dinner?'

'With me...' her smile fell, she hadn't done this in forever, was she being too pushy? Was he really not interested? why was he repeating everything? 'you know what? Forget I asked, I'm sorry.' She pressed the button for the elevated but debated flying out the window. This was really embarrassing. She had only ever dated tony, married tony, she didn't have to deal with online dating, weird first dates and the pool of awful men in the world.

'no, I mean yes. I mean...' breathe Stephen. 'I would really like that.' she turned to him. ' I mean...' he was transfixed by her eyes. He had to stop staring at her, he looked down.

'Wouldnt you like to know?' Stephen looked up from his feet she was biting her lip as she watched him. 'if what you clearly read about me is true... wouldn't you like to know if I am the girl of your dreams?' confidence was key. If you were gonna go for it, go for it.

'I would.' He said smiling as the elevator arrived.

'Good gimme your phone' she typed her number in as the stepped onto the elevator. 'not that you need my number because I'm sure if you found my address you could find my number, but I don't want to make you work for it... yet.'